Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marvel Mystert Oil Usage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Payaso, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Payaso

Payaso

So how long would you folks suggest running some Marvel Mystery Oil in a 350SBC with 10w30? I've heard everything from substituting one quart of my conventional oil with a quart of MMO...leaving it in the life of the oil change (approx. 3,000miles)? I've heard adding half a quart for the same duration? I've heard only running said amount for no more than 300 miles? Adding just a pint? Adding only 2 ounces!!? I have an email to MMO with the same question...but I wanted to get your opinions.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

By the way, the issue...I have a very light lifter tap that I want to try and quiet...I know...if you heard it, you would look at me and laugh...it's not loud at all. I do plan on replacing the lifters next Spring...but I'd like to see what MMO can do in the meantime. I've heard all kinds of great things about this stuff...never anything bad...

Thanks!!

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

there are probably dozens of threads on this subject .search and you'll find them.

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

A large construction co. based in this area (they are national ) runs a pint of marvel in every oil change, in every vehicle and piece of equipment they own. They have been doing this since the 50's.
    I have been inside many of their engines over the years and it is amazing how clean they are inside...BTW , they also have a large quarry and most of the trucks etc. they sell off are cancerous hulks.( still running good, for the most part )
    Dave
    Dont know what the stuff is, but I use it and recommend it highly.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

it's penetrating oil with wintergreen added...no mystery.

6. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks Hotrod-Linkin, I appreciate the links...I did find those threads in my intial search...but they really didn't have the definitive answer, as far as how long they kept it in the motor, that I am looking for...except for the tractor guy...there were a few responses with "I think" and "maybe" as well, but that did not really answer it either...

I'm looking for a personal experience from someone with a SBC or similar, and how they may have used the Mystery Oil...

Dave Lewis...You use a Quart of MMO every oil Change? 4 Conventional oil and 1 Mystery Oil? And you leave it in there the entire "3,000" miles? No problems? Cautions?

Thanks Again!

7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I use a pint on engines I do not know the history of for the first few changes. Then just 4 oz. Been doing this a long time with no problems.
    Works well in the gas tank. Also been known to run a little in the auto trans.
    I know I will get some heat over this, but I use this stuff a lot. I buy it by the gallon!
    This is from a guy thats been in the parts / machine shop/ racing game since 1969.
    I normally do not recommend any type of additive or "snake oil ' type stuff...Marvel is the real deal !!! Smell good too ! LOL !
    Dave

8. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks Dave!! 4 ounces...I've heard something similar to that a few times...2oz and 4oz seems to be a trend...the whole 32oz seemed a little much...I understand that stuff is pretty thin...and although it's cold here...and I'm running 10w30...I wasn't sure if a whole quart was going to give me the protection the motor needs? Well, I'll give it a try...

Anyone else have any more advice? I'm listening...I'm not due to change the oil until mid next month...So if anyone has something to add...please let me know!!

Thanks Again Dave...

9. RAY With

RAY With

marvel is a great product and I have used it as far back as I can remember.When I would get a new car (flatty power) they were always full of sluge and we would run Schaler Reslone in it the first oil change which seemed to remove most of it then go to the Marvel at each oil change.Back then flattys were $15.00 to $40.00 at the salvage yards so if we blew a rod a weeks pay was involved in getting a fresh junk yard replacement.It always seem to work for us and I also still use it today in car and air tools.

10. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

Its great my buddy has been into rotary engines since the mid 70s He uses MMO in the gas and oil all the time and has few engine problems.

Few of the farms and ranches we sold too bought them by the drum.The vehicles would wear out befor the motors.

11. noboD

noboD

There are those that call it snake oil. I've fixed several stickey hydraulic valves with a pint to the oil change. If the lifter is worn or damaged it ain't gonna fix it, but if it's just crud it will.

12. retromotors

retromotors

Good for coughs and colds
    And sore assholes
    And makes childbirth a pleasure! :D

13. I remember back in the day my Dad had Chrysler's with 331's and it had noisy lifters and he'd always add a can of Bardhal. Seemed to work. I guess it was the MMO of the time.

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I think you're WAAAAYYY overthinking this. Other than water, you can put just about anything in a V8 chevy's crankcase and they'll run just fine.

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

i run a hotrod and custom bike shop and i dont have time to work on my own stuff. so when our 99 tahoa started to peck and it was loud we changed oil and used lucas. now we use it at every oil change and we havent heard it since.i drove this thing about 200 miles before i first put in the lucas and it was steadly getting louder.that was about 8000 miles ago. and shifty is right, over thinkin!

16. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

By the way, the issue...I have a very light lifter tap that I want to try and quiet

hey,i'm not tryin' to be a wise-ass but have you tried putting a 1/2turn on the offending rocker nut?
    BTW i use MMO cause it reminds me of Dad !

