Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding equpiment guys whats your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have an opportunity to pick up a welder and Mig wire feed head at a real good deal.
    for some work done

This is a 220 V single phase set up
    any of you out there running this type of set up? or any welders that can give me some idea of the good or bad of this combination?

The 220 Welder is a Miller Thunderbolt XL
    and the wire feed is a Lincoln LN-25

pro's..conn's?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. I'm not fond for Lincoln, but the Miller welder is a good one. You should be able to open the side and move the bus bar in order to switch it from High to Low, so that machine should do both 'short circut' and 'spray transfer' weld process'

Would cover alum, steel, chomoly, sheet metal to multiple pass 1/4" plate and thicker.

The feeder is a feeder and I'd just use it till you find a Miller. Carl Hagan

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both are quality items & should satisfy all your welding requirements---BUY EM'---Don

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks guys,
    I have heard good things about the LN-25..but dont have personal experiance with them..
    they are complete units with flow meter, positive and negative leeds, also plenty of power cord.
    just a few gun parts missing, but they are easy stuff to pick up at the local welding store.

I had to give back my friends welder that he lent me for 2 years...and i have a 110V welder, but they suck..so i want to get my own and this deal is smokin'

5. Go for it, you will be happy. As for Miller being better. My good friend Randy is a professional fabricator and "road tested" both brands before his newest purchase. He traded in his old large Miller and is happy as a clam with his two new Lincolns, one mig, one tig.

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

to each his own,Ilike MILLER,but if you are getting a good deal,don"t pass it up cause the next one you look at will be twice as much money and probably not work right.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Both Units have been checked out, and have "Good to Go" tags on them.

looks like both units have very little time on them..im basically getting them for nothing out of pocket..payment for a job well done.
    Times are tuff , and they didnt have money to pay me, so they offered this.
    Im not going to turn it down.
    Seems like the hook up should be a no brainer, and they should work well together, (i hope)
    i priced the feeder at between $1,500 and the box at 5 or 600$.used,.aprox..
    new the feeder goes for 1,800 or more and the box im not sure.

8. Tex-T

Tex-T

I have a Miller Thunderbolt XL. I really like it. I've welded everyting on my T-Bucket from the frame up. I like being able to "dial in" the amps.I've had it about 5 years, no problems.
    Tex-T

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

are you using it as stick only? or are you also using it to feed a wire feeder?

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I've had good luck with both miller and lincoln. Having a background as a pipeliner for a few stints I can tell you that lincoln makes some of the best welders around. They are what welded most of the pipelines that carry the eventual fuel for our toys.

Sounds like you can't go wrong for no money out of pocket and it would be good karma to help someone in a bind out in these tough times.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks Guys

Guess i cant go wrong for the money:rolleyes::D

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Go for it! I've had great luck with both Miller and Lincoln

13. Punk_from_palmy

Punk_from_palmy

Personally I'd go for the machines my father designed. Called XcelArc.
    He designed them with his buddy that owns/runs Esseti, and believe me they are good, akin to what a common Porsche is to a Ferrari. Wonder if thats a good analogy (a reliable cheap posche with great performance, if it exists ;) )...
    Esseti are italian made machines, so yeah :p

But, Millers have always been decent too. Mostly simple, reliable and built like a brick shithouse.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

:confused:..he didnt have any of those:confused:..so i went with what he did have;)

sometimes i wonder if people "really " read these threads before they reply???

but thanks anyhow:rolleyes:

15. 1arock

1arock

I've burned 1000's of pounds of wire(most if it big .064 or better and 200+ amps) through a LN25 its a quality unit. IMO

16. 61bone

61bone

Holy smokes, he's giving you a LN-25? UUUMMM cruise control. I had to beg the company to get one for doing buildup work. With .080 on a Lincoln 600 I could build 1"grouser 3/8" in a single pass. Built up 6"x 14" pins 1/4" in a lathe with it. Take about a half hour and when properly set up, the pins could be finished with a single roughing pass and a couple finish passes. You'll find it not really for light work, but will do it. It should be great trading stock to get what you want.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

he's not "Giving" it to me.. read,.post #7 and #1

I Did a job for him..the guy lost a few contracts and things got tight , so he asked me if i would take this in lew of cash, or wait it out..

I opted for the welder, because all i have now is my 110V welder, after giving my friends 220V welder back to him to start his Hot Rod Frame Build

18. God damn, does anybody ever read the whole fucking post before they reply,
    He said he was taking it in lue of payment
    Jeezus people..

19. 61bone

61bone

Thats the same as giving it to him in my book.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

working for something..isnt worth free in my world, i would never expect someone to do something for me for free, I pay my way

"giving" implies i did nothing for it..and that isnt the case..

why the hell am i defending myself to this guy:confused: