Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dan Glover mid-engine gold 57 chevy from Yucaipa California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevrolet150, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Found some more..The three photos on number 2 are from 1990 by the owner. At the time he was Gary Davis of Il. He bought the car from the dead owners wife out of a barn. He restored it after he saw it in Car Craft Feb 1989.
    Dan Gold 57 4.jpg Gold 57 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2022
    echo ed likes this.
  2. monsterflake

monsterflake

looks like a solid lead! who knows gary davis at davis auto?

3. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Thats not him, But I just talked to the real Gary Davis. He sold the car in 1995 and he is trying to run it down now.
    The bad news is that Gary had a fender bender and had the car painted RED.

“Choices you make, not chances you take determine your destiny”

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Loving all the stories and additional photos of that 57.

I, like many others here, remember drooling over that magazine pictorial several moons ago.

SWEET!!!!!!!!

5. What an awesome machine! I can't imagine what it felt like to stomp on the gas pedal of that beast with the 5.13's, blown small block and all that setback. Did you get to race it Dan?

6. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

Thanks for the pics and all the info. Please keep it coming if possible. This is just plain frickin awsome.:D Tim

7. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

To Kiwi Kev, No I never raced it. It wasn't strip legal at that time.
    With the turbo 400 and the 5:13's it did get your attention. Some of the next owners didn't have much luck tuning the injectors so I have been told. To chevrolet150 I do have more to post, but it's time to call it a night.I don't know if all you guys know it or not, but the old Gold made it in "The Best of Car Craft 50th anniversary Collectors issue" Feb 2004. I'll post it later. They just reprinted the 1972 article.<O:p
    <O:p
    <O:p>“Choices you make, not chances you take determine your destiny”</O:p>

8. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

DAN! it is great to see you on the HAMB, you have been a great influence on me since I first saw your 57 in a car magazine when I was younger.
    heres a pic of my car, although not mid engine.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Duke
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Wow. I love the HAMB. Welcome, Dan!

10. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Duke, Wow nice ride.

Tyre, Thans this is fun on the HAMB

11. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Duke, Wow nice ride.
    Tyre, Thanks, this HAMB is fun,

12. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Twice is better than none...LOL

Straight30weight likes this.
  13. Butch Holmberg

Butch Holmberg

As requested I attached a photo of my mid engine 57 Thames that back on our youth Dan would be out cruising in his awesome 57 blown mid engine Chevy and I would be cruising in the mid engine Chevy powered Thames. Most people would say to me: "Dan's 57 Chevy is totally bitchin!" and then turn to me and ask: "What in the heck are you driving?"

Attached Files:

14. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Hey Butch,
    Thanks for the post.. Cool.

Dan

15. Dan, It is very cool to get you on here and discussing your car!! That picture of you sitting in the back seat is too far out, I love it. Can you describe how you came to that configuration and what motivated you to actaully do that other than the motor was in the way?? ha ha It would be awesome to hear you describe what it was like when you nailed the gas and what the experience was driving around from the back seat!!

Was Two Lane Black Top an inspiration at all?

16. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

I just ran across this thread. i cant believe it!!!!!!!! this car has been a HUGE inspiration for me through my whole life. i remember seeing it for the first time looking through my fathers old mags. i've been in love ever sense. the build pictures gave me the chills. Dan, you couldnt build a 57 any more perfect its just not possable! unbelievable!!!!!!!!

17. I'm Bad I'm Nationwide.

I'm Bad I'm Nationwide.
    from Howell Mi

I like your new avatar..

18. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Welcome Dan and Butch. It's a real pleasure having you both here on the Hamb. I look forward to more stories and hope that the '57 turns up.

19. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Everything Tudor said....and uh...did you really build the engine in your bedroom? Awesome stuff!! I dig it!!

20. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5" align=center SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>
    Just a quick note do to time being short.
    Yes I built the engine in the bedroom. Well I assembled it there because it was the cleanest place I could find. It is also true I started it in the bedroom. The photo below shows the engine just after I rolled it outside to run it again, and for a longer time. You can't see the wheels in the photo, but it had four so I could move it around. Good thing my bedroom was on the ground level. Only this version of the engine was for my normal black '57 210 hard top. It was about 2 1/2 years later it got a roller cam and fuel injection and I built the gold car.

Attached Files:

21. hell yes!!:D

22. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Awesome stuff, this is one of the coolest threads ever....the hamb rules! And your avatar pic is just righteous!!!

23. Ramblur

Ramblur

So YOUR that guy! I spent most of 7th grade building my own version with
    a Revell 57 Nomad model. Bought my 57 wagon/delivery my freshman year
    and 34 years later I'm rebuilding it again. Did you ever imagine your influence had spread so far and wide?
    Thanks for helping a young kid in the early 70's explore the possibilities.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. lorodz

lorodz

any news on the car yet ????

25. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Sweet! :cool:

Your 57 was an inspiration to many of us youngsters back then.

I remember the first time I saw pictures of it and I was just blown away!

I still have the magazines in a box somewhere.

Good to see the build pictures and your recollections.

Hopefully somebody will track down this legendary ride and share the newest pics with the rest of us.

26. NeverEnuf

NeverEnuf
    from Louisiana

Hey just in case you are all thinking Chevrolet 150 is just into butchering cars that is wrong he does some wonderful restoration work too. Look at all the ruckus you have created...LOL.

Dude the Anglia Mid Engine is the same as the old body I have stuffed in the corn shed up the country...

27. Dan Glover I don't know you, but you have just got to be beeming right now. Your dream, was awe inspiring to a lot of people....who haven't forgot. Thanks, much appreciated.

28. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

One time I was driving the gold Chevy around town and headed to west Yucaipa to an area known as Dunlap Acres. I was whistling through the housing area and turned a corner and was about to lay into it a little when I saw two California Highway patrol cars with the cops just standing around shooting the bull. They looked at me from about 5 feet or so and then they did a double take, looked back at each other as to say (did you see that) looked back at me and just had that deer in the headlight look with their jaw lying on the ground. I waved and just keep going figuring they would get in the patrol cars and at least stop me to verify what the heck this was. I guess they were too stunned to do anything. I made it home with no cops in sight.

dan31 likes this.
  29. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Great story....

30. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Things seem to have gone cold on this thread so I decided to post some of the magazine photos of the ‘57. I know most of you guys have see them all, but there has to be some one that has never seen any of them. So at the risk of boring you here they are.
    Dan
    This is Super Chevy Jan 1990 done by the same guy 'Jere Alhadeff' that did the Popular Hot Rod artical (sep 1971?)
    These photos were all taken at the Redlands Airport near San Bernardino California. This was about 2 or three months after the Car Craft photos were taken.

Attached Files: