Register now to get rid of these ads!

things have changed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onlychevrolets, Nov 4, 2009.

1. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

How about hand painted signs. Not only in department store windows but everywhere advertising everything. Not anymore. Now there are vinyl signs everwhere you look. Even in the neighbors yard.

2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Coke used to come out a paint a sign on the side of your building with their LOGO...

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah,the 50's the good old days..........Polio scares in the summer and then hearing about a friend in an iron lung. If ya cut off a few fingers or a hand with a saw,no worries about sewing em on,toss em away.Heart attack at 50 years old? Pop a few nitro pills and wait for the big one,no bypass surgury.Girls with too much clothes on ... And no sex and swearing on TV or even in the movies,what's with that! And local cops beat the shit outta ya just cause they could.Bad brakes,shitty handling and engines wore out at 80,000 miles.
    And there were dishonest people back when,it ain't nothing new.Fuck the good old day,I like it now............But we do need to lose about 100 million people and them fucking loud boom boxes in cars today..........

4. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I get tired of listening to other peoples music also.

5. Especially if there was a chick wearing a short skirt driving the car, :p
    Peace,,,Moosie

6. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

How about the postman taking your mail, putting the flag down and leaving the new mail in the box? Not long ago a month or two our postman put the new mail on top of the out going and left the flag up. Lazy I reckon. How about people using stamps? Writing a letter?

7. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Oh, yeah, I forgot. My pop used to send me over to the gas station to pick up a pack of pall malls for him when I was like 8. I'd get a candy bar 'cause they were 4/$1 and and a soda, and he'd get smokes for $1.20

8. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Or turning your pepsi and coke bottles in and taking the change and buying some fireballs.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

the postman,actually a woman, is pretty good at that and will even drive down our long muddy driveway to drop off something that won't fit in the mailbox.Two miles away is a small wheel alignment and tire shop.Old well maintained equipment,the two owners even talk to you like you're more than just a wallet.

10. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Lucky you is all I can say. I swear the mail man reads my mags before I get them.

11. Small bottles were worth 2 cents, big quart one 5 cents, we used the money to buy new nails so we could build our soap box racers outta wooden milk crates and a 2X4 and old roller skates, we got tired of hammering the old nails straight, those were the days. Peace,,,Moosie:D

12. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Alright how about streetlights? Didn't have any for a long time and then like overnight they were everywhere.

13. Muttley

Muttley

That really irks me too, I make it a point to reply with "Merry Christmas" when someone wishes me "Happy Holidays".

14. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I agree Christmas is Christmas not just some holiday kids get out of school for.

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

You better watch it, Young Man!!!!:D

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

hahaha...you sock guys are always a fun bunch.

17. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Why is it we need a tree for every holiday? Easter tree? Halloween tree? Come on.

18. slepe67

slepe67

haha, my mom did that to me. The lady at ye old Maverick Super Store (aka dive gas station) would ask me for a note from my mom, saying it was ok for me to buy them. I think I was about 7 at the time. The first time, I literally rode my bicycle 2 miles, only to have her tell me she needed a note, ride back, get note, ride back, hand over note, get smokes, ride back. Take nap. hahah

The only real thing I miss is the cost of the new vehicles "back then" (1970's). E.g. My dad made around, oh, say $30,000 a year. His BRAND NEW 1976 F-150 4x4(which I still have) cost him $3700 in 1976. The new paint job is going to cost more than I paid for the truck. I make about twice that, and the new F-150 I jsut bought...well, you know what I mean....

19. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

How about an oil pit? When's the last time you saw one of those?

20. zzford

zzford

I miss seeing my feet when standing up.

21. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Cigarette vending machines.

Punch boards and the cheesy prizes you could win (can't have too many fake bronze horses with the clock in the belly!)

Mom ordering school clothes out of the Sears or Monkey Wards catalogs.

Penny candy at the neighborhood corner store.

Beverage cans that required an opener.

Those weird white plastic wheel trim rings that were optional on Chryslers and DeSotos during the Korean War because whitewall tires weren't available (Man, I am getting old.....)

22. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Remember those x-ray machines that looked at your feet in shoes? Wash and wear pants. Levis were $6.75 and Lees were $4.75. Guess what I got to wear. Suits that were actually fitted to you and shirts made to measure. Shirts from Sero, Gant, Holbrook and Creighton. Bass wegins. Top coats. Parkas. Guess you can figure I grew up around the clothing business.

23. Tail gunner. We had a 66 Buick wagon with the Vista glass in the roof. Like the top turrent gunner in a B-17 on "12 o'clock High".

24. My neighbor has one in his garage!:eek: He wants to fill it in.

25. -Chet and David.
    -Captain Kangaroo not some goofy purple dinosaur.
    -Cartoon where characters got blown up n stuff chopped up but no blood.
    -The Day the Earth Stood Still on Monday Night at the Movies on NBC.
    -Soupy Sales
    -Sky King

26. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

guess thats why your avatar is wearing a suit

27. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Bryan its a good thing we didn't meet in downtown Dallas on Halloween or we would have talked about this all weekend. As the Statler Bros. said " What ever happened to Randolph Scott " and " the Class of 57 had its Dreams " Don't any of you old Farts fall out of your rocking chair. BTW,, its Peanuts in a Pepsi and a RC with a Moonpie.

28. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

how about the HELMS bakery truck blowing his air horn and you would run out for a doughnut from the longest drawer in the world

29. Or the Saturday Morning Radio Program with the Ol Road Hog.
    Johnny Horton & Jimmy Dean songs(before sausage)

30. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Ok, I'll get back in the corner. Oh that's right they don't do that anymore either ,do they?