Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lanny Ericson 56 Chevy arived today (Restoration Thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Jul 25, 2009.

1. FYI...Lanny told me this car received the first ever "Winfield Fade." I thought that was too kool. Maybe 235 can elaborate, but from what I remember, Lanny was talking to Gene and asked if he could paint it this certain way and that's what started the whole process.

Reverend Jake

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool!! Thanks for the update I was wondering about the progress the other day....

3. mikes51

mikes51

Thanks for the updates. I notice the new lip on the hood matches the angle of the bumper and not the angle of the hood. That's great attention to detail.

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

After seeing this thread it makes me want to kustmize my 56.Nice car.

5. Slide

Slide

Wow... I get slack on checking the HAMB and this shows up? I so need to get out to Canton to see this... one of my favorite customs of all time!

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great thread this car is a beauty , hope for more updates as work progresses

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I think a cool justure would be to send Rikster a copy of one of the pics signed by Lanny for all he does for Kustom history and restoration!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work- I'd love a kustom '56 someday. This one is one of my favorites! You guys are Rulers!

9. eddiescustoms

eddiescustoms

Love to see the old customs being saved instead of lost and crushed...good luck with the resto

10. cowoc58

cowoc58

Whats the latest on this 56?

11. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

This Build had so many phenomenal things done to it. All this cool custom stuff, way back in the day.
    Modern day customs are so passé compared to this ’56 build.
    Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fifty years ago!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!
    Little stuff like shaving door handles back in 1958…. I had no idea.

I bet you’re having fun on this one!
    Enjoy yourself,
    56Chevy4Dr

12. Cruiser

Cruiser

THE235KID<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4156189", true); </SCRIPT> - What a great story glad Larry found the cool custom and it'll be back in all it's glory soon. Tell me I'm wrong or is it just me the back light looks like it was installed a little bit too high. Just wondering. :D

CRUISER :cool:

13. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Are you kidding ? :confused:

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

No shit, this sucks!
    I bet is a money issue considering times, i just hope is
    not a health problem.....:(....fill us in.

15. Any parting photos for the archive? Too bad you guys won't be able to see the final product on this one as well...

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I was at Mercury Charlie's this weekend for a Gene Winfield workshop and saw Lanny Ericson and his 56 Chevy there in Austin, TX. Charlie has the car in his shop but I have no details on whether or what he will be doing on the car. Lanny said that he recently installed a SBC crate engine and that the car is running. I did not take any pictures of the car but outside surface appears to be ready for paint while the interior and glass are still not installed. Getting to speak with Gene and Lanny in the same room about this car was interesting...there's a lot more to this story than you have read in this thread but it's not my place to talk out of school. I'll have to admit that had I known more about the car before this weekend I would have asked a lot more questions and taken a lot more pics.

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Love this car....any other updates??? PLEEEASE

18. JJK

JJK

Heres the car at Charlies,
    [​IMG]

Heres the original car about 4 years ago,
    [​IMG]

Heres the car in back in the day,
    [​IMG]

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bummer,hope it gets finished

20. hvychvy

hvychvy

I loved checking out the car at Charlies!! I just wish I'd known more about it when I saw it.I had no Idea it had so much history,loved the merc rear glass treatment.I didn't realize 56's could make such a kool kustom!!

21. glassguy

glassguy

i just found this thread.. damn iwish it was having a happier ending!

22. buckd

buckd

Lanny went with me to GNRS last month and from what I saw of the car when we picked him up, it was far from ready for paint and whoever worked on it last destroyed most of Lanny's original body work, mismatched body lines below the rear window, flimsy brackets made to replace proper ones that Lanny handmade and the car was covered with an eighth inch of unblocked highbuild primer. Lanny can't do anymore to the car until things are settled. It's a tragedy that this historic custom
    wasn't finished for the Roadster Show. Gene is ready to paint the car as it was done originally but somebody has to own up to how 400 hours of labor left the car in the condition it was in when we saw it in Lanny's shop last month.

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

wow!thats a bummer

24. Smokey2

Smokey2

FANTASTIC Post........
    I Know, by having two (Longtime!) friends get BACK!, Cars that had been built in tha' 1950's

Both cars , that I have spent time in, during the late '50 s, and early '60 s.........One, is 1940 Ford Ragtop, channeled, sectioned, and chopped.....with Carson style , removable Top! This was when they Hammer Welded and Leaded thier work!!
    Congradulations!
    Smoke' ON THA' MOUNTAINS

25. Tin Can

Tin Can

WOW, first time finding this thread.

26. smoothie51

smoothie51

buckd and I picked up Lanny on our way to the GNRS last month. I had not seen the car since 2005 when I was at my high school reunion in Lubbock TX and went to see Lanny in Littlefield (about 25 miles); when I saw it, it looked like the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> photo in JJK&#8217;s earlier post.

<o:p> </o:p>
    I first saw Lanny&#8217;s car in 1957 and literally stopped in my tracks &#8230; this was a California custom I had only seen in magazines. However, what I saw when we picked up Lanny last month was extremely disappointing considering his plans to have the car finished and shown at the GNRS.

<o:p> </o:p>
    I have known Lanny for over 50 years and he was overjoyed when he got Violet Fantasy back. He fully intended to finish all body work and prep work and have it ready for Gene to spray in time for the 2010 GNRS. However, he began having problems with his eyesight a couple of years ago, and took it to Hatfield for all work remaining prior to shooting the paint. WHAT WE SAW LAST MONTH IS A TRAVESTY. I only hope that whatever issues stand in the way of completing the Violet Fantasy will be resolved soon, so that it can be restored to its former glory.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  27. the other me

the other me

Damn man...this is sad.

28. madwagon56

madwagon56

wow it makes me sad to hear things like this, wish you the best and i hope the car gets done correctly. a true part of history!!!!!!!!

29. Rusty

Rusty

Dont know the owner or the previous work that had been done to the car, or the work that has been done lately but i can honestly say that whatever Hatfields done to it was top notch, that crew is steadily turning out great work!

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Due to legal issues, this one is closed for the time being.