Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I outdated? When is an 'offer' actually an 'offer'?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 440Dave, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geemann51

geemann51

You got it as long as I can get a ride in the coupe!

2. I don't see how his story has changed you just read into the original post that an appointment had been set up but nowhere does it indicate that. He clearly stated that they guy said he would be by this weekend and left no other information. To me that is not an appointment.

Does the original buyer expect this guy to wait around all weekend by his computer or phone hoping he will get back in touch with him to tell him when he will be by to look at the car? The guy should have made a firm appointment if he truely wanted the vehicle if not the seller is not obligated to wait around for him to decide when he wanted to arrive. Say the buy didn't show up on Saturday or contact the seller and he had another offer on Saturday does he still have to wait until Sunday night for the guy whostill may or may not show? I agree with you that if he had made an appointment to see the car then he could bitch but as it stands he has no one to blame but himself.

I will add that I think alot of issues can arise from different generations and their approach to emaill. I find that older folks don't take it as much of a legitiamte form of communication (the origianl poster mentioned a couple of time how the guy didn't call him) as younger generations do. Perhaps the guy was expecting the OP to reply to his statement (when do you want to come by?) that he would be over on the weekend much like he probably would have over the phone.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. mramc1

mramc1

A lot of internet ads, like Craigslist especially, are full of poser responders that like to offer without looking or make appointments and be know shows. "Dude, I'm in the car and literally on my way, on your street, be there in 5..." stuff and they never show up. If I want something I jump on it and take that first time that is convienient for the seller and will make arrangements on my end if I have to to get there. Oh, and I take enough cash for a sizeable deposit with me, that helps. A lot of times you can use other doochebags screwing the seller to your advantage as the seller is tired of the no shows and email promises. That Model A sport coupe I have featured in my other post I bought off Craigslist and used this to my advantage. I was about the 20th phone call, but 1st to show and look so untimately I was able to seal the deal at for a little less because he was tired of the games. Craigslist is notorious for no show buyers, but if you have some integrity can net some awesome deals.

Josh Quick
    Quick Speed Shop

4. money talks and bullshit walks. if you have a down payment that's one thing, but verbal committment both ways is worthless now a days.

5. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

Perhaps he just really wanted it and knowing how far away he was from you thought making an offer would show his interest ?
    You will never know if the first guy would have shown unless you agreed and asked for a deposit.

6. Hodad

Hodad

in a word NoGoodNic

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I like to do things the " Old Fashion Way " !
    Call me or email me is fine BUT I will not make a deal on line unless they come FIRST to see what I have to sell . If we come to an agreement on the price at that time , then they will either have to leave me a down payment to hold it for a "SAID" amount of time . When someone leaves me a down payment , I always give them a receipt with the total price , down payment , and balance and when they will come with the rest of the money and pick up the items that is bought . If they say well isn't my word good enough , I say your word is good but I need a down payment to hold it . If they don't like it , OH WELL !

Since you made a verbal deal with that person on line or by phone then you should have kept that deal with him ! It was wrong to sell that car when you made a deal with someone else already ! That is just plain wrong ! Now if the guy never showed up then tough and I would sell it to the next one in line . You should have told thatthat is person ( the one that bought it) you made a deal with a guy on line coming this weekend and take that guys phone number down if the other one didn't show up .

A deal is a Deal , Sorry but that is the way I was taught ! And yes I would have called you every name in the book too ! You screwed up and that's it !

RetroJim

8. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

I had that happen with a motor one time, guy showed when he said and never haggled price and I had another one listed that I was tired of dealing with so I gave it to him as a bonus.

9. So no firm commitment by the buyer as to when he is going to show up doesn't factor into this for you? What if the guy said I will be buy next week to look but again never set a time you just wait it out hoping he will show up. Their was a lack of communication from both parties involved but to lay all the blame on the seller is not right.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As old as this makes me sound I'm sayin it anyways...the next generation is so used to being coddled and spoiled, instant gratification, constant attention, bitch and cry 'til ya get what ya want, and now we who have been around the block 1 1/2 times are supposed to back up and meet their standards. You know the mindset. The one where every kid gets a trophy because he's on the fuckin team, not because he's a big winner or a MVP. To those I can only say kiss my tired old ass. Be a fuckin man, speak up, tell it like it is, follow through, COMMUNICATE. Things like this, selling used or personal stuff, is one of the simplest forms of contract. "Gimme 'X'..."
    'How 'bout 'Y'? Yes, no or somewhere in the middle. Done. If you miss it you have a story about the one that got away, nothing more. If you as a seller give your word that states you'll either wait for the guy until a set time or it's for sale until the 1st guy shows up you can't go wrong. I like it when spoiled little fucks like your guy whine about their failings. Always worth the price of admission.

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

12. BBobb

BBobb

If i had a dollar for every asshole that flaked on a deal with me i would not have to sell my parts to start with.........case closed!!!

13. This is 100% completely the wrong way to look at this. 440Dave did not make a deal, he only said he would accept 1500 for it. I can't believe people are so obtuse.

14. krave

krave
    from Ca

I agree people have got funny about stuff like this.They think if you have talked with them about something you owe them but if they didn't give you the money they didn't buy anything NO MONEY NO SELL.I had a simular situation with a guy about working for him at a new years eve party he calls me 2 days before he's party I tell him the price its for new years eve I wasn't gonna haggle over price he blows me off tells me he needs to think about it,talk to his brother and so on I say no problem.He called a friend of mine who gave him my number complaining about how I wont work with him on the price.My friend called me I got pissed called the man back and told him I had another person agree to pay me more and that I wasn't going to be able to work for him he raises all kinds of hell that we had an agreement,he was just getting ready to call me back.

