Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 Caddy Carb Question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6Deuce, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 6Deuce

6Deuce

Hmmm... interesting. Is there an easy way to test this too see if that's the problem? Without buying a new distributor.

Also, the ignition condenser is the unit that sits on the coil correct?

Thanks

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, that condenser suppresses radio noise. The one you want is under the distributor cap.

3. socalkenny

socalkenny

I didn't see anywhere that the screen in the tank had been suggested, that would be where I'd start. "T" in a vacuum gauge on the supply line to the fuel pump ,if it pulls over a couple inches it's restricted (rust or debris). Do this next part outside because of fire hazard! If it is restricted pull the gas cap off, use compressed air to blow from the supply line at the pump and blow the sock off the line inside the tank. after you've done that install a filter on the suction side of the pump to catch that dirt before it gets to the pump. Happy new Year!

4. 6Deuce

6Deuce

I would like to thank everybody that replied to this post, problem seems to be solved. jagfxr1949 hit it on the head with the ignition condenser. I am a FREAKING IDIOT and replaced the wrong damn condenser. I put the new one on the coil instead of in the distributor. I guess you live and learn right? Oh well, seems to be running just fine now. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

5. Hah hah!!! Thats funny!
    Dosent it feel great when you finally get a simple problem fixed???
    Now it's time to enjoy the road again!!!!

And you better!!!
    My Caddy is scheduled to be snowed in for the next few months!!!

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Great ,Im glad it wasn't anything I pm'd you about ...................................................

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

LOL check post #4. I guess it is us old Jag guys that have a lot of experience with poor running cars. :) :) :)

8. flamed34

flamed34

A few things come to mind:
    1. The previously mentioned condenser
    2. Coil
    3. Bad wires (lift the hood at night and see if you see arcing)
    4. Less likely, but maybe possible - mechanical or vacuum advance (I'm not certain what a '62 had). If vacuum actuator, is it leaking?

Remember - Fuel, Air, Spark. Your solution lies somewhere in these three.

BTW, the spelling is "phenolic"

9. Hey man, better learn how to work on points and condensors, or get a Pertronix, which it sounds like would be best in your case. Then you should be able to forget about it.

10. 6Deuce

6Deuce

Hey everyone. Well everything was running great for about a week. Now the SAME thing is back at it. If I'm on the gas when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it boggs down and starts hesitating like it was. Only under load, if i'm really really easy on the gas and go slow I can get up to speed just fine with no bucking. It only happens when the rpms drop and i'm on the gas pretty good.

1. Could I have messed up my new condenser when I accidentally put it in the wrong spot (on the coil) and drove it around 1 time? Everything was working fine like I said for a few drives (10-15 miles or so)

2. Could this be caused by a bad generator? I noticed the last time I drove that the interior lights were slightly surging at idle.

3. How can you tell if a cap & rotor are bad? They look brand new when no real sign of wear under the cap on the contacts.

Thanks guys.