Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anybody make a quiet elec. fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Jan 27, 2010.

1. just like the title reads. and before you tell me to run mechanical i can't it hits the frame on my car. i bought an electric summit unit and i hate it.

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The one in my '36 is like a "low fuel" warning. When it starts hammering, I have about 2 miles to go no matter what the fuel gauge says...

3. Factory in-line electric pump for an S-10 pickup is quiet

4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I have the summit pump too. It's pretty loud overall. I think it is resonating on the frame so I am going to try isolating it with a thin piece of rubber to see if that helps. how is yours mounted?

5. All modern cars have electric fuel pumps...you can't hear them. For the most part the pumps are submerged in the fuel tank, which helps dampen the vibrations (noise). The street rod and race car market sells a number of submergible pumps. You have to be careful of baffling and starvation issues, because the fuel tank does not "drain" out of the bottom.

I chose not to go with a submergible pump for the latter two reasons; the pump on my car was isolated using refrigeration pipe insulation; if you want to look at my HAMB build thread see below. The pump is pretty quiet and residual vibration is low frequency so it's not too objectionable.

Good luck,
    trakrodstr

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356019&showall=1

I just looked back in my thread...go to Post #230

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. Slightly notch and box-in the frame..... I had to do this for alternator clearance on another build..... It can be done nicely and be virtually un-noticeable.... Even rubber mounted, unless an electric pump is submerged it is going to sound like just that, a noisy electric pump......

Good Luck!!!

James

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I mounted mine on a piece of angle and sandwiched a layer of rubber,aluminum,rubber,aluminum,rubber,aluminum and rubber when I mounted it. The only time I hear it is when I turn the ignition on initially and it is quiet the rest of the time. The rubber absorbs the noise and the aluminum reflects the noise so by the time it reaches the mounting point it has been attenuated. Learneed this trick when I was doing acoustical research.

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I have a Carter rotary..even in my open roadster I can't hear it. Slight whirring sound if you lay on the ground near it mounted on frame.
    Not expensive..about $80..

9. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

10. OneBad56

OneBad56

I have a holley blue electric frame mounted, and even though its isolated with rubber, still makes a gawd awful amount of noise.

A shop recommended the Edelbrock 1791 or 1792 series of electric pumps, supposedly pretty quiet and no regulator is requuired.

Carter also makes a super quiet electric pump, and with quick disconnects.

11. I use a holley blue also. It's in my trunk, next to the fuel cell in my avatar. I mounted it on rubber, I can't hear it over the engine anyways.

12. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Aeromotive is hands down.....................but they are also quite expensive!

I've got one of these in my O/T Vette, and it's just as noisey as the Holley in my '52 Chevy.

13. cracker head

cracker head

What kind of pressure do they put out? Do you have a part # or year model of the s-10?

14. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Carter elecric # p4070. Comes with a rubber isolated bracket.
    Works great and quiet.
    Dave

15. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Carter's quiet, Holley's aren't...

16. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Yep, the Carter electric pumps are both quiet and reliable.

Had one of the P4070 pumps (4-6 psi, no regulator needed) on one of my cars, 5 years and 30K miles with no issues.

Carter also makes higher-flowing pumps that put out more pressure.

Holley also has a new line of pumps out now that are much quieter and a lot more reliable than the old noisy blue pumps, a friend of mine runs one and he loves it.

17. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

If you're looking for aftermarket at the shop we only use Holley's 125 pump. I can't remember the P/N off the top of my head but these pumps are quiet as hell and flow some decent amounts of fuel. We install them on "street rods" -non hamb friendly stuff (very high dollar jobs) that guys want to hear nothing but a little rumble from the exhaust. We've never had a problem with them and the highest horse motor we've run was a 425 horse 383 chev with not a single problem at all

18. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

I don't post much on here guys, but I would have thought you would have wanted to go with soemthing more "historically correct" than all of those options posted.