People are funny but the first person with the money wins its seems to me it is and should be just that simple...

16. well, I buy and sell a lot of different items on craigslist, evilbay, or just knocking on people's doors and inquiring. I am self employed and it's "part of the business" I have found that 90% percent of email or call offers are bullshitters. It's part of the game and a sign of the times. Older guys are the best to deal with. In fact if a guy calls, we talk and he says he wants to come out and actually shows up, it is pretty much sold. I've only had two guys walk after showing up and that is most likely because I wouldn't budge on the price.

I'm pretty straight forward on both ends of the sale. Here are my personal rules and they apply to both buying and selling.

If Buying:

1)Before I am going to look at something I ask if they are open to offers. I don't make an offer, but I ask.

2) I always bring enough cash to cover the full asking price of the purchase.

3) I always negotiate in person.

4) I always try and look at something a.s.a.p. I'm not going to make you wait and if I am buying it I want it now anyways. If the seller is unavailabe I make plans and always call if plans fall through.

5) I won't ask you to hold it or make a deposit. If I don't have cash now...I wont have it later.

If selling:

1) I will not negoitiate over the phone or emails...unless he/she is out of the state/area.

2) I will not hold it or take a deposit. you better hurry to the bank or bring cash before hand.

3) it's not yours till i sign the title or have cash in hand.

17. Your biggest mistake was e-mailing the first guy to tell him it sold. If you hadn't, you probably would have never heard from him again anyway.

Furthermore, if you firmly believe that there was no deal, you had no obligation to notify him. The fact that you did kind of means you acknowledge that there was some form of agreement.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  18. phukinartie

phukinartie

Uhh.yeah I'll come up this weekend... How many fucking times have we heard that??
    If he wanted that bad he should have got his ass over with at least a deposit
    highlander has nailed alot of our next generation on the head

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Get it or regret it.
    if ya want it persue it. Good things DONT come to those who wait. Hunt it down and stay on it. Seller wins.

20. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Appointments are specific times to be there. Like SAT.@ 12.00 .Not anytime over a 72 hour weekend.Any of my deals both parties are clear on whats going on. There 2 sides to every story.........then the TRUTH.........Brian

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

The guy wasn't serious about buying it...... I buy and sell alot of parts and a few cars and if someone says they will be by to pay me and pick something up on the weekend I let them know that if they don't show I won't hold it for them..... I sold a truck here on the hamb and it went to austraila it took about 2 months to finish the deal but the guy had sent me a nice deposit by paypal so it was his.... that showed he wanted it .... but when people don't show or don't put anything down and expect you to hold it for the to come look at or buy at there pleasure it is just bullshit....

22. BBobb

BBobb

That make it three sides to a story....lol

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Then what world do you live in when the seelr said he would ACCEPT the offer ? That mean he would take that amount of money for the auto !
    THAT IS A DEAL FOR SAID AMOUNT !

RetroJim

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I have had three people tell me "Hey I was gonna buy that car" In regards to my 52 Chevy since I got it. When I first saw the for sale sign I asked about it ? I Showed up the next day with the cash in hand, Looked it over a little better on the spot. We went for a test drive and boom done deal. I couldnt get it done fast enough. Some other people even stopped buy to check out the car as we were doing the transaction. The old man I bought it from said a few people had looked and offered to make deposits but He figured " If they really want it they will get the cash." You cant waste time when it comes to a good deal cuase you aint the only one looking !! Although I do see both sides of the story, as the potential buyer I would have been pissed off too. But then again after having sold a few cars lately I know how the no shows can be frustrating too.

25. How is I will be over sometime this weekend to look at it a deal? He didn't say he would take it and made no firm time commitments. The only thing that was agreed upon was that if the buyer happened to show up and happened to want it the seller would take $1500.00. NOT A DEAL!

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

DAVE...my son saw a car on ebay. john say's i'll get back tomorrow. well that night the price go's up $500.00. he dosn't get angry,WHY? no deal struck yet! so forget about it, that jerk was an WHAT?...POP.

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It all comes down to this one thing , BAD COMMUNICATION ! Bottom line !

RetroJim

28. Spity

Spity

When I buy I always show up when I say im going to show up - and if I cant make it I give whos ever time I would be wasting a call to inform them (ahead of time). If im going to be late I let them know, because the world doesnt revolve around me. This should be a standard practice.

My most effective wheeling dealing trick is to ask have you had any offers yet? Usually they will respond with that there minimum is(by saying they were offered X amount), and itsa good starting point. If i like the price, I'll offer them less and say cash right now. ;)

If someone wants to come see something I have that is garnishing alot of interest, I have a set appointment time that I have everyone come at the same time. This adds a sense of urgency to buyers and it gives some people the nerve to step up.

If someone doesnt show up when they say they are and then call days later, if they call back and do eventually show up - they can expect to pay full asking price.

One guy didnt show up when he said he was, and then called a week late to apologize and said life got in the way. When he did show up he came with a peace offering of a case of beer. I thought that was cool, and gave him the stuff for free. Of course it cost him a case of cheap beer.

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You might be in another country but what does "ACCEPT" mean to you ??????
    Sounds like you are sticking up for your buddy's error !

RetroJim

30. LOL That I will agree upon. From both sides.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.