Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Official B Altered Truck Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA HAMB, Dec 15, 2009.

1. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

OK, I think im ready to start this thread. Well, As ready as I am going to get any way. I have tons of photos so far( about 250) Me and photobucket don't get along very well so it takes me a while to get these in.
    Right now im still in the tear down stage. I have it down to the bare frame and am stripping rust and paint still. The ol truck is in pretty good shape for sitting in a little shed for 40 years with the walls literally falling down aroung it. It hard to believe that all of this stuff stayed together this long.
    Hopefully I will have the skills to get it back correct. Time will tell.
    For complete history of the truck go here---http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170994

I will try to post more pics later.

Please feel free to give me advice, tips and help if it leads you! Lord knows Im going to need it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71, Stogy, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I am so stoked to see you doing this now!

Before you refinish any body work, remember to take a lot of reference pictures with a ruler alongside the details so you can see how large things are and where they are located. You will save a lot of time later.

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

If I could convince my wife to let me head down to your place I'd be there tomorrow!!! I'm laid off anyways, so she should let me go....right!!??? I'd love to give ya a hand working on that truck...it is one of my favorite rides. I wish my sister was still stationed in Va. I could go visit her for christmas........ Anyways, I'll be looking forward to following this restoration/rebuild. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

4. blackout

blackout

Really looking foward to this

5. solid

solid

Can barely wait for this thread...

6. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

This is where I am right now. I neglected to post this pic last night. Probably wont get much done till after Christmas.
    [​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Another update photo.

Attached Files:

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You are such a tease! Was there a lot of droop in that frame or was it just the angle you took the upside-down pic from?

9. Killer man! make sure you get all the lettering referenced right and stored away...you got anyone to do the restoration lettering yet??

T.Hilton

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Kool restoration.... Injected nailhead, what could be better.... Keep the pic's coming...

11. scrape

scrape

will it be at the hamb drags?????

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Glad to see your making progress. Can't wait to see this one done.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

13. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Didn't notice that. The frame is good, just in the photo.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Tyler,
    This is how I plan on doing it. I traced it then retraced it using saral paper underneath. Then paint.

Attached Files:

15. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Been living in the garage for 4 days now. I have the engine back in to mock up for the the throttle linkage. The old brace for the linkage was pretty bad.
    I also made a new bracket for the radiator shell and put the body back on so I could weld in the braces for the seat. The seat is the only original piece I don't have. Mr. Morris told me that he used a Jeep wwII seat. The braces didn't match so I took an original WWII Jeep seat and sectioned it to match the original mounting brackets. I wanted to make sure I could get the seat back as far as possible to help fit my 6-4 frame.
    Here are some updated photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That is a single purpose vehicle! No one calling shotgun, huh?

Nice. I really appreciate being able to see the inner workings.

Thanks! Now get back to the garage.

Dynaflash_8 and volvobrynk like this.
  17. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

looking real good....

18. Such a cool project!

19. very cool! nice to see a piece of racing history being restored!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. mow too much

mow too much

Very neat, keep the pictures coming. sure looks like it's going to be a fun build.

21. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Lookin good. This is one of my favorite builds on the HAMB right now. Keep it coming!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

such a coool truck i will follow the build as much as its posted

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is pretty rad and I love that truck even though I only seen one pics of it I think. How about some pics of what it used to look like in the hey day!

24. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Jeff,
    Go back to my first post here. I have a link to the thread from when I bought it. Plenty of pics there.
    This truck was bought from Mr. Morris in 1968. The truck sat in a small barn/shed type building for the next 39 years. The man sold it for what I was told 500.00 YES $500 bucks. I bought it from that guy. He was going to part it out on Evil-Bay!
    Mr. Morris came by last summer to see the truck for the first time in 40 yrs. He brought me this picture to add to the collection.
    I am taking the day off today. Ill get more done this week. Thanks to all for the encouragement!:cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  25. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Anything new on this? Thanks John

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

C'mon, Todd, inquiring minds want to know!:D

27. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I have been back at it. Starting to paint the front suspension parts. I need to order some new bushings and pins etc.. to get it back together. The frame is ready to paint and that will be done soon.
    My oldest is in baseball playoffs right now and might start travel ball so Im not sure how much ill get done for a while. I plan on posting some more pics after I get some good progress going. Stay Tuned .........

Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Keep those pictures coming, your truck is so very cool and simple....what times did it run back in the day????????

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I read an article that a local guy had from the World National at Richmond (1964)and it said he ran about 11.2 at I think about 119 MPH. I have it written down somewhere.
    Mr. Morris said the fastest he ran was about 10.5 at 140MPH on Nitro but I have not seen any proof of it yet :)))

30. AHotRod

AHotRod

Are you serious? A Nailhead on Nitro? wow....have you opened up the engine yet to see what's there and what's benn done to it?

volvobrynk likes this.