Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to build a T bucket for under $3000 book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captainjunk#2, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Post 90: There are two people you can't argue with: One is a man who is right ---- and the other is a fuck--g idiot!
    Nuff said? Chester

2. Nortin

Nortin
    from Canada

Hot Rod Yearbook #13 had a complete set of T bucket plans too, which for pretty cool for that time. It had a tube front axle with corvair coil springs. I have that set of plans .

3. Happy HAMB New Year!

This holiday weekend is a great time to kick back and relax with 250+ pages of the most fun, informative T-Bucket and hot rod building eBook you can wrap your eyeballs around.

We've gotten great response from HAMBers and to celebrate 2010, we're taking 10% off if you place your eBook order before midnight, January 3, 2010.

So, Chester Greenhalgh's legendary "How to Build a T-Bucket Roadster for Under $3000" can be yours for a paltry $8.99 -- but only until midnight Sunday.

Hambers can get it now at www.TBucketPlans.com.

4. Wanted to pass along some positive, good news to start the New Year.
    Chester Greenhalgh wrote "How to Build a T-Bucket Roadster for Under $3000" in 1986.
    With the eBook rerelease I wondered what inflation has done over the past 20+ years.
    Here's something to be cheery about in 2010.
    According to the official U.S. Government "Inflation Calculator" based on the Consumer Price Index,
    That $3000 build in 1986 would be $5,921.44 in 2009!
    And that's pretty good news when you consider you can still buy a small block Chevy donor car for $500 and with the advent of the Internet, eBay, CraigsList, the HAMB classifieds and places like Harbor Freight that parts and tools are much easier to come by and often more economic today.

(And that's not even including the 10% off the eBook special that ends at midnight, Sunday, Jan. 3)

5. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Wow, Chief....I'm really not sure what I said to piss you off so badly.
    Have you had a bad experience with your project getting away with your finances, or is it just that you're a dick in every situation?

I'm not an idiot, I'm just prudent and abstemius. Take a look at my Lincoln; I've proven what I can do, and how inexpensively I can do it.

6. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Build a T-Bucket, then talk.
    ..................................Chester

7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

the thing i liked about this book is, it covers every freaking thing it takes to build a T. most just cover the basics.
    it's all those little things that will get ya when you build something.
    on another note, it cost me over 100 bucks in ink, to print this thing out.
    there are a lot of pages there.:eek:

8. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Roscoefink: Relax, you didn't piss me off, I just call things as I see them, without much finess. You didn't say what year your Lincoln was. If its one of those pre-49s with a 12 cyl flathead I'd love to have that engine in a roadster, the cars make excellent rods too with a sub frame and a big block. But if you finished yours for $1300 then you probably have one in the 50s or 60s. On the scale of desireable hot rod material, a 6,000 lb Lincoln ranks somewhere between a Rambler American and an Edsel. But you said it was running, that would make it an excellent donor car for one of those relics you saw in a field there. Combine those two, make a real rod and you will have my total respect. But I guess it's easier to just sit on the porch and crow about what you COULD do IF you just wanted to. But to show you I'm not against hot rod Lincolns, the next time I'm at the drags and I see a bright yellow Lincoln with black bumble-bee stripes on the ass end kickin butt in the 20 second bracket I'll come over and say Hi. ........................ Chester

9. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I still have my Motorbooks version published in 1990. I chased after that book for years after it ceased publication. Finally found a new copy at a car show. Have read it through several times, just for inspiration & motivation. Glad to hear it's available again.

10. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Sounds like the book for me. I'm cheap, and would rather make it myself than have to buy it. ;) I'm all about a budget build, scored a glass body for $150 a few years back, got a free Ford 8.8 rear from one of my buddies that just wants it out of the way. Found a guy at work that happened to have a straight axle that he REMOVED from under the front of a Javelin (Yes a Javelin) he said it was small Ford pattern so don't have a clue what it is out of but complete drum to drum for $25 I'm headed out to get it on Saturday. Got a dead stock SBC sitting in the shop floor that should do fine for tooling around in a lightweight T. I'd say I have a hell of a start. I just need this book and clean spot in the shop to get started. :cool:

11. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Flatheadgary post 97: I admire your tenacity. I hope you bought a big binder! If you print one page per sheet of paper it will be around 2" thick! We weren't kidding when we told you it was an encyclopedia of construction! Originally it took 5 minutes to download the damn thing! John was looking for a faster server.Thanks for the nice comments. Do you feel you got your 10 bux worth?
    Codeman post 100: The book was written for people like you. You're the backbone of Hotrodding! You don't talk, you just dive in the pool and see if you can swim! It's your fraternity of rodders that the snobrodders are trying to impress. But you'll have more pride in yours because you built it yourself, fabricating things instead of buying them. Regardless how your rod turns out, I'm proud to know someone like you.
    ................. Chester

12. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Thanks Chester, I've got my Dad to thank for that. We didn't have money for alot of extra's growing up, not that I do have now, but I was taught if you can't afford one build it yourself. :D

Oh and since I'm stuck at home with a sick kiddo, I need to run out and load the smoker I built myself with some ribs for dinner.

13. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

I still have no Idea why you are taking such personal offense to my comment about budget builds, but My Linclon is a '49 slantback, It has a 460 powerplant.
    There's a difference between a HotRod and a dragster, you seem to be getting the two confused.
    My rod'll do 95, and light up the tires no problem; its all the car I need in a Summertime Cruiser. I also have a home built '65 Malibu SS with a 327, for when I get that itch for speed, and I have two other projects in the works: A '39 Flathead-powered Plymouth 5 window, and a Dodge Pickup chassis I just started, to accomadate a '57 sweptside.
    I don't have time to build a T bucket because some kat new to hotrodding is telling me I need to earn HIS respect. Go read your Ol' Skool Rodz, and lecture people who DON'T know their stuff. I've been doing this for over half my life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  14. GuyW

GuyW

Who ARE you talking to??

15. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Jeez dude unbunch your panties, this thread ain't about you. Start a $1500 build thread with your challenge in it........................

16. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Well, I'm not looking for a challange, that's my point. I was just saying it sounded like it could be fun.
    But you're right, This isn't the place for this discussion. My apologies to everyone.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  17. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Roscoefink: The 39 plymouth sounds interesting, I always loved that car, but this is not an apology, your crack about building a t-bucket for under $1500 not only showed a lack of experience in a ground-up build but it was an INSULT to anyone who has ever built a T or A rod. If anyone can do this for $1500, my moneys on Codeman! I'd love to see a thread with you and him going at it to see who could build the best looking bucket for the least amount of money, keeping us informed of your progress. I have three projects going right now, documenting the builds in book form so I don't have time for another T. I started with a channeled Model A roadster when I was 13, that was 53 years ago, I don't have anything to prove. As for your Lincoln, name it Yikk!
    Codeman! How bout it, you want to lay down a challenge? .....Chester

18. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Whoa now, I don't want to challenge anybody. LOL My projects tend to get drawn out a little too long. I'm in a parts collection phase right now. I've got to many other irons in the fire in the near future. I WILL be doing it as cheap as I can when I get started though.

19. i'm in the process of putting together a traditionally inspired T bucket as we speak. so far i've got the majority components of the rolling chassis together for $0 net out of pocket. i'm going to try and do this thing for the inflation adjusted price of around $5k.

i'm keeping a spreadsheet of all of the expenditures and receipts so i can show it at the end of the project.

20. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Got a build thread going?

21. not yet.
    i dont want to start the thread until i'm ready to go at it full speed. otherwise the thread will have big time gaps in it. i have to get my 52 chevy done for mrs. alteredpilot first.

22. Did that use coils all around? I'm interested in using coils for my next T bucket.

23. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

I will be buying the e-book!!

24. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

I'm reading mine now.

25. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  26. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Codeman: If you're really on a tight budget, try to find an old model A frame instead of building one. You have to cut the corners of the T cowl to channel the body over the frame, but that was accepted behavior in the 50s and isn't hardly noticeable when its done. With a lightweight T and a stock motor you won't even need to box the frame. You can adjust the front height with long shackles, but need to use a model A rear spring with this frame. This will speed up and cut the cost of the build, and really be an authentic repro os a 50s bucket.
    ................. Chester

27. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

It was this book that i showed to a friend that was just getting into drag racing.
    He had a 73 Nova and was about to spend a fortune on it.
    I showed him the book and said wouldnt you rather have something like this than that Nova?
    He aleady had an engine and I gave him the cost vs cost.... weight vs weight etc.
    Well the decision was made, he wanted a T lol
    We made a few changes from the book but as I said it was the book that steered the way.
    He has had the car for about 6 years now and i dont think he will ever let it go.... too much fun.

Come to think about it... he still has my book!:)

Attached Files:

28. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Thanks for the tip. I will most likely build my own though. I have a pretty good hook up on my steel and besides the steel work is what I enjoy. I've got decent equipment and skills just got no cash. :D I may make a few changes anyway.

29. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Printed mine out on single pages (like Chester said not to), punched all 254 pages, and put them in a 3-ring binder. Works slick.

A T-bucket technical manual. I'm stoked.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tubing to build a T frame usually runs right at or below 100.00 at today's prices. Somewhat less than a tired Model A frame around here.

In the early 70's when I built my T it cost 23.00 for the tubing (in 1972 dollars. If a guy doesn't have a bandsaw or chop saw he can use a hacksaw and miter box or just a hacksaw and careful cutting. It took me less than two hours to cut my frame with the correct angles in about 1972.

Note: from experience, when (and if) you have steel tubing "cut to haul" at the steel yard have them do the cut at the length for one side rail so that you don't waste tubing or have to splice tubing to finish the frame.

I will say that just as with any "how to" article you have to understand that there may be a better way to do certain things such as shortening drive shafts or building radius rods.

I could easily build a T bucket frame today for under 200.00 that would be a lot nicer then the one I built in 1972 just because of what I have learned in the past 38 years. On a comparison of dollars, the 200.00 2010 bucks is probably a lot less then the 60.00 1972 bucks I had tied up in that frame. That's frame not chassis. That would be no frills, not a lot of high end store bought pieces but a very presentable frame with a front spring perch for a suicide front end and mounts for the front and rear suspension and engine and trans.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010