Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller
    from TN

New here but thought I would add these.

The first one is owned by a family here in the town where I grew up. I've only seen this car once at the car show I took the pics. I never knew there was an old cup car in my neck of the woods. I've known the family my whole life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second car was driven at local short tracks by another gentleman here in my hometown I've known my whole life. The family that owns the above Chevelle also own this car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller
    from TN

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everybody!!!

[​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Joe Shear after an ASA win at the Louisville Fairgrounds...

[​IMG]

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Bobby Allison was late getting to the Louisville Fairgrounds one night and Charlie Glotzbach shook the car down for him. Somehow, B.A. seems a little skeptical about what Charlie is saying...

[​IMG]

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

We had this race covered. That's Dan Spence of All-Pro and myself at the first All-American 400 at Nashville. The goggles were because I had caught a rock in the neck in practice the day before and I was worried about my new glasses. A couple of weeks before at Winchester, I had a lens broken. Didn't want it happening again.

[​IMG]

7. copley62

copley62

what year was that I think I was there.

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, I can't recall the year. Had to be 83 or so. I think I flagged the first two of those before leaving ASA.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Well, Copley, I guess my CRS is worse than I thought. A check of the records shows the first one was in 1981, won by Butch Lindley. That photo may not have been from the first one, because I'm not sure we had Silver Creek as a sponsor then, and ASA officials would have been in red shirts. That means I flagged four of them. Bob Senneker won in 1982, Jim Sauter in 1983, and Gary Balough in 1984.

10. copley62

copley62

Check out pics on Taylor County Speedway Topix. Some great photos on there.

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, I did a search for Taylor County Speedway on Topix and got a result for everything that had any of the three words in it. You're gonna have to give me a link.

12. fredsmailes

fredsmailes
    from BC Canada

Hey, new here. This pic has haunted me for a long time
    does anyone have an inkling?
    I've owned and rodded a 64 Comet for over 35 yrs so
    thats why the interest. I ran a Falcon street stock
    and a T-bird late model in the 80's in SK. Canada

13. Anybody here have any pictures of Roy Tyner or Bobby Wawak from the early 70s?

I have an old rear steer Banjo car and I'm trying to track its history.

I was told it was at one time a Roy Tyner car with a Torino body. Since then it was rebodied with a '76 Mercury Montego body.

Here's a few pics.

14. edweird

edweird

This pic is a friend of mine who past away a couple of yrs ago. He ran it at the old charleston speedway.

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Don't recognize that Falcon, but we had a guy who ran an early Falcon at the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville. He called it "The Vulture."

16. Racewriter

Racewriter

If you go to www.racing-reference.info, you'll see that Tyner ran the following Torinos in NASCAR Grand National races before retiring.

1968 - Car # 76 - owned by Don Culpepper. This car was more commonly run by Ben Arnold.

1969 - NONE - ran #9 Pontiacs all year.

1970 - #82 - owned by Mack Sellers - one race. Also #92 - self owned - four races. Could have been the same car.

After 1970, Tyner never ran another Grand National race. That doesn't mean that he couldn't have run another Torino in ARCA, GN East, Sportsman, etc.

Here's one place to start - look carefully at the chassis, particularly the rear half. 1968-1970 Torinos (which the above listed cars would have been) were all half-chassis, leaf spring cars. Does your car appear to have a front half of a tube chassis grafted into a unibody? Does the rear have leaf springs, or appear to have originally been a leaf spring car? In that case, it very well might have been such a car.

Now, however, let me toss one more worm into the can. Banjo's Performancenter started as a car-building facility in 1971. When the factories pulled out, Banjo started building chassis to take the place of Holman/Moody, which shut down their own chassis shop. In fact, '71 and on H/M Fords were actually built at Banjo's and tagged at H/M. Banjo started tagging his own cars in about '72, which coincided with the production Torino returning to being a full frame, coil spring rear suspension car. If your car has obviously always been a full frame coil spring car, or if it is tagged a Banjo car, it's a '72 or later.

There were Banjo-built cars before 1971. Those would have been the cars that Banjo built for his own team, and those cars did of course filter down to independents; it's possible that one of those Torinos that Tyner drove could have been one. But if your car were one of those, it would have a lot more illustrious history than Roy Tyner; it would have Donnie Allison, A.J. Foyt, etc. as a former driver.

