Register now to get rid of these ads!

Convert vintage turn signal to use brake light?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuiltFerComfort, Feb 19, 2010.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I got a neat NOS vintage turn signal. It's very vintage - no brake light switching.

[​IMG]

The cool thing about it is that it has a little nub that goes on the bottom of the wheel and makes it self-canceling. (I've tried the kind with rubber wheels for self canceling, and they slip.) The problem is that there are only two wires out of it - left and right - so it won't flash my brake lights. So how do I convert it? Some combination of relays / diodes perhaps?

[​IMG]

What I want is to end up with something that functions like this (animated gif) switch - but I need to do the brake-light-flashing part of it outside the switch.

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I thought I had it figured out while falling asleep last night but no, in the light of day my idea wouldn't work.

Thanks HAMB!

2. Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. Andy

Andy

I have used double pole,double throw relays from the Shack. I have a toggle that just grounds the relay for the direction I want to turn. I use single filament bulbs and flash the marker lights and the brake lights. Get the relays and use you great turn signal assy only to ground the relays. I have used this on two cars for 40 years!! Works perfect.

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

5. oj

oj

Thats odd, never seen one like that - wonder what its' for? What i would be doing is using those componants and using the switch body (the insides) from an old signal-stat 700. Probably hell doing the self cancel part, but i bet it can be done. It wouldn't surprise me that the dual circuit contact mounting points would be already there. They probably made basically one mounting board for all flaser assemblies and depending on the model different points are used. I hope i am explaning myself ok, how about a pic of the inside and mfgr?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. mustangsix

mustangsix

7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I ordered the trailer light converter - under $10 and free shipping from Amazon. That should be the easiest way by far, thanks Jack. One less thing to worry about... only 463 left :)

8. Ice man

Ice man

Signal Stat made a turn sw the had built in self canceling of brake lamp and or front parking lamp so they would flash. No need to change bulbs, just follow the wiring schemetic, and you good to go

9. Andy

Andy

I still like the relay deal better. The trailer box will not flash the front turn signals. You can add another switch and have 4-way with the relay. All the diagrams do the same thing. Radio Shack No shipping