Attached Files:

17. I bought a GTO that a guy used that in and it blew up. When I took the motor apart that stuff had gummed up so much it stuck to everything like wax. I wouldn't use it.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can also put it on dryer sheets.

19. My buddy thinks it is what just killed his motor too. I can't say until we tear into it.

20. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

When i was drag Racing, If motor was going to set more than 2 weeks i would spray M M O in each cyl. worked great

21. Diavolo

Diavolo

Use good oil and a zinc additive if you are running non-rollers. I suppose there was a time where you needed a solvent in your oil, but I can't imagine it. Change your oil at decent intervals (3k for my cars, 10k on mobil 1, 2.5k on my bikes with full synthetic) and use a decent pcv system and you should have no issues.

I pulled my old chevy apart years ago after 150k on the ticker for a rebuild/hop up. Ran pennzoil 10-40 all that time (everybody knows how bad it gunks up your engine, right?) Perfectly clean, no sludge except for a tiny amount at the edges of the lifter galley. Only rebuilt it because I was putting in a new cam and wanted higher c.r. so I figured it was time for a rebuild. Only mystery oil I used was the yellow bottle and 3k mile oil changes.

22. Payaso

Payaso

I appreciate everyones advice...as far as anything being damaged...we'll see when I replace the lifters...I'm not a 'Wait till you have to" kind of guy, but I'm also not into tearing my daily driver apart in the hopes of finding the culprit sound...and still not finding it? I'll try the MMO and see what it can do...like I said...one of my 26 year veteran mechanic associates put his head under the hood...looked at me and said, "Are you serious?"..."Drive the damn thing"...So Yes, I am over thinking it! My Ole' Man always tells me stories about how even the New cars & trucks of the 50's and 60's made sounds and needed a "top off" of the oil every now and then when gas'n up (Think Mayberry episodes-"You're down half a quart Sheriff, like me to top it off?")...So...I started checking my oil weekly when I got into driving a classic daily...and my buddies who drive Jettas and Civics think I'm crazy...I tell them it's part of being into traditional hot rodding...you actually OWN your car/truck...not just drive it and drop it off at the Stealership when the little sticker on the inside of your windshield tells you to.

Anyhow...I'll add a few ounces and see how that goes...Thanks again everyone!!

23. Like an old dude told me one time when I got a kick to use Slick 50 in my truck motor. He said "it won't help anything, but it won't hurt anything so if it makes you feel better go for it" !!

24. Lucas Oil Additive, it works.

25. Ive only used it on motors that sat along time and needed to be brole loose,seemed to work for that..........

26. Payaso

Payaso

So...I put the MMO in...8 ounces...and the appropriate amount of 10w30...Started it up...drove around...daily...for a week now...and the damn noise is still there!!! WHAT THE F*@#$!! (Calming down)

So then I stopped by to see a buddy of mine...we got to talking motors...cars...looking forward to Billetproof already...when the "sound" comes up? We went over to the truck, fired it up, and there it was! He pulled out a $20 bill, folded it in half, and started rubbing his hand against the side of the valve cover on the offending side. He stopped...chuckled, and said, "Your valve cover shifted...it's rubbing against the rockers...just replace the gaskets and move the cover to the high side before sinching the bolts down."

WHAT!!! WTF!!! Are you kidding me!!! Why in the HELL did I not think of that!!! Could it be that simple?

Well...I am too excited to report...that after replacing the gasket...on a Hot ass motor...I could'nt wait for it to cool down...the SOUND IS GONE!!! When I pulled the cover there were evenly spaced "half-a-eraser" head rub marks on the inside of the cover...no damage to the rockers...etc. Checked everything! Replaced the gasket...held tension to the one side, tightened them down, and TADA!!! No Noise!!!

I'm flying right now!!! I'll button everything up tomorrow morning...fire it up and check it again...but I think it's gone!! Finally!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

One could take a pint of kerosene/brake fluid/tranny fluid/steering fluid and put in at every oil change with, I think, maybe, probably, no ill effects. I think, maybe, I'll keep on using motor oil in my motors and use MMO as a penetrating oil.

28. Payaso

Payaso

Interesting idea...however, it does not mention the usage of MMO as a penetrating oil? I'd becareful with what you choose to penetrate with MMO? There may be no ill effects, but it's usage, per the manufacturer, is for internal combustion motors. I'm going to use MMO in my motors as an occasional treatment, with motor oil, and use WD40 as a penetrating oil.

HA...Just messing you man...I'm not a snake oil guy either...but I gave it a shot and ended up not even needing it!!

29. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

He, he, , I've found it works good as a penetrating oil, then after it sits a while it also gums up on the surface and acts as a rust prevent.............:D

It's also a great seller at swap meets, 'vintage' in a can. (comes in plastic now). At garage sales I can get a can with some still left in it for a quarter, sell at swap for two bucks. .:cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  30. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

WD-40's not a penetrating oil... It's a water dis-placer :)