Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone make a rotisserie out of engine stands? Got pix?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Dec 14, 2009.

1. johnboy13

johnboy13

I want to pull the cab off the frame of my 57 this winter and have heard of people using two engine stands to hold the cab while it's off. Have you done it? Do you have pics of how you mounted the cab to the stands? Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I could figure it out on my own, but I would just like to avoid unnecessary headaches. Thanks, John

2. doctorZ

doctorZ

it sounds like a pretty good idea, but i can't imagine most engine stands are tall enough to be able to rotate the body. when i have used rotisseries, they had a stand that went from one side to the other and we welded tabs to it and used the stock body mounting points. so long as this rail is centered horizontally and relatively centered with the center of gravity you should be able to spin it with *relative* ease.

3. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I have done it before, the problem you will encounter is that engine stands have a slight angle to them, and it creates an issue when you try to turn them. For the time and money its not worth it. Your better off just using a table.

4. Fogger

Fogger

I've used two engine stands for painting frames. Probably won't work well for a body.

5. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

two harbour freight engine stands and 4x3 square tube and bolted together on the bottom center to bolt both stands together. It worked great and then breaks down to store behind the shop. It held our o/t 1971 Cuda on there.

Attached Files:

6. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

brilliant!

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Unique, That is a great idea.

You are better off building your own. There are plenty of plans available on the internet for free. Just google it. I built mine this fall from said plans. About $500 worth of steel and jacks (I bought everything new, so it could be done cheaper if you have some of the materials laying around).

Holds my 62 Merc with no problem.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. percher

percher

Here is a link to the one I built. Classic Auto Restorer magazine had more detailed plans in the Nov 1994 issue but this site has all the important stuff for ya. I have a copy of the Mag but this is exactly the same one. A pair of Bumper jacks can be used to lift if your gonna be swapin' cars often,,,,or just use your cherry picker. Enjoy, Don Stamper

http://members.tripod.com/mopar_roadster/body_rotisserie.html

9. MP&C

MP&C

10. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Nice and simple. I like it.