Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tognotti's King T at Barrett Jackson Jan. 23rd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy1965, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Don Tognotti's 1964 AMBR winner, the King T, will be auctioned off at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale on Saturday, January 23. It is lot #1260.4. The car was originally built by Don and Gene Winfield. The car was recently restored in Seattle and repainted by Winfield. Gene will be in attendance at the event.

Another Winfield custom, a 1949 Mercury, is also up for auction Saturday, just prior to the King T. It is lot number 1249.1.

2. deucegasser

deucegasser

Thanks for the heads up carguy. I always thought the king t was a bitchin set of wheels. They probably won't televise that car. Not a numbers matching vette or mustang.

3. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I remember the 'King-T' from the car magazines in the mid-60's, I got to see saw it first-hand too, at one of the old "Speed-Sport" car shows in Toronto back in the 60's.That was one of my all-time favorite cars. I remember the wheels on the car were particularly unique and fit the 'early T' theme of the car perfectly. They were, or were similar to, Cragar SS' wheels, but with a polished wood veneer covering on the spokes to give a modernized 'hot-rod' interpretation of a wooden-spoked T wheel! It'll be interesting to see what it'll go for at Barret-Jackson. because I recall Tognotti in the late '60's or early 70's, when he was finished showing it on car show circuit, listed it for sale in a classified ad in either Hot Rod or Rod & Custom for something like $3000 which I thought was insanely cheap for that car, even back then. Does anybody have a time machine, because I want to go back and buy it for that price!!!! :D

Mart3406
    ================================

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. the-rodster

the-rodster

5. Muttley

Muttley

When are these guys going to learn.........Hot Rods dont bring the big dollars at Barrett-Jackson. I'll bet somone gets it relatively cheap.

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------------------------------
    Great pic. A true classic 60's hot rod. Thanks for posting it. That car is still beautiful! The straight purple paint doesn't look bad, but in my opinion, not a nice as 'back in day, when the car was pearl white with lavender fogging. Does anybody have any old pics of the car for comparison?

Mart3406
    ==============================

7. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

I believe the paint scheme is the same as the original. Two different colors of purple. One on the body and a different one on the fenders.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Yeah, those wheels are interesting.
    The center is 2 6-spoke spiders with dished spokes back to back and offset so that the inner sokes are visible between the outer spokes.
    The outer spokes each have a polished wood block simulating the early T spoked wheels.

9. Tagnotti's T sold for $85,800. I remember this car best for it being the inspiration for the Hot Wheels "Hot Heap"
    [​IMG]

The Winfield Merc sold for $73,000
    [​IMG]