You should also look in the engine mount area. If it looks like modifications have been done, it probably started out as a big block car, which puts it in the '74 and earlier category.

I hope this helps at least a little to narrow things down. The trouble with establishing a NASCAR car's history, especially ones from the '60s and '70s, is that they had long lives, usually passed through a lot of teams, and are a little like George Washington's axe - handle replaced six times, head replaced eight, but it's GW's axe. A typical life for a car back then would have been to start with a top team for a year or two, get sold to an independent who ran it 3-4 years with a few different skins, then either to a poorer independent or to a Sportsman team. Some are still discovered pounding around some 1/4 mile dirt track as a Street Stock, even today. Good luck to you!

If all else fails...

Pick out a favorite Merc from the time, and "restore" it to that version. There's always a 10% chance that it could have been that car!

17. copley62

copley62

Check out this Indybigjohn( topix Campbellsville ky forum) then go to taylor county speedway . And then click on pictures

18. Thanks for the detailed information.

The time line and information on Banjo cars helps me tremendously.

The history of this being a Roy Tyner Torino was told to me by a previous owner, but from your information it would seem inaccurate.

I've had this car several years. Shortly after I bought I had a chance meeting with David Ifft, well known as a crew chief for Darrel Waltrip. Fortunately I had the car with me at the time.

He said it was exactly the same kind of car that Pearson won the '76 Daytona 500 with (let me state, not that car!!, it's accounted for).

He said it was a Banjo chassis. But he also doubted that the body was in NASCAR form because the fender flare openings and bumpers weren't like they were done back then. He told me that Banjo used a combination of parts that included a Banjo front clip attached to a Monte Carlo frame, coil spring rear using truck arms and a panhard bar. Which is exactly the way this car is built.

The truck arms attach to a fabricated square tubing K frame. In the rear there's some short extensions on the frame to increase its length to the rear bumper. Under a thick layer of black paint is red.

I'll have to check the motor mounts for possible changes, but I don't recall seeing any. Right now there's a dummy 351 Cleveland block in it.

Sanding through some of the primer on all the lower body panels is a light metallic gray body color. Looks like the OE color of the donor car.

Car has a drum brakes in front. I'm not sure when they were phased out. Probably depended upon the teams budget. The rear was changed to a flanged axle non-floater 9".

So, that's what I know.

Based upon what you say, this car post dates the era of Roy Tyner in NASCAR. So ......................

Like you say, in it's present configuration it could me made what I want it. Being a Bobby Allison follower, doing it up as a Penske Cam-2 fuel sponsored Mercury would be neat. Penske sold all his Mercury stuff to Bill Elliot, so that's a possibility too, but I was never a big Elliot fan.

Pass on any more info you can think of.

Thanks again.

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ain't it amazin' Gracie...one of the neatest things about the HAMB is that somewhere, someone has the information that's needed.

20. Falconred

Falconred

"1968 - Car # 76 - owned by Don Culpepper. This car was more commonly run by Ben Arnold."

Could this be the one you are talking about?

[​IMG]

21. Racewriter

Racewriter

That's the one, Falcon. Thanks for the photo.

22. Brucet84

Brucet84
    from Florida

I am searching for old photos and/or videos from the late 50's through the late 60's of some stock cars from Mt. Lawn Speedway and Sun Valley Speedway [ Now Anderson Speedway] in Indiana. My Dad owned 2 '35-'36 Ford coupe convertibles that raced these and a few other tracks as well. [ Muncie Raceway , Eldora ect.] The first was a black #88 and the second was a black # 84. Then in mid 60's he built and raced 2 " late models ". The first was an orange '57 Chevy convertible # 84 and the second was an orange '57 chevy sedan # 84. The drivers in these cars were Johnny Noble , Dave Weir , Dick Hinshaw , L.J. Lines and a couple others.

My dad [ Hollis Thompson ] died in 2001 and left behind very few pictures. As a kid I did a lot of work on these cars and spent many an hour at the tracks and towing to and from them. If you have any info/pictures or know someone who does, I would greatly appreciate your sharing.

