Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drag racing..... slot cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hiboy32, Jan 15, 2010.

1. If you guys are into this ...join the slot fans social group here on da HAMB........

2. anyone know of any slot strips in oregon???

3. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Wichita Falls has a cool little slot car shop out on the south side of town.

Road Course and Drag Strip

See plenty of real car racers (both circle track and drag race guys) there, with their kids.

Can't believe how much glue they put on those tires!!!!

We used to have an old nylon parachute to slow the cars in the shutdown, now they just use the glue and stop in about 8 feet!!!

The photo is from the birthday party of one of our Hot Rod Trainees, Bug Wallace.

He about to get left on by the chick!!!

Attached Files:

4. choke

choke

We ran a nostalgia fuel altered class at Eddie's Slot Car World in Vallejo. Ca. The rules were basically no rules! Had to be a short w.b. @ 3 1/2" w/ no longer than 3" wheelie bars. The guide tonque was left looose. You were allowed one burnout past the statring line. But you had to juice the tires w/ lighter fluid or Naptha before you staged the car. You could have a super 16 run with a group 20 and the super 16 D could win if the driver could drive it right. No minium weight or motor restriction. Had to run full 1 5/16 scale tires full width. The car had to look like a model w/ full engine details and driver w/ fire suit. We were building group 20's w/.550 bores and High time armertures. The best we ran in the scale quater mile was .985 @ 65 mph. They were going sideways through the lights , very exciting and they looked like the real thing. Yeah we had alot of crashes!!!! I wish I new how to post pictures because I ended up collecting most of the cars that ran that summer.

5. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Wow ! These are some cool pix. guys .Yeah , I had to try this hobby out ! I built about 100 of these cars ,they are a blast ! I really got into the swing arm dragsters , They pivot in the middle and no wheelie bars needed , using my own design . Gr.20 motor with 10-58 gears ,will shoot them 8.9's all day long ,at our local 1/4 mile track ! Down to about 3 cars now . I just like building them . Here is one I did last week while it was cold out in the garage .

Attached Files:

6. choke

choke

Hey 17dragracing please explain the chassis design for no wheelie bars. That sound's like a killer chassis. I've been out of the loop for quite awhile!!!!

7. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Well you use a regular hard body dragster. And just in front of the cockpit ,the chassis pivots on a cross tube . I use 1/16" s.s. tig rod and brass tubing for the slip tubes and the pivot tube . I will try and find some pix. of my cars . They are deadly consistant , almost outlaw 'd at our local track. I was playing with gr.20 arms in 16d cans and some wild gears , that would come on hard at the finish . Thats really kool when everyone lifts at the end ,thinking you won't catch em' and wham you do !:cool:

8. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

those are awesome.:D

9. Lugs Harvey

Lugs Harvey

My son & I have been racing drag slots for about five years. We run at two tracks in the Portsmouth, OH area, OK Slotcars in Clarktown, OH & River Rat Dragway in New Boston, OH.
    I have heard of tracks in Columbus, Dayton, Newark and Peebles, OH. :)

10. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

I race at Fast Eddies in richmond In. 3 road courses and 1/4 mile strip . Here is a couple of my other cars .

11. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Oops here more pix.:eek:

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
  12. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very nice Jeff!

I bet its faster than the "real" one....

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I used too, no track anywhere near my home these days so I gave my car to my young cousin to use. O/T for here but its a fairly detailed 32.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc.

14. Heres some of my stuff.including the worlds fastest Monkeemobile (I think).......I also have about 100 clear vintage bodies I am going to get off of 95% new and never used.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  15. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Race here every Friday night.........probably have a dozen or so drag cars, half dozen road cars, all made from plastic model kits. Speed Addict identify yourself if you are at Scale Model Supply, I met you once at Jeff and Jennys annual party, really admired your real car its got some exotic 4banger in it doesn't it?

16. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

here are a couple more shots. The Corvette is my son's entry.

Attached Files:

17. I used to race here a few years back too with 55fordwgn, I have to get back there again soon.

18. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Yeah, but you cant haul much stuff in it.

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

Is there a scale model of your spare tranny in the trunk?

:)

20. Labold

Labold

These little slots are way cool. I had the little generic Tyco ones as a kid but have never been around ones like you guys are posting photos of/talking about.
    How much can I get a "starter" slot car for? I've got two young boys that need a few of these (or at least their dad wants some).

21. Anyone know of a track in the MD, Southern PA. area?

22. That is one nice slotcar!!!

23. I'm thinking about making a HO dragstrip in my garage, I think that would be cool.

24. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

and spare tire and hood and.....
    There should always be a good support car around for road trips.

25. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

You should check out the local slot track and show some interest. Most likely some of the regulars can set you up with a used set-up pretty cheap. Try it.

26. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Wow!

27. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Like looking in the garage, Nice Jeff. Gary

28. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

New 1/24 hardbody car will cost around $50.00 for the ready to run chassis, and what ever you want to pay for a model kit. Ya can useally find used stuff cheaper if ya shop around, like flea-markets or eBay. You can get a lot of use and have a lot of fun out of one car, but it does'nt take a lot to have hundreds of dollars wrapped in one either.:eek:

29. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

I ran in to some fellow H.A.M.B.ers at the track tonight! Good guys!

Ya, I like the unusual! Alfa Romeo 4-banger is working well in the Speed Addict.:D