Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where do you buy your parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Bob, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

I was wondering where do you buy your auto parts,and what is the quality like?Around here Autozone,Autosource NAPA,and O'Rilies.I've tried them all and the Quality sucks!Sure they will replace it but when you have to replace a starter or water pump 2 or 3 times to get a new one it's ridiculous.Oh btw these were new not rebuilt.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

they mostly all get heir parts from the same source. not much choice if that's the case. one is just as bad or good as the other.

3. rgaller

rgaller

I usually go to a local rebuilder for starters and alternators. In my experience, they seem to last quite a bit longer.

4. We are supposed to buy parts? I usually just drive a car until it breaks or needs work then send it back to the wholesale auction and get another one.

5. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

napa... good store,,, great people.. good help, been going for years,, first name, no money down to order... good guys at my napa...

6. 54 savoy

54 savoy

i usually use autozone,because their website is easiest and they have the reward deal got 20$ off a batt when the one in my ot truck died.i use robertsmotorparts for plymouth stuff.

7. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I get parts from a local independent car and truck parts place. Great people, very knowledgeable, can get anything I need, overnight if they don't already have it (usually do).

8. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

The swap meet : ))

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Lately, I've been using Alliance vendors for almost ALL my hot rod parts.

10. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I get most of my stuff from O Reilly. I can't see why anyone would complain about their part quality. They sell all the Federal Mogul lines. I use Felpro, Carter, Gates, Moog, and Wagner. All from O Reilly and all are pretty top of the line parts.

11. madpole

madpole

for a chain auto parts store NAPA seem to be the best in my area. they seem to have better quality parts and are cool about matching up parts from there catalogs, since all of my cars are too old for the computers.

12. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Cheap plug for Exeter Auto Supply

13. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i use a local mom and pop kinda parts store......the parts are better, they have great knowlage on old stuff.....some times i use rockauto.com they have a ton of shit and its all name brand, really good prices too.

14. the owners/shareholders of the manufacturing company can shed lots of cost by not testing every part, how much money do you think it would cost to test every new part?? Lots of dough right, You just tested three of them for that company free of charge to them. The guy in front of you did the same and the next guy in line will do the same.

15. for everyday stuff:

in my neighborhood... Napa
    on the 'net... rockauto

16. bobscogin

bobscogin

Same here. When I want quality parts sold to me by knowledgeable parts counter folks, it's NAPA and only NAPA.

Bob

17. no chains unless i need it NOW and it's after the parts store closes. i've said it before SUPPORT your local autoparts store or they'll all be gone. we use napa at work and thier parts are OK but they still hire special people. if i moved out of my area i would still come back for my store (baums auto). if you really must use the internet for regular parts then try dmarv on here, he has a regular store too (look at post #12).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  18. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

For everyday stuff I get my parts from my work, The Parts House. We stock a lot of Napa's, AutoZone's... I get an employee discount on all of our merch. We stock moog, wagner, felpro...but we also have some stuff that I wont use... When I cant get it from work, and its good stuff, I get it if not mom and pops store and rebuilders it is for me. Luckily we supply them to and another discoount for me too!

19. i try to rebuild as much as ever possible,i use napa and allicnce vendors for every thing else

20. RDR

RDR

Auto Parts Mart; 2 Bald Guys and a Dog....You Asked....!

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I doubt that. I doubt that you've tried them all, and that the quality sucked. I've bought from Autozone, Checker, Advance, Brakes Plus, NAPA,and O'Rilly . I haven't bought a car part in about 40 years that didn't work good and last a long time.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  22. psyco50

psyco50
    from Pomona,ca

I get most of my parts at Reids hot rod in Orange, The early ford store in San Dimas,
    Fatman Fabrications, Jamco and the best place of all Craigslist, and when it comes to the basic parts, Kargans.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NAPA, mostly. They are often not the least expensive, but the customer service and counter knowledge is worth the premium.

They always work with me to find what I want, if I don't already know. They greet me by name, and remember the crazy stuff that I am working on.

If I can't get quality auto parts anywhere, at least I can get quality service somewhere. Never gonna' find that in the "year/make/model" stores.

24. brady1929

brady1929

napa get another vote. jim in gilbert, az is very knowledgable.

25. I agree with the last 2 posters, NAPA is by far the best for service.

26. confederate

confederate

Fisher Auto Parts.

27. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I'd prefer NAPA but the guys that work at the one by me couldn't find their ass with a roadmap & both hands.Heaven forbid they have to look something up so it's usually Advance auto or MM&J.

28. oj

oj

Only 1 guy on here went to a speed shop, now why is that? No wonder we are a dying breed.

29. Parts Store - Bowness Auto.
    Online - The Filling Station, Chevs of the 40s
    Rare and stoopid shit I can't find - eGay.

30. I travel 30 miles to a NAPA store in the city I previously lived in. Dealt with them since '77, they signed with NAPA in the mid 90's.

There was a independent near there that I dealt with since the mid 60's, but they changed lines several times and the quality of their parts went downhill.

And if a NAPA part under warranty fails, a trip to the nearest NAPA fixes the problem.

AutoZone, mixed results, usually unfavorable. Depends greatly on the one behind the counter. But they did shock me, they actually had a master cylinder in stock for a '67 Catalina drum brake car that was critically needed on a Sunday evening.

Speed shops, a dying breed around here. One about 7 miles away, next one in Dearborn Heights, about 45-50 miles one way. And because my cars are not mainstream, it usually means a trip to the internet.

I guess I'm a little biased as I have worked in GM dealer parts departments since '70.