Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torsion bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Jan 8, 2010.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I am interested in running torsion bars on my full fender 1929 model A . Maybe just in the rear .Any picture and info would be a big help

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you do a search here? one thread to try is: T-Bucket and Torsion Bar Front End

3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

4. When you decide on your design, I probably have everything you need. Bars, tube housings, bushings, arms, and stops.

5. the higher the torsion bars are mounted less body roll you'll have so with high mounted with in reason you car go with lighter bars for a better ride and then you have your spring base if the torsion bars are positioned so that the distance between them front to back is greater than the wheel base the car will react slower as if it has a longer wheel base and ride smoother if it shorter the car will react faster, faster weight transfer.

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There is an article in recent Feb, 2010 Street Rodder about torsion bars.

Ago

7. sdluck

sdluck

Did a search didn't see what i was looking for,most of these are frt I am looking for rear setup maybe crossbar like sprint car.

8. My track roadster is Model A based, but is on 32 rails. The car has torsion bars at all four corners. There is a pretty good description of the general layout you can check out at this link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356019&highlight=tr&showall=1

The sprint car torsion bar shops and companies were very willing to help with sizes and spring rates, but they need to know some basic info about the layout you will be using and the weight of your car.

Good luck.

trakrodstr

9. sdluck

sdluck

I have a Franklin quick change,a aluminum Rodeck,And a set of Hilborns that I want to put on it.

10. trakrodstr's link shows the torsion mounted behind the diff and high increases spring base lessens body roll but they are staggered back and front therefore the rear torsion bar has to be bigger to compensate for the longer arm and have the same spring rate, when they are mount over and under then the arms and bars are the same size but the mounting points are at a different height on the housing.

11. sdluck,

Jeff's advise sounds spot on and I see he has oval track racing experience. I would follow his advice and pick his brains.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When it comes to oval track experience it's hard to beat Johnny Fast. He posted above and probably can give as good advice as anyone.

Frank

13. sdluck

sdluck

Anybody else?