If you've got moddest hp say 250 or so, a single dupree or autopulse bellows would do just fine. They were made in both 6 and 12 volt. and look like this:

[​IMG]

Now if you need more fuel supply they offer them in duplex and triplex versions too!
    [​IMG]

Am I off base here?

19. sinticket

sinticket

CARTER works great!!!!

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Old hot rod rule of thumb, "The louder the exhaust, the quieter the electric fuel pump":cool::)

Frank

21. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

PxTx, those are some awesome looking pumps, where can you find them at?

22. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

The simplex pumps are everywhere, although NLA new. All of the service parts to re-build them are still avialable. You can search under Autopulse, Dupree, Airtex, AC Delco, Mopar or even just electric fuel pump onyur favorite auction site. They are there everyday.

The multiple pumps were OE for some higher end cars like Duesenbergs and such. These ones here I've searched for a long time. You can take the simplex pumps and string them together. The manifold is tricky, but people fab them up different ways.

Here are two examples:
    [​IMG]

and this triplex manifold is being reproduced
    [​IMG]

I beleive this manifold works with both the later ones I previously posted and these earlier ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. My favorite ones are the ones that look like a fuel filter with two wires running out.

They are very quiet and safe. They can not spill fuel if something goes wrong.

I am very much afraid of the ones pictured in a few previous posts.

Long ago I used to use that kind. I think they were sold using the Carter and AC brand labels.
    I had a diaphragm break on one once. Gasoline ran everywhere. The bolt-together "can" did not contain the fuel.

Ever since then I have been using the ones with a completely closed and sealed "container". Those are the ones that look like the fuel filters with two wires running out.

I bought them at AutoZone, Advance Auto, and I think NAPA.

The last price I remember paying for one was $45.

When I started running a big Cadillac 472 in my Studebaker Hawk (since the late 80's), I used two of those pumps side-by-side just in case I needed extra fuel.

Nearly always I ran just one of them at a time, and never ran short of fuel.

The best thing about them is that if I ever have a fuel pump failure, all I have to do is flip a switch and keep on driving.
    NEVER will I have to climb under the car at the side of the road many miles from home to fix a pump that failed on a long trip. I used to do that with the other pumps.
    These seem to hold up much longer than the other types I have tried in the past.

fuel_pump.jpg

24. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

If you're single, leave it noisy. Your first date who doesn't complain about it... she's the one. :D

25. 50sboy

50sboy

Carter rotary - very quiet and doesn't require a pressure regulator...also works with 6 or 12 volts.

26. The pump in the picture from Autozone is the one I was refering to in Post # 3.

I run them on two of my other cars.

Quite and no problems

27. One trick I have learned is besides isolated mounting, run a pressure regulator with a bypass/return line, keep the return the same size as your feed, to test this theory I ran my pump with a ball valve hooked up and the output into a large gas can, the more fuel I let thru the quieter the pump became, all new cars run return lines. With the other suggestions should quiet it down a bunch .

28. yardgoat

yardgoat

quote-you've got moddest hp say 250 or so, a single dupree or autopulse bellows would do just fine. They were made in both 6 and 12 volt. and look like this. (end) Great looking pumps,two thumbs up for sure.Ithink i have the small Dupree pump somewhere? Love the triple autopulse.Thanks for the pic..........YG

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

After having a fuel pump go out, I did this setup so that I can switch pumps in five minutes. These are $45 Facet pumps from Checkers and are mounted on 5/8" plywood. No noise or vibrations

Attached Files:

30. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi there Glendale,
    I don't know if you are wanting a carb fuel pump...something around 3-6 psi? I have recently replaced an electric fuel pump in my old 1985 Nissan 720 series PU with carb...after 395,000 miles. I bought a new pump from a company called AIRTEX...model E8318... MADE IN USA.. The truck uses an external pump system.. Ran $60 at O'Reillys and AZ carries them too. Am so impressed with the quality and it is so quiet, that you wonder if it is running.. Am buying another soon for my sandrail, which has one of those noisy clicker ones.. Just a thought, if you are running a carb...Good Luck!
    Have a great day!....duane