Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

i agree!

:cool:

2. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Looks like "our own" Markyac chevelle wagon. Ragtop is Al Corda - probably while still in Pa before moving to Wisc?

3. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Great looking car and nice guys. I had one of their T shirts at one time.

4. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

re. wagon killer post #5501 ---anyone else want to show their displeasure with this post? JAKE

5. I don't know about anyone else,but I think their is a point where a line has to be drawn as far as words and inundos.
    I don't feel that this site is the place to use the "F" word. Unfortunately some people cannot say a sentence without using it every other word.
    This same person {straightaxle65} uses the signatrure phrase" If your wife needs a good falcon send her over and we will dicker". Funny? A good play on words? I don't think so.
    I complained to "straigghtaxle65" and his reply to me was if your mind is in the gutter then you take it the wrong way.
    I am no angel and I am almost 67 and can honestly tell you that I have used the "F" word twice in my life. Once was repeating a story told to me and the other was testifying at a hearing,where I had to repeat exactly what was said to me . There is no reason to use it and I think someone should tell this jerk to clean up his act.

Dom

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I appoligize to anyone thats is offended by my choise of words. My intension was to not offend anyone.
    I have always liked that Ford Wagon and when I saw those pictures for the first time last night I was overwelmed with how cool that car is and thats what I typed and I should of worded it different. My mistake.

As far as my signiture phrase? Well, like I told Dom, that was first told to me years back by an old guy who was a Ford saleman. As he told me,sure its a clever play on words but it also says "If your wife wants a car we can deal" Like many other phrases they can be takin serious or if your minds in the gutter, taking not so serious.

Again, I appoligize.....................Now if the Politically Correct Police will allow us, Lets get back to Jr. Stockers.

7. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

If you didn't like the man's post i agreed with why not go and directly QUOTE IT?

Or did you have a problem with me your "Highness"?

I have been very thankfull for info and friendship shown by the people here and in turn tried to be respectfull and decent.

OMG the man dropped an F-BOMB never been in a garage?Sorry but he said EXACTLY what i thought about that car.so i agreed.

Some people express themselves differently than others,and eveyone is entitled to thier opinion!

8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

[​IMG]
    #3 photo. How cool is that.Straight 8 Buick smoking the Falcon wagon.You don't see these in Stock eliminator anymore.Glad I grew up when I did.

9. OK. Now that you cleaned up your act on the signature phrase how about removing the "F" word and using another adjective?

Dom

10. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Speaking of P.C. reminds me of Pat McVickers and the Badfinger 66 Biscayne he built for super stock. This was after his stocker hit a boulder on the way (or way home) from York. He had Mr. J paint a huge "finger" (yes, the finger) on the roof and when he took it to, I think Indy, they made him cover it up. This was back in the very early 70's (almost 40 years ago). After spending 22 years in the Air Force (from Vietnam to Somalia) and the past 16 in aircraft manufacturing I find the "F" word to be pretty common in the work place, but it is unusual in a public forum. I wouldn't have had McVickers cover up the finger though.

11. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

''

oh oh look out the forum police!seriously do you check all the forums for f-bombs? i have seen the word here other places before.do you tell everyone on the hamb what to do?

Sorry i have a problem with censorship and supressed freedom of expression.He didn't use the word to offend anyone and kindly asked we get back to the JR STOCK topic.

and i agree with him once again!

12. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I wouldn't of had him cover it either! Thanks for the interesting story!

13. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I'm sure you felt alot better after your 50th post when you became a newbie and was no longer referred to as an "FNG"

And as for you calling me a jerk.....................Sticks and stones may break my bones.....But whips and chains excite me:p

14. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Ok, Back to the Stockers....................................

15. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Why thanks you Sir. Can you imagine if everyone that viewed the Jungle Pam picture thread would have expressed there every thought:eek:

16. ...back to stockers come on guys
    -Dean

17. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks for the picture! I never realized Tritac an Morgan ran a 2 door. I have only seen there wagon. Did they have any other cars?

18. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I'll second that Motion.

By the way, Hows the restoration of the In-Bomber coming along?

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Yeah, no sh!t! Oops. ;)

20. racemad55

racemad55

That's not Pauls vette,his was a 65' fastback,c/mp or d/gas

21. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I'm sure its been posted somewhere here before but does anyone have any pictures of the "SHAKER" 62 Plymouth driven by Dave Kenyon (I hope I got that last name right)?

I have an article about the car in and old Super Stock or maybe Dragstrip magazine but would love to see some other shots of that car!

22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I knew Dave Kempton fairly well in the early days. He was the Stock Tech Official at Old San Gabriel Drag Strip until it closed in 1963. He had more than one '62, 361-powered stocker but the first that I remember was a Sport Fury w/bucket seats. I'm not sure that is the one in the Indy picture but it is the one that he drove to the Divisional points meet at Ramona in 1964 and won the event. A few weeks later my late wife and I flat towed him to the next event, at Fremont. That one was rained out.

In addition to the C/SA cars he also had a factory-sponsored AMC. AMX in Super Stock, a Super Stock '64 Plymouth, as well as at least one '62 wagon that was driven by his son, Mark. For a number of years, Dave was the only driver that had won both Indy and Pomona in Stock Eliminator. In those days, there were only a handful of national events each year, not a couple per month. Dave was a great guy and the sport benefitted from his presence.

c

Attached Files:

23. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

If you look at the top of the list you'll see Tom Pauser's name in a 67 Vette. I think at that time he was driving a 69 Corvette out of Joe Corbo's Sunoco in Somerville. Maybe a little seat swapping there. The 69 picture sure looks like Corbo's Corvette but 40 years will cloud the RAM.

24. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Heres Tritak and Morgan with Grumpys Nova in the background. Location unknown.

Attached Files:

25. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Anyone notice the hemi hood scoop on the max wedge car (SS/EA)? Wonder why? The photo in post #5521 shows a flat hood.

[​IMG]

26. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Yes,Kempton! Thanks for the correction. Wow! Thats an impressive Stocker resume. Is Dave and his son still around and do they do any racing anymore?

27. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Aside from finding an old rule book is there a place on the internet or elsewhere that has the rules from back in the day If you wanted to build a period correct Jr. Stocker?

28. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Sadly, Dave Kempton passed away several years ago. As far as I know, Mark still lives in Southern California but I have not seen him since he brought Dave to a race in Pomona at least ten years ago. I'm probably not the best source of information since lots of cars ran down the track between the time I last had a conversation with Dave and the time of his passing. I remember him as a dedicated racer and a gentleman in all respects. He would have been about 80 years of age by this time. I don't have a lot of pictures of his cars but these are representative of the quality of his work.

c

Attached Files:

29. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

No doubt there is someone reading this message that has a full set of rulebooks from the old days. If not, this thread and its contributors possess all the knowledge you need. Many of us built cars and campaigned cars during that era. If you have a period-correct vehicle (there were more cars running competitively than just '57 sedan deliveries, '58 Pontiacs, and '63 Plymouths), the battle is more than 1/2 over. If you're curious, ask questions here, sort through the responses to weed out the irrational ones, draw logical conclusions, and go to work. We did it back then, it can be done now.

One thing is certain, a devotee who chooses to build a period-correct car would be able to do so today without exposing the work to the ultimate judges. Farmer Dismuke and Marty Barratt are no longer waiting in the barn to decide who goes and who stays. I'll have raced stockers across a span of forty-seven years (as soon as I go down the track this year, hopefully sometime next week) and I've never experienced a moment of more intense panic that was greater than that which accompanied my first national event teardown. Waiting in a line of fifteen or twenty racers, moving ever nearer to the moment of truth (cc burette, valve spring tester, flashlight) was an exquisite agony. What if the borrowed valve spring tester wasn't calibrated correctly, what if the machine shop formula that dictated the number of chamber cc's removed for every .010 of milling was faulty, what if my admittedly inexperienced "feel" in calculating camshaft duration was lacking? ..."what if" multiplied by dozens of operations from checking the wheelbase to setting up the carburetor. I swear those guys could sit there for hours, pouring, measuring, staring, frowning, never smiling, and make the last guy sweat just as profusely as the first.

Anyway, if you want to build a Junior Stocker, go for it. We can walk you through it. Good luck.

c

30. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Chuck, the way Farmer explained it to me when I just starting as a rookie techman in teardown, "we only have a few minutes to find what a racer has all year to hide, so be thorough and don't overlook anything." I must admit it has been interesting to be on the inside looking out as I am ready to start my 42nd year as a Stock/SS techman. Still, I do miss the days when Farmer and Marty had control over tech.

Travis