Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mack Truck Car Hauler Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jim_ss409, Jan 24, 2010.

1. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

No, we've got a 40' enclosed 5th wheel trailer. It'll look fine for now but we might just build or modify a trailer with a vintage look later.

We got a set of seats and a console from the wrecking yard. They're out of a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We made some pedestals to raise everything up to the right height and they seem to fit about right in that cab.

Here they are beside the factory drivers seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can really notice the kitchen sink doghouse in this picture. We're also using the brake and gas peddle from the bus, the original brake and clutch pedals went down into the floor, sort of like you'd find on a farm tractor.

[​IMG]

The master cylinder is now on the firewall instead of being buried under the floor.

[​IMG]

2. That interior works very well in that cab. Is that shifter from a Jeep, or is that the IH shifter? Either way, it looks great there!

Might I make a suggestion concerning your seats? Since you have a fair amount of room under each seat, you might want to seal off the inboard side of each set of pedestals, and make a locking door for the outboard ends that hinges downward, leaving you with enclosed and secure storage in the cab. Just a thought, since I was checking those seat mounts out!

Oh, yeah, the dog is cool, too!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Great looking rig and very nice and clean fab work ..... Winston is a perfect Mascot.

4. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

I'll add my "totally awesome" to everyone else's comments and I too have a soft spot for Macks. I learned to drive semi (many years ago) on a '72 cabover "slimline" (no sleeper) tandem tractor. Had the inline six with a two stick, full power steering and "Dynatard" engine brakes. Like "xtralow" says, "Winston" IS the perfect mascot for that truck! Bet he's named after Mr. Churchill! Please keep the updates coming! Regards, Dave.

5. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

The shifter is from the IH bus. We still have to make a bezel to make it look good in the console.

We thought we might put some skirting around the base of the seats to cover the pedestals but we're not sure yet. If I was doing them again I'd do them differently. The storage compartment is a good idea!

6. Your seat don't look like they have any suspension. With just leaf springs, she might ride a bit rough!! If your not running long distances "hard tail" is not a big deal but on a long trip your back will not like it!!

You can get pretty low profile air seat suspensions that really smooth out the ride.

Bill

7. fat57

fat57

Looks great

8. 666Irish

666Irish

Well, you already got a blue ribbon, so I am going to award you a gold star for this project!

[​IMG]

Looks phenomenal! Keep up the great work! No homework for you today!

9. ratt7

ratt7

Excellent project !! Winston looks happy to !

10. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Yes, we've thought about that. We did remove about every second leaf from the suspension so we're hoping it'll ride OK. If not we'll consider putting air suspension under the seats next year.

11. ardyboy

ardyboy

very cool Jim. I can't wait to see that rig pulling into the track this year. Keep up the great work.

12. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That thing looks like it would hall a tank good job.

13. charger

charger
    from manitoba

looking really good! always liked those old macks! keep posting pictures!

14. When can I buy my Winston racing T- shirt??????

15. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

I'm so jealous I think I'm getting emotional! That is the best job I've seen in a long time! I've seen one at Blackies show several years ago and thats when I fell in love with them.

I see Mack B trucks still around and available but my dream fire truck build as a tow rig would be the American LaFrance series 700. Keep inspiring us with more pics.

Attached Files:

16. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Those old macks are too cool! Damn that's gonna be nice!

17. FNG_Rodder_newbie

FNG_Rodder_newbie

its startin to look badass...keep havin a good time with it...

18. Frank K

Frank K

Jim, I was thinking about the vintage look trailor also, ha,ha...Maybe someone can come up with a resin or something Winston lifelike lookalike for the radiator, Looks great, Frank Kunkel

19. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Jim: I can't get enough of this thread, stunning.....

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Jim!!!!!Give a doggie cookie to Winston for me!
    Awesome!!
    Can Neil and I hang with you cool kids?
    You guys rock!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  21. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

.. I just going to say this is awesome... Have you seen the hauler article in the current traditional rod and kustom??? might be some good ideas in there for ya...

22. That beauty brings back a LOT of memories for me. From '81 to '88 I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT in Socorro New Mexico, and we ran a '57 Mack B35 open cab pumper. Captain Ulibarri was our training officer, and you were not authorized to drive ANY of the apparatus unless you could shift the Mack without grinding a gear.

They still have photos of it at the main station, they bought it new. It too was white with gold striping.

That truck was my favorite of all the equipment, dependable without a doubt.
    I'd tackle any fire with that truck, with complete confidence.

If I had unlimited funds and space, I'd have Socorro's Mack alongside a 60's Seagrave sedan pumper in my collection, enough fantasy for now........

23. Jim , very nice build. Hope to see you somewhere around Ontario this summer. Can I come play with Jeff and Neil too???

24. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Yeah, They're great looking trucks. There was a guy here on the HAMB that had an old Seagrave for sale on E-bay a while back. Someone photoshoped a deck and 65 Plymouth on it and I thought it looked really cool. Someone should build something like this.

[​IMG]

A Diamond T would also make a really cool bed truck.

[​IMG]

Of course I've been watching Flynbrian48's Diamond T build...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436790&highlight=diamond

Here's another really cool Diamond T

[​IMG]

I haven't seen it but I'll look for it.

25. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

26. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Wow! This is awesome! Great build!

27. Glad you liked my photochop, I had fun with that one :)

28. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm deeply in lust with that truck, too damn cool!

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

30. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010