Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hiding wires in a car Neatly..Lets see yours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Tried to post my engine pic here (not too swift at this) but couldn't.
    If you check out my photo album, pic 4 is the engine compt wiring of my '56 F-100 after I rewired for the 429.
    When you do yours, please take your time. I've seen many otherwise nice cars with crappy wiring, and it stands out big time. Split loom is easy to work with, and if you use tywraps (zipties etc) it will help control the wiring. Do nice clean radii (radius plural?) on all your connections.
    When I had to sell my truck, one of the selling points was the neat wiring, according to the guy who bought it. And don't forget fuses. Fuses are your friend. It is impossible to get that smoke back in the wire once you let it out. Takes a special machine. But I digress...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. radio_king

radio_king

Good point,you can`t hide it all so better make it art like the rest of the car:).Inspiring thread as I`m just starting to rewire mine!

3. von Dyck

von Dyck

Tips for the Weller type soldering guns can be easily made from short pieces of solid (not stranded) commercial wires. Obviously you've got to peel off the plastic insulation. Bend it to the shape you want and flatten the tip if that is what you want. Works great.

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice! You nailed it.

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

7. Toner283

Toner283

Yes they stick on, they are an industrial wiring widget for inside electrical cabinets. they have holes for the zip ties to go through either left to right or top to bottom. they have two sided adhesive on them already and they also have a provision to screw them down if needed. we use them at my work and a few fell into my lunchbox. we get them from a company called Spaenaur. it is an industrial fastener & hardware place. Same place I got the wire covering from. they have held up pretty well so far, at work the only thing they don't like is oil - it breaks down the glue.

http://www.spaenaur.com/default.asp

http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=G25 - middle of the page

http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=G36

Spaenaur is one of my favorite stores, every time I look through their catalog I find another "I can use that for" item. catalog is like 1500 pages & full of cool stuff.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone wire lace there wiring harnesses, like they do in aircrafts?

9. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I've done it on a lot of planes, but prefer the old style tube wire loom for cars.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i would like to learn how to do that

11. FYI Painless sells some wovien plastic loam cover that is split and you cover the wire after you run it. Look at their cat. for pics and prices. No I don't work for them. Bought my last harness from Glen 33......

12. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I learned it in A&P school. There is a book called the AC43-13 that covers all aircraft repair. I'm trying to find it online to reference for you.

13. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

14. Rivet

Rivet

I usually do exposed wires neatly zip tied with very small zip ties spaced equal. It makes for a clean engine bay and makes it easier down the road to diagnose any electrical problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 35hotrod

35hotrod
    from Duvall, WA

I used a woven heat shield tubing I got from Boeing surplus. Came in different diameters and colors. A little bit of a pain to fish the wires through, works especially well under hood. Where the wiring enters and exits the tube I secured it with a small piece of heat shrink. Looks neat and clean and is easy to route anywhere.

16. hepcat_13

hepcat_13

I found the white sticky things on ebay for cheap. Thank you. That made my life easier.

17. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

You can get black sticky things too. Depending on your car, may look a little better.

18. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I know you didn't find them under white sticky things. Come on what do we type in the search box ( what are they called)? Thanks.

19. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Go to Home Depot. They sell the pads in the section w/ the zip ties & connectors.

20. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Should be that easy. Thanks.

21. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I like to use the asphalt covered wire loom. It gives the car a nice original look.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

many good tips here--wiring is not that difficult but takes time to do neatly-as stated, always run an extra wire in each run for future, use the twist ties to group your wire/circuits as you go then ties wraps when complete. I use the black tubing that is mentioned by many-comes in many sizes and was used by the factories way back, then seal the ends with shrink on tubing. Make it neat and tidy but don't try to hide it too much--makes it very difficult to truoble shoot later-a neat wiring job is a key point as to the quality of the build-doesn't cost more to do it neatly-just time. Have wired alot of cars of my own and for friends as well. My only issue is to not have anyone helpiing/talking to me in the process as I then get distracted-others here have mentioned all of this stuff as well

23. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Any more pics? I like to route the wires and wrap them in hockey stick tape. Makes them virtually disappear. And, it's cheap. I bought 5 rolls a few years back, did 2 or three cars and still have 3 rolls left.

25. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Sticky things are callled zip tie anchors
    Fitysix

26. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

27. Toner283

Toner283

I put the link to the Spaenaur catalog in my earlier post. Here it is again.

http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=G25

If for some reason it does not work let me know & I will try to fix it.

28. first try and keep the wires bunched together without them all crossing over and don't be afraid to use lots of cable ties. I do this where they are out of site and try to use cloth covered wires where they are seen for an old time look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fordor Ron and cretin like this.
  29. Beau

Beau

When I have long lengths of wires, I like to tie them all together on one end and put that end in a vise. Then I put the other ends of the wires in my drill and stand across the room.

Use the drill to twist all the wires together. You can use less ties, and it looks pretty cool. I have also seen it braided.

30. Excellent advice. I used to race in the '60's and '70's and we wanted wires accessible because of Murphy's law. If the wire is accessible, it's easier to trace problems.