Thanks . Bruce Thompson @ [email protected]

23. Brucet84

Brucet84
    from Florida

<table id="post4699477" class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_4699477" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(229, 229, 229);"> I am searching for old photos and/or videos from the late 50's through the late 60's of some stock cars from Mt. Lawn Speedway and Sun Valley Speedway [ Now Anderson Speedway] in Indiana. My Dad owned 2 '35-'36 Ford coupe convertibles that raced these and a few other tracks as well. [ Muncie Raceway , Eldora ect.] The first was a black #88 and the second was a black # 84. Then in mid 60's he built and raced 2 " late models ". The first was an orange '57 Chevy convertible # 84 and the second was an orange '57 chevy sedan # 84. The drivers in these cars were Johnny Noble , Dave Weir , Dick Hinshaw , L.J. Lines and a couple others.

My dad [ Hollis Thompson ] died in 2001 and left behind very few pictures. As a kid I did a lot of work on these cars and spent many an hour at the tracks and towing to and from them. If you have any info/pictures or know someone who does, I would greatly appreciate your sharing.

<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;"> [​IMG] [​IMG] </td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"> <!-- controls --> [​IMG] [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>

24. Brucet84

Brucet84
    from Florida

I am searching for old photos and/or videos from the late 50's through the late 60's of some stock cars from Mt. Lawn Speedway and Sun Valley Speedway [ Now Anderson Speedway] in Indiana. My Dad owned 2 '35-'36 Ford coupe convertibles that raced these and a few other tracks as well. [ Muncie Raceway , Eldora ect.] The first was a black #88 and the second was a black # 84. Then in mid 60's he built and raced 2 " late models ". The first was an orange '57 Chevy convertible # 84 and the second was an orange '57 chevy sedan # 84. The drivers in these cars were Johnny Noble , Dave Weir , Dick Hinshaw , L.J. Lines and a couple others.

25. Yep, look at the leaf spring rear end. The one I have is coil, so it has to be a later car.

26. Falconred

Falconred

Here is a photo of the Elliot Merc. I have some shots of the car when Penske had it. I also have some shots of the yellow Blackie Wangerin (sp) Merc. Dick Trickle also had (and wrecked) a Sportsman (Busch) Merc. at Daytona once. I don't have these photos at my office right now. My negatives are in the process of being scanned and I should be able to post a few more in the future. I also added the Woods bro. car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Racewriter

Racewriter

There were a bunch of guys who ran those year Mercs in NASCAR. The appearance of the Merc skin even makes me wonder if the car was ever actually finished and raced as a notchback Montego.

Falcon - the Merc you're thinking of with Trickle was one of the incredibly cool and damn near impossible to find nowadays fastback Montegos, about a '73. That was in the big '75 wreck that involved Jim Vandiver, JD McDuffie, and several others.

Some that I can think of who ran that year Merc, aside from the Penske/Elliott/Wood guys already discussed:

Dick Brooks (Junie Donlavey, blue/white #90)
    Morgan Shepherd (Jim Makar Enterprises, yellow/white #84)
    Blackie Wangerin (self owned, white/red #39)
    Elmo Langley (self owned, red/gold #64)

28. flathead51

flathead51
    from Tacoma

Great Thread! Love this classic stock car stuff. Here is a few pics of some West cost late model track champ Dean Conway. These late 70's cars are his start, later to move and crew for Jimmy "Smut" Means out of Huntsville in Cup Series. He raced some in Las Vagas, Ontario, Bakersfield, Boise, and home town track of Bonneville raceway now Rocky Mountain.

29. Falconred

Falconred

Yep, I had a '73 Montego GT. I guess of all the cars I have had I regret getting rid of it the most. The '72 and '73 shared the same body style with the exception of the 5 MPH bumpers required on the front of the '73. I recently checked the records and found that mine was one of 139 equipped as mine was.

Merry Christmas to all.

30. The car was painted blue over the top of the silver/gray & red oxide primer. Only a hint of the blue is left on the doors and a few other panels. That probably was its short track paint job. I understand it did some duty at Greenville-Pickens in a lower class that wouldn't allow the floater GN rear end.

I'm leaning in the same direction as you that it was re-bodied and never run with the big boys in this configuration. Or it was a Montego and just got re-skinned. The match of the roll cage and all the interior sheet metal to the body sheel sure looks like it was built for this style body.

Again, I wonder how many teams ran a red chassis. The fuel cell enclosure and most of the trunk panels are also red.

Time to do some more homework.