Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 32 3-W Survivor "Tuffy" part 2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kisam, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Sould be sensational.

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

How was the thrash this weekend?????

3. kisam

kisam

Well, while you "boys" were off playing at Autorama I had to make a decision. Autorama or Tuffy. Yes Tuffy won. I started working on the front end/brakes.
    [​IMG]

Pretty much done with that part.
    [​IMG]

Guess I forgot to get a pic but you can see it here.
    [​IMG]

This week, Lee and Louie came over to help. We all froze - one heater was not enough.
    [​IMG]

I dont know anyone with a frame jig in town so we brace it up
    [​IMG]

Out with the K member
    [​IMG]

In with the new
    [​IMG]

Louie's laying down some nice welds!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed a new rear crossmember, so we went outside pulled one from a Model T frame.
    [​IMG]

Realized we had the wrong diameter ladder bar set up so we decided we would go ahead and use the rear end from Tanya's build for mock up. Started grinding
    [​IMG]

and grinding - I was supervising!
    [​IMG]

Break time
    [​IMG]

Patiently waiting!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up running out of Argon/CO2, and it was a good stopping point anyway. We need to find out how much to pinch the frame. So we played for a while.
    [​IMG]

Called Skotz to talk about the quickchange rear end and get a direction. Pulled it apart to see if it was spooled or not. Missing:mad: diff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now! Lee and Louie -thank you so much for everything!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks like fun! Great work!

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have a DPI Gold Track........

6. 31modelo

31modelo

So glad to see this car being put back together. Your avatar and my wallpaper look alike.

7. Bill, please elaborate, as I've never heard of a DPI Gold Track, and; is it complete? You always seem to come through!

I guess it was Skotz that sent Kathy a pic of a mod he did to one in which the full floating hubs are done away with allowing the use of normal wheels. This seems like an attractive way to go since the early build of this car had reversed wheels with baby moons.

8. [​IMG]

Do these coverall make me look fat?

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Its a diff for the guick change

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

Looking good !!!!

11. Bill called and explained that the Gold Track is not only a differential, but is a posi! He also informed me that the spur gears(or change gears) are fairly easy to find, and that he has a complete F2 rearend with the gears in it!

Things are looking up!!!!

12. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Looks like you have those boys under control Kathy. Keep us posted you know we can not get enough.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Awesome... So good to see the progress! I love seeing friends working together like you guys. Priceless.

Malcolm

14. Marcia

Marcia

It looks great!! Have Fun!!

Qould you post some pictures at the top of the Ladies of the HAMB page?
    I'm getting tired of lookin at mine up there.

15. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Fun fun! I wanna come play too!

Keep the updates coming, I can't wait to see it on the road again!

16. Rusty

Rusty

17. colorado kid

colorado kid
    BANNED
    from Colorado

cool cool stuff

18. kisam

kisam

No, but that sweatshirt made me look fat!

We needed some fajita's. Where were you? Bring Santa "BigKen" too!

Your right Malcolm! There was one point when Lee leaned over and said "It can't get any better than this". There was no place I would rather have been at that moment.

Pack a bag Megan! It's killing me too! It's all I think about. Thanks to Skotz and Casey for the phone help also. And then Bill calls me tonight and we think he has a posi diff for the rear end - go figure:).

19. Louie S.

Louie S.

I had a great time working on it and can't wait to do it again. I will be gone till sunday, but i am available after that if you aren't working.

20. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

21. tinmann

tinmann

I've got the same Frankland QC-80 quickchange. I had Frankland on the phone once upon a time and the guy there told me that model was their Frankland "Original" and only came with a spool. He told me it would require machine work to even make using a limited slip possible. Mine came with a steel spool even though the Frankland catalogue only lists aluminum spools.

22. That Q.C. is definitely going to be a learning experience!

23. I missed this one! Louie and Unclee were over today, and Louie said of all the welds he made, you put up a photo of the worst one he did. Still looks better than mine!
    Dave has a frame table next time you need one. As far as machining on the QC stuff, my lathe is up and running, and the mill is just requiring someone with sparky knowledge to hook up the phase converter.

24. abone1930

abone1930

Lookin good, Should be refresh job on the Hemi. What kind of cam setup was in the engine?

25. kisam

kisam

There wasn't a cam in it and I am still trying to decide on a replacement but it will be an RV cam of some sort. I don't want anything that is super radical.

26. Louie S.

Louie S.

If you are going to run the blower, then you need to run a cam suitable for the blower so it will idle correctly. If not i will get alot of surge at idle. How much horsepower do you want to make?

27. Louie S.

Louie S.

Kathy i also need to know the flow on the heads if anyone can answer that. I will ask my buddy for a good streetable profile. He builds alot of blower motors. I can ask Jeffs builder Jackie as well.

28. Well, Louie could'nt make it the other night, something about it being his birthday and some surprise party that just would not do to miss! Hha! A likely story!!!!
    The show must go on so Kathy and I did our best to get the rear end in place so the ladder bars can be welded. We got it close, but after several tries measuring and remeasuring we were so weary that we were not willing to cut the crossmember that came with the ladder bars. Sorry, no pics, but it has to be cut on a wierd angle to mate up to the reproduction K-member. We can do it, but we figured it'd be better to start fresh on her next day off. Who knows, maybe we can have our star welder in attendance that day?

29. RussTee

RussTee

great to see a girl doing this and seeing everyones involvement makes us all feel involved in the learning curve of this restoration NEAT

30. Louie S.

Louie S.

I'm in when do yall want to work on it again?