Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Sunday Sunday Sunday, A day at the drags- Yellow Belly Dragstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Rusty

Rusty

Well the day started with playing catch up on customers car, I had to move a couple cars around to get the car I was working on to the lift. One being the 48 Anglia of my dads. It has been crippled from the detination of the clutch at the the dotd a couple weeks ago and some new gears until this weekend. I pulled it out and took a look of it and Said that baby need to make some passses today.

I took a quik snap of it outside and sent a text to my dad how the Anglia was begging for more testing and tuning, he replied back lets go to Yellow Belly.

[​IMG]

He had to take Danyelle to the movies first, so I kept working, It was around 3pm he showed up and said let go, I tried to talk him into two of the local tracks but he insisted on Yellow Belly.

So we loaded up and started making the 40 minute drive over

[​IMG]

We rolled in the gates and the ladies taking the money were freaking out, It had been years since a Anglia had run there

[​IMG]

We were greated in the pits by a crowd swarming over the anglia! We definatelly stood out as far as nostagia was concerned.

[​IMG]

Got teched in and rolled to the lanes

[​IMG]

Here some shots from the runs, We wanted to get some base line numbers with the new gears before dismounting the street tires and getting the slicks on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This track is awesome, we were treated very nice by all there. they were very happy to have us. this place is older than dirt, I thought Little River was my favorite but I got a new one now, tall trees line the pits, covered stands, plenty of seating, great food, and some pretty fast cars. Dont know how long the actuall shut down area is but running 1/8 mile passes you can very easily shut down. It was cool to get to make a couple passes in the Anglia knowing my dad, and granpa have made so many passes at that track.

It was plain cool, spur of the moment on out parts, and another great time with My Pops and Danyelle

Rusty

2. Your car is lookin' good. That is a cool old drag strip. I haven't been there in ten years or more but I can tell you that track has a lot of history, not all of it good. Since your Dad and Granpa have run there a lot you've probably heard some of the stories. One thing that I can tell you for sure is that the last time I was there it was a lot safer on the track than in the stands. At that time it was common to bet on the outcome of a race and to drink heavily while doing it. You can imagine how that turned out sometimes. Add poor lighting in the pits and stands and it made the experience shakey at best. Anyway, it is good to see that another old Texas strip is still open and it looks like it is in good shape.

3. Rusty

Rusty

It was a good time and was a good environment

We had no problems at all

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  4. Dirty2

Dirty2

What a fun time !!! And to see all the old timers there , all I can say is WOW ! We will prob be there next Sunday also if anyone else wants to show up .

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

Left front up on street tires and I red lite !

Attached Files:

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

serves you right for putting up that avatar and failing to invite me!

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

Sweet...if i didnt have 2 soccer games next Sunday I would come out and watch. See ya Sat at PNP

8. Rusty

Rusty

still on a yellow belly high

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Sweet....wish I could have been there

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

Cant wait till next Sunday ! Slicks will be on then .

11. Where in the hell is Yellow Belly anyway. I know we ran there at least once waaaaaayyyyy back when, but I can't rememebr where it is other than somewhere around DFW area.

Can you give me a contact name & number?

12. falfas55

falfas55

Glad you guys had a good time. Maybe i'll come out sometime there myself with you. See you at pnp. sat.

13. Rusty

Rusty

Lucky it was awesome, See you at PNP also

14. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

http://www.yellobellydragstrip.net/

15. Rusty

Rusty

We been trying to put on a nostagic event for the last year, Been reall busy and slacked off from the thought, I would like to plan a upcoming Sunday for alot of the old style stuff to come out and let her see what we are all about, SHe has seen the same stuff for so long and dont really understand what we are all about.

I am thinkin something alond the March or May time frame

what do yall think?

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Make sure to call me I can drive down and make a few passes.

17. Rusty

Rusty

awesome, I aint gonna make it back this Sunday because I already promised to take the kiddos to see the Monster Trucks, Pops got the slicks mounted today so he is ready

18. yep...it's our little hole in the wall track here in West Dallas at the border with Grand Prarie...my friends running the Texas Muscle Car Challenge showed up there to run and it was great...lots has changed...this little area once had the Sportsdome dit track next door - with the Studebaker on top of the sign and no less than two or three dirt tracks on a street over - Jefferson...it's where the wrecking yards now are....

19. Dirty2

Dirty2

They would totally freak if you showed up there !

20. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

does it still have the stop light "tree" ?? last i heard if you go there to a knife and gun fight --- a drag race might break out!!

21. Rusty

Rusty

drag racing is what its all about, we will be renting the track so i am sure we will be the majority on that very day, we have been there 2 previous times. 1 to spectate and 1 to race, with zero problems,

22. sololobo

sololobo

R-2, laughed myself silly over the avatar!! What a riot!! ~Sololobo~

23. I've gotta friend who races a honda there... he says it can get a little scary with the "thugish" crowd.

24. Rusty

Rusty

dont want this to become a bad post since we are trying to get a event scheduled, true nostalgia track, plenty of shade, hosted during the day, our crowd, should be no problems, there have been problems in the past but none of lately

25. Don't worry you can borrow my frog..

Attached Files:

26. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Dude, iv'e always wanted to visit that track! I've heard some crazy and VIOLENT stories about that place. Is it still shady? Was it ever? Not the track or owner but the crowd? Word on the streets is you dont want to leave your trailer open or tools unlocked when you're making a pass at night...

27. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Dam I need to learn how to photo shop.:D Looks like fun!

28. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts. I guess it's better.

29. very cool...your Dad's Anglia is awesome

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's been a few years since I've been, and it was a little scary back then. :D A guy hauled a HUGE turtle out of that pond and started cutting it up to make soup! But I'll head out there. Hell it's even pretty close to the house and I have a few friends that go every weekend. Just let me know when.

What did the hoopty run? ;)