Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 chevy survivor "barnfind" Gasser project" update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassertruck, Nov 21, 2009.

1. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

This is my neighbors car that I"m turning into a gasser for him. I have already narrowed the ford 9,put the back brace on,rear suspension,now getting front frame cut off and welding 2''x4'' box in place,parallel leaf springs and a 2" straight axle.Then a roll cage and traction link bars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

3. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

the axle is from an old gasser just cleaned up a bit it still has some rust on the chrome looks sweet

Attached Files:

4. SteadyT

SteadyT

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

cool, whats gonna motor that bad mutha?

6. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

7. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

small block chevy for now dont know what size

8. Very cool it looks like its gonna be a very nice gasser

9. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

nice car to start with..

10. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

it is a very nice car. I talked him into leaving the paint alone and then into putting a straight axle under the car so it looks like an old gasser that has been stored in a barn for years.

11. novadude

novadude

Looks great, but I would highly recommend different rear wheels. Rodlites and pie crusts just don't go together IMO.

12. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

i think he is gonna put some old school rims on there eventually but i dont know

13. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Yeah what he said...plus the narrowed 9" with a brace isn't quite right either...but that is just my opinion.

Does look like a nice ride tho....

14. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

what do you mean "right" because it's not olds or Pontiac rear end,well to "be right" gasser's did not have 4-speeds rather they used hydro-matics but every gasser i see has a 4-speed in them.

15. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

that 9 is spooled 456 gears with axles,plus i have never ever even seen some one want to run a really old Pontiac or olds i will take a dana 60 any day

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

He may be referring to the brace across the 9". Keep us posted on the build. I love the gasser look, especially on a '50's car. Oh yeah, plenty of gassers did run 4spd. I may not have been there to witness it first hand but I can show you plenty of articles.

17. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

man what a nice looking car! nice car too start with!! keep us posted!!

18. solid

solid

19. Butch M

Butch M

that. cool.....

20. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks like a very nice car.Good call in talking him into original paint.Keep us posted.

21. colorado kid

colorado kid
    BANNED
    from Colorado

bad ass... keep us posted

22. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

23. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

What gassers didn't run 4speeds? Hell only guys with bigger money had hydros or cluthflytes in them. From all the tracks my dad ran at in the late sixties through early seventies, only a couple of gassers could he recall did not have manual trans in em. Usually guys had to be sponsored or owned a speedshop/trans place that sold the hydros and cluthflytes etc run them, otherwise sticks were what as he called it, real racers had!!

I wasn't trying to star a pissin match, just statin that if it was to be built to be like it was a barfind from a car put away back in the gasser days, it more than likely would not have had a fabbed up 9" in the back......but the 4 speed sure would have been in there. Adn when i say fabbed up 9", i am not sayin you have a fab9, just the fact that you fabbed up a brace for the back of it. Anyways...good luck with the build.....enjoy the ride!!

24. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Then you were not around back when gassers were alive and kickin....even guys runnin fed's would use the BOP rears as they were some of the very strongest rears you could get in the day. Shit man, guys would even put chevy truck rears in thier cars as well as 3/4 and 1 ton full floaters in them...why? Because that was what they had that was strong and already had low gears too!! The 9" ford was not as popular in the 60's as it became in the later years. Even the Dana 60's were not as common then. I am not sure what gassers you had in your area that were set up as you say, but they are much differant than those that were around most of the country.

Back then you didn't have the tire compounds you have now days that would destroy most of the parts guys were runnin then. Most slicks were recaps, hard compounds that really slipped quite a bit...some guys would spin 'em quite regularly through first and second gears. Towards the end of the 60's wrinkle walls were getting more affordable and the regular guys were buying them...and realising that when the tires hook and do not spin...shit breaks!!! The first two weekends my dad ran with his new M&H Racemaster wrinkle walls, he broke axle shafts. Third week, broke the trans...long story short, he started running a little more air in them than what M&H suggested, allowing for a little tire slip/spin and no more breakage.

Anyhow, I was just makin some observations to what you are building and what theme it seemed you were going after. Just like was suggested earlier about the wheels, not quite what was run back then, but hey if it what the guy wants to run or all he has...so be it. It is his car!!! The car looks good, it will be cool....relax and enjoy.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool! not hackin on your build but the rearend looks a little far back in this pic.
    May just be the pic?
    [​IMG]

26. NO 4SPDS? WTF! ALOT HAD 4SPDS. mine IS a survivor and DOES have a 4spd. you need to radius those wheel wells. and toss those Rodlites. Cheater Skicks and Rodlites go together about as well Hemmroid cream and a toothbrush. They just don't go together.

28. Ruiner

Ruiner

Better watch what you say about Pontiac and Olds rears around here, because plenty of guys flog the shit outta them to this day, and they were WAY more common in the 60's and 70's than the 9" was...if you're trying to build a fake survivor gasser, you're way off on the entire rearend/wheel/tire setup...and radius those wheelwells...hell, nobody had money to narrow a rearend unless you were running an FED, the gasser guys were mostly low budget privateers, some were lucky to get sponsors, but most busted their asses to modify cheap and available parts...

29. anyone smell burning flesh?

30. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az