Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

10 pages and no mention of yenko stingers????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

That slammed out corvair with the astros is fuckin cool.I have been offered one and this thread is good to see.
    how did he lower that thing? Is it similar to a VW? Can one be bagged fairly easy?

Attached Files:

4. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

US30 Gary Indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Probably similar to a VW. Lowering the front is easy, but the rear isn't, at least on a 60-64. The early ones only have 1 u-joint per side so lowering can really affect camber/alignment etc. The best way around that is to swap over the suspension from a 65-69, or lower the motor... and scrape everything until your oil pan leaks. :) Apparently, the late models (65-69) aren't too hard to lower. They have dramatically improved suspensions, and 2 u-joints per side.

6. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

How about the largest Corvairs... The Ultra Van! The Corvair Society of America (CORSA) recognizes the Ultra Van as a true Corvair marque. (370 produced)

The Ultra Van is a unique motorhome. Powered by a Corvair engine and transaxle, it was designed by David Peterson (a professional aircraft designer) in the early sixties. These units were produced in limited quantities by the Ultra Van Corporation of Hutchinson, Kansas until June of 1970.

[​IMG]

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

8. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

VWs and Vairs are quite different. Vairs are coil srung, VWs have torsions mounted lt to rt. Vairs are usualy dropped by cutting springs. Something that low would have to be air or hydraulic to be safe or practical one bit. Seems it would be easier to bag a Vair.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  9. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Early Corvairs have a similar swing axle setup similar to early bugs. If you cut the coils on the rear the tires will tilt in at the top.

10. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

True. Camber wont hurt much, toe has to be on though, or you get nasty results.

Only reason they get camber is because of what Hellfish said, they have a single u-joint at the output on the trans on the earlies, along with a similar setup on the axle of a earlie VW, that is about the only similarities (it is called a swing axle). The front is completely different between a VW and Corvair.

11. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

That feb. 63' cover of Hot Rod is what made me do this./Users/donkendall/Desktop/Corvair .JPG

Attached Files:

12. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"Camber wont hurt much"
    It will wear off the inside edge of the tire.

Stock is: ll ll

Cambered is: // \\

13. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Not as bad as toe in or out.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Stop in for a look, i dig on them corvair.

15. evil erik

evil erik

When I was a kid in high school my dad and I started to work on his 63 Spyder that had a "stuck" turbo. We took an auto body class together at the local Vo-Tech and a guy in the class said that "he had one of those turbos stored in his barn", which at first seemed far-fetched, but it turned out to be the real deal, so we talked the guy into parting with his "stored turbo", which ran like a champ!

That was over twenty years ago, which unfortunately never was finished, but now I am thinking it would be a fun project to share with my boys in the near future!

Maybe when the Merc is done, right in time for my twin boys to get their driver's licenses!?

Cool to see what other vairs are out there!

16. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

What are those lights on the hood? Like a cop car?

17. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Can definetly tell your not a early VW guy. It just goes with the territory if you have a dropped early. I would post up some pics of my bug but some people seem to feel threatened by VW's around here. Would hate to be the reason this thread gets locked. Lol.

18. Texas Josh

Texas Josh

I used to work for the guy who had bought that crazy metal flake corvair on ebay from a guy in cali. The price he got it for was stupid. When he went to go pick it up the guy had 3 other guys waiting to buy it if my boss would have said no. But ebay is a binding contract and he perty much stole that car from the dude. I miss workin for that dude. The chopped & BAGGED 47 ford in the back was the shop truck. Had a stroker in it. I lit up a many intersections in that truck and busted a few kids.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  19. Hellfish

Hellfish

I have twin girls... one may get the 'vair and the other might get my wife's Morris Minor. 2 relatively slow cars with bucket seats, manual trans shifters, and no real back seat. Perfect. :D They're only 2 now, so I have awhile to think about.

Nothing wrong with VWs, Kevin.

20. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Hellfish, you seem as open minded as I am to different types of cars. Ive seen people get nasty on here about them, just trying not to stir the water.

Im into Hot Rods, VW's, Customs, Vairs, you name it, but this is a Rod sight so I guess I understand. Not trying to tic anyone off.

21. racer756

racer756

Corvairs are just plain cool.. I dont care what Ralph sez..

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

There's a 'vair performance seminar in Indy in March

23. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My wife and I have a 63 coupe. Was supposed to be hers, but she didn't want to deal with car seats in a small 2 door once kids came along. Was at 69000 documented original miles when we bought it 4-5 years ago. Was my daily for about 2 1/2 years, 40 mile daily commute. With the carbs dialed in I averaged 28 mpg. It's completely stock, 102 hp, 4 speed, white with red interior. nice driver.

Anybody remember Spy Vs Spy from Mad Magazine?

Hers is the white guy, sweet mild, all stock. I want to build a black early with shiny paint, lipstick red interior, and killer 496 in the back seat area.

Devin

24. oldskool30

oldskool30

Learned to drive a stick in a 66 monza.. the same one I wrecked when I was 11 .. Sure was a fun car to drive through the twisties though

25. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

What are some good parts shops for these?

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

Clarks
    Corvair Underground
    Rafees
    California Corvairs
    and more... there are many, many suppliers

27. evil erik

evil erik

28. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Clarks= good parts and service.

Haven't ordered from Rafee yet, plan on soon, seems like a great guy and very knowledgable.

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

Clark's is the most well known and has the easiest site to use, but Corvair Underground is a very reputable dealer, too, and the owner, Lon Wall, regularly posts on the Corvair Forum (Corvair Center) and shares his knowledge. I haven't dealt with the other shops, but I only listed ones that I heard good things about.

30. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Saw these on line, didnt know what one was the best. thanks guys btt