Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Altered Wheelbase Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2009.

1. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Steve, I know the EXACT video you're talking about and I've watched it countless times! The Ramchargers win but Hubert Platt's Falcon has trouble even keeping the front wheels on the ground. It's almost looks like the Falcon is teetering on a fulcrum with most of the weight on the rear tires obviously and the car just wants to tip rearward. You could probably walk up to that car in the pits, push down on the trunk lid or rear bumper and the front wheels would possibly lift off the pavement! I instantly recognized this car when it was found just a couple of years ago intact with original race paint and all and I'm thrilled that it survived. Now.....as much as a fan as I am of that that shortly-lived Match Bash Era.......my favorite's are the cars and drivers from the down-'n-dirty South. They were hard-core Match Racers only and didn't give two shits about the NHRA Rulebook. That was a crazy region in an already crazy era!

2. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

^^Do you guys know if that video is still available?^^

3. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

OK, just stumbled onto this thread....

As an old drag racer...Altered Wheel Base 1965 Plymouth....I will post a bunch of my pictures soon.

I was 25 years old in 1966 and right in the middle of the AWB match race era....

I am not one of the younger guys who "remember someone else doing it"....I was there and doing it myself...

Luv this thread...brings back all my old drag racing memories.

Attached Files:

4. I am sure it is. It was actually 1 of several offered by a company called 'Gold dust classics" and was narrated pretty well with few mistakes.

Steve
    Hosting- 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Speedworld April 10-11, 2010

5. StormWarning65

StormWarning65

Welcome to this thread! Nothing like us old farts keeping the record straight! I was 19 in 1966, not too far behind you. Looking forward to your photos and hearing some stories! Wheels up!

Funny Cars Forever!

6. whisky runner

whisky runner

yea i been watching this thread for awhile..i was only 15 in 66..but went to atco almost every weekend..my uncle ran a 57chevy in b/mp..and some weeks we drove it home :)...other weeks it was a towbar or trying to borrow a trailer :(....but that didnt stop me from really loving the awb cars.............ahhhhhh who am i kidding i loved em all :)

7. skywolf

skywolf

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

anything else?

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Hmmn. Can't get more subtle than this:

http://public.fotki.com/teddisnoke/65-afx-nova/6.html

Dave Henry's '65 A/FX Nova is almost ready to carve two ruts down the middle of the road. Dave is a mere jog down the path to getting the car tready for it first outing. You can bet I'll be there for this unveiling!!!! We're down to the final tweaking!!
    Dale

For more on the build-up, visit here:
    http://www.alteredwheelbasenova.com/

For pictures of the cutting and grinding:

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/s...d-wheelbase-6/

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

11. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Just wanted to post some more pixs of my AWB Mopar from 1966-67

Attached Files:

RigorMorris and C. John Stutzer like this.
  12. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Great stuff Mike! Seen the pics a few times, but they will just never get old! Thanx for posting.

13. Tricky Hickey

Tricky Hickey

May be done by Spring 2010 ? :confused:

Attached Files:

14. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

The fastback novas were built by Bill Thomas in 64 for G.M. to go road racing but G.M. got out of road racing and gave the 4 cars to bill thomas as payment and he made them drag cars.The fastbacks were all convertibles wiyh fiberglass roofs Search hamb for [Bill Thomas CKC/NOVA A/FK] for more info.

15. Falconred

Falconred

I have always wondered why there is a Buick in the background, this was at the Ford proving grounds I think.

16. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

Heres some pics. Of my chevy II. The rear is moved up 10 inches and the front axel is moved up 3 inches and the 454 ci is moved back 9 inches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  17. fordflashback

fordflashback

This was at 131 Dragway, Brannan went there because the Ford test track was booked up. He was testing Nitro that day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

19. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

64 Nova. 4 speed m22. 500 inch bbc. 9 inch

Attached Files:

benchseat4speed likes this.
  20. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

65 Chevelle. Early ford axle, 502 crate engine. Ford 9 inch T10 ladder bars with stock coil springs

Attached Files:

benchseat4speed likes this.
  21. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Changed direction on the 65 Pontiac. I couldn't bring myself to put a big block chevy motor in it.

Attached Files:

benchseat4speed and brut4s like this.
  22. Now that's cool.......

outta piss-off the purist Poncho guys

23. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Man........I am just nuts 'bout that red-on-red AWB Chevy II! Injected Rat motor, 4-speed, stock steering wheel. Heck of a great build!

24. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Mrrich, i love the nova! is it mechanically injected or efi? kinda hard to tell. it almost looks like black electronic injectors

25. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Hey Illflameit1 , missed your post re aluminum wingnuts, bezels, hood pins. Here are a couple of pics of the Landy car . A guy in MN named Jerry occasionally offers repros of all of the pieces on evilbay. I got the wingnuts from him, they're nice. i made the bezels and pins out of aluminum. This stuff was used on the 64 liteweight mopars and carried over to the afx program. Goes to show how serious they got.

Attached Files:

• 131.jpg
      131.jpg
      File size:
      448.5 KB
      Views:
    • 057.jpg
      057.jpg
      File size:
      340.9 KB
      Views:
  26. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Bosch type electronic injectors with fittings from B.D.S. #3an for stock fuel lines

27. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Rich,the Chevy II is damn near a dead ringer for the direction my brother is headed with his.Outstanding work man.Can see the Doug's Header influence.And a little of this one.

Attached Files:

28. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Al Storm 's old yankee peddler Dodge.. in the late 60's, at Pocono Drag Lodge

Attached Files:

29. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

marfen, thanks for the info. i will try to hunt him down now that i have the pic. thanks again for the info.

george

30. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks for the info. I had always thought it was at the test track because they were "testing", that is what I get for assuming!!!