Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Barrett-Jackson Live TV starts 01/19/10.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack Thomas, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CGM, I watched the Black Nova go across the block and I'd say that a lot of it was bidding war between a couple of guys who really wanted the car. Hell for nice car with the docs to go with it but yea the price was a bit nuts. One of my favorites that has been on there though and similar to one I was looking at new just before I got drafted in 1967. I'd have to agree that a lot of the stiff bidding comes from guys my age who are bidding on the car that was their dream car in high school or when they were sitting on some LZ in the middle of Viet Nam. Now after busting their asses at work and getting the family grown and gone they have the money to spend on that dream car even if it is 25 or 30 times the original selling price.

2. At $135,000+ I thought I was watching a rerun from 2007 when stupid money was everywhere!!!!!
    I'll take the Crosley Fire truck for my 100 large. I remember riding in one of those at the Fielding School Fair in Maplewood, NJ about 1953.

3. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Yeah I saw that one. The owners had owned if for the past 40 years I think. A lot of cars/trucks were selling low. Even Bob and Steve said on the tv that it was one of the nicest F1's they had seen come across the block. Can't believe it only brought $53k.

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Seems like the recession has brought some reality back to some of these prices...it's nice that regular people can afford to buy some of the cheaper things. And the rich guys can still keep the shops employed with the high ticket items too.

5. Why is the so many threads here turn out to be a class war of sorts ? America, at least for now, is a land of opportunity and there will always be some who have more than others. Remember "the avearge Hagerty client owns ONE old car."

6. Gertting back to cars, my favorites last night were the Crosley Fire Truck, the two 57 Buicks, the Frazier Vagabond , the 29 mile 57 Savoy and the HAMB friendly 65 Airstream that went for $10K.

7. 61TBird

61TBird

8. Weasel

Weasel

Well the '42 Studebaker Weasel sold for $50k+commission - righteous!!!

9. Did you see the gold chainer toss the photo book onto the roof of the red GT350?
    He needs a beat down!!!!!!!!!!!

10. cooger

cooger

wonder if any of those buyers ever had their hands dirty from actually working on one---probably only from picking boogers.
    cooger

11. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Did anyone see the 55 Chev 'vert? It was yellow and white with a 2 tone GREEN interior!! UGH!!! What a fuckin abortion!! One of the commentators referred to it as a "salad"!!! LOL That was funny as hell! It ended up that 2 guys on stage had a cock fight over it and it went for $71K. Damn, I hate people with assloads of money and no sense of taste!!

12. henryj429

henryj429

Without a doubt, high end muscle cars are WAY down! Customs and rods seem to be becoming a little more prominent. In 06 when Shelby Mustangs were selling for $275K, nobody even looked at a hot rod.

I got a shiver up my spine when the 34 Ford Woodie sold for $128K. Nothing like a little encouragement that the woodie project that I've been thrashing on for 5 years might actually be worth something when finished.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes indeed they do and it's here like a rash of some kind. Those that don't have act like they don't want it...yeah right. Pricing is directly related to things like restoration/build costs, inflation, value/popularity. They're assets like it or not. I think it's in poor taste and disrespects the true enthusiast to make pitiful judgements on collectors that some may never know or meet in person. The "class war" then shows all reading those posts how low-class those remarks can be. It says volumes about that person. I personally would love to have a shit pot full of dough to buy cars. I love em. We all love em on this site. It's no secret that I can get pretty hateful about this subject. I've got 30+ years in this practice and those same type of people we see on that show have put food on my table for the majority of those years. I guess that makes me an enabler to those worthless tasteless hoarding sons-a-bitches.

But back on topic, I think reality is back for now and hope to have some things to sell if another feeding frenzy comes along. Beats the hell outta rust repair and paint fumes! I posted earlier to tell your auction attendance stories if you got em. Here's another. I was at a sale in Novi, MI years ago and Bob Probert (sp?) was there. The guy I was with was a hockey fan and did an intro. Short foot-note, the guy was pretty mean and in and out of trouble often back in the day. Probert asks me if I could show him around and talk cars with him. He had some interest and thought about buying a Cobra kit car. He got in and not being a little guy he met with a bit of effort to do it. "Hey, Jocko...how do I look?" "Proby...you look like a puppy fuckin a football." His head was almost totally over the windshield! The guy who intro'd us was scared shitless and pulled me aside thinking he was gonna kick our asses. He got out and said "...well I can't have that, let's look at something else." All in all we spent a lil over an hour looking around and his fellow Red Wing Steve Miller ended up buying a Vette from us a week later. I don't know if Proby ever got into cars cuz we lost touch over the next year. You can't buy experiences and memories like that. So tell me, was that a positive thing to hang with some 'money guys' or a negative thing? Forget the sale of the Vette, the day was the juice. The experience was priceless, and it happens all the time. Today's show should be pretty good. Erase the hype and there's lots to learn and enjoy if you can keep your head straight.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  14. owen thomas

owen thomas

Great – they’ve got another English guy that doesn’t know anything about our cars. Just like the guy a couple of years ago – all he talks about is the paint color or the chrome. At least the Speed guys on the stage showing us the car details know their stuff, probably have some notes, but that’s o.k. Fun to watch in spite of the Englishman.
    Some of the Camaro and Cuda stuff is down from previous years, some of the Vettes and T-Birds are a little down too, but good news – the trucks are up and really hot this year.<O:p</O:p
    I’ll probably watch the re-runs in a few months too.
    The Red Wing was Bob Probert – a real bad ass and a good guy.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man. It was a long time ago....corrected.

16. The deal of the day IMO was Tognottis T for only $78,000!! damn what a piece of history and a AMBR winnner, Tammy "the Cougar" Allen bought it..................

17. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yea, I saw that. She has been buying quite a few cars today. I thought that was a good buy too.

18. Who is she and how do I meet her.

19. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

So what price did the Bonneville Boss bring?

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

$42,000:(

21. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Planes now? If the auction was the HAMB, it would be getting the 3....2....1..... right about now :rolleyes:

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I thought that was a good deal too. I HATE reverisionary history, but that is a 1915 T body that has been called a '13 or '14 ever since Tognotti built it. There, I feel better now. :D

23. jdubbya

jdubbya

Back off man, I already called "dibs".:D

I thought the Chrysler wagon would have brought more money than it did, $170,000 is alot, but compared to what they were spending on other stuff...

24. henryj429

henryj429

No Kidding. 11,000 man hours @$100/hr = 1.1Mil! And that doesn't include parts and materials. The guy lost his shirt big time.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

They claimed there was 11,000 man horrs in that build, you pick a shop rate and see what thery lost. Then there are the parts and materials.........:eek:

26. On the 55 Chrysler wagon , i agree J.F. lost big time. The car should have brought more, but you know what? The marketplace has spoken and that is what todays market says it's worth. He's lucky Ron Pratt was there to get it to $170,000 U.S.
    On the other hand, the car and more importantly his shop got great exposure and i'am sure if people did'nt know about his skills & talent, they do now and this could translate into more work.
    [​IMG]

27. Glen

Glen

beautiful car....it will be cared for very well by Ron

28. Hey Glenn does Pratt still do the open house once a year??? or even drive any of his stuff??

29. Glen

Glen

no, he doesnt let the general public in. I have never heard of him driving anything around town.