Register now to get rid of these ads!

things have changed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onlychevrolets, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Anyone got a picture of that? I've seen a lot of wacky, home-made looking pickup truck rear bumpers, but I've never seen one with the dealer name stamped into it. I don't think I've ever seen a 67-72 Chevy truck with a rear bumper on it that looked "factory", I've always wondered why that is.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And racism was rampant..........whoops.

3. DrJ

DrJ

Listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio.
    17¢ McDonald's hamburgers and it wasn't called McD.
    "White Gas" for cleaning parts and firing the Coleman stove to melt lead for fishing sinkers and casting muzzle loader ammo.
    Dripping oil was "normal" for cars since that's what the draft tube did and seals needed to "seep" to keep from self destructing.
    All the "My car doesn't leak a drop" stuff started when the first batch of "Five year or fifty thousand mile guarantee" Mopar cars hit 49,000 miles and the owners ran them all back to the dealerships to get all the leaking seals and gaskets replaced on warranty for bragging rights to all the Ford and Chevy owners :rolleyes:
    Of course, 3,001 miles later they were all leaking again...

4. That is good news indeed!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they are the ones who speak english without an accent.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That is a very ignorant statement. :mad:

Unless you are a full blooded native american you are full of shit.

Especially in California. The Spaniards and Mexicans were there long before whitey.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most people's great-grandparents spoke with an accent....dummy.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, onlychevrolets! What better place than here, where most of us love the "old' stuff...it's not just the cars. Most of you guys posting came up with some great stuff...really made me laugh...thanks for sparking some memories! ----- Hey Gigantor, you said it about different smells bringing back memories! ----- Hey Licenced to kill, those "noisy vent-windows" were quieter than opening a modern window an inch, and they allowed you to actually flick your cigarette without it comin' back in!----------------

Penny candy actually cost a penny. Wait...there's no such thing anymore! - Rick

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

F & S beer

3 quarts for a dollar :)

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Meh, everything is shaved today. Doors are fine, for other things not so much.

11. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA.....................Beep was country when country wasnt cool.

12. SlamIam

SlamIam

I like my vent windows! Full open they clean the cab right out. When they play a tune I recognize, I whistle along with them.

Milk on the doorstep in the morning. Paper boys. Hand-cranked ice cream on Sundays. Everybody in town at the Friday night ballgame. 3 channels of TV with something worth watching.

Steam engines at the Depot. Sneaking out at night to visit hobos camped under the trestle. Kid camping on islands in the river. Walking around town with my .22 and getting friendly waves.

Going across town to my great-grandfather's farm when I couldn't stand my parents any longer. Sitting on the porch on summer nights - no AC.

Using the rack at the corner gas station after hours for free.

Cruising main every night to see friends, talk cars and meet girls.

Sweet sixties girls that were exactly what they appeared to be.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

certain smells knock me into another time and place
    I found a jar of L&B Butch Wax on Ebay and one whiff takes me back to 1962 when I used that stuff on my flat top...
    [​IMG]

other smells that transport me to my past:
    Christmas trees
    Jack o' Lanterns the day after Halloween
    nitro (duh)
    crayons
    eucalyptus trees
    coffee grounds
    ditto paper (the test papers passed out in elementary school with the purple ink...from a mimeograph machine) I have no idea what the chemical was and I doubt I'll ever smell it again.

14. sundance

sundance
    from minnesota

metal ice cube trays with release levers
    rollar skate keys
    winger washing machines
    reel to reel tape players
    gum wrapper chains
    burma shave hiway signs
    camera flash bulbs
    fire escape tubes

15. r8odecay

r8odecay

Hey neighbor! I got thumped on a thread here by a texan claiming peanuts in Pepsi, I was told it was Tom's peanuts in Dublin DR PEPPER only!

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used the butch wax in the push up tube for my flat tops.
    I knocked it off the back of the toilet just as I flushed the toilet and you know what happened. My dad had to pull it up to get it out. It slipped and broke the bowl. Only one toilet in the house of 3. It took a while for him to get over that one.

17. r8odecay

Re: things have changed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Randaddy
    Dealers had 1/25 scale promotional cars that they would give with the purchase of a new car..... Then they sold them.... Now they aren't around.

FYI in these parts ( Oklahoma & Texas ) the peanuts went into Pepsi, not Coke and they were in embossed glass bottles with cork lined caps.

Hey neighbor! I got thumped on a thread here by a texan claiming peanuts in Pepsi, I was told it was Tom's peanuts in Dublin DR PEPPER only!

I grew up in the OKC area, so been here since 1946. I don't ever remember Anyone, putting peanuts in Dr. Pepper, but, in Texas they raise Texans, so who knows what went on down there, especially around Waco. I put peanuts in a coke about a year ago, just not the same.

18. How about, "Parents, its 9 o'clock. Do you know where your children are?"

JOE:cool:

PS~ True Americans are the ones who like hairy pussy.

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

how about ..... "no tv" only radio ! ......... steve

20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think those bumpers were a regional thing. I grew up in the Midwest in the 60's and don't ever remember seeing one of these as a kid. Then I was in the South in the 80's and saw them everywhere.

21. Diavolo

Diavolo

I have this thing called a "cell phone". I can take pictures, listen to music, plot a course with the gps, measure sound with the decibel meter and level a picture frame with the 'bubble gauge'. I remember when I could talk in one end of a telephone and someone on the other end could hear what I was saying...

I still use Brylcreem (a little dab will do ya!) and the smell of Vick's still makes me cringe in fear.

22. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

How about when you could say "Rat" in a group of hotrodders and everyone didn't jump your shit.

lol

Talkin' about BBC's...

23. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

lol... growing up in Central Texas, that's all you still see on 60's trucks up through the early 80's trucks.

And everyone would snicker if they saw someone with a "Draeger Ford - Georgetown, TX" bumper because they were known to get top dollar on everything they sold. Pretty much you'd get ripped off. I worked there for 1 week before they were bought out by a newer Ford dealer haha...

-Chris

24. junk fiend

junk fiend

shit you guys are so lucky. it feels like i cant do anything i like. you go to ride a pitbike in a dirt lot off the freeway the cops come. you go to some BMX jumps the cops come and kick you out and bull doze all the jumps. take your bike in a skate park you get a ticket. you can barely ride a dirt bike out in the desert because so much of it is closed.

what about slot car tracks everywhere in the 60s theres like 2 in socal now.

25. Chris, what you tryin to stir up? :D

26. Beta

Beta
    from Central WI

Getting a choice between "Regular" and "Ethyl" from the filling station guy wearing a bow tie.

27. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Hmmm, now if you were living in a big city 50 or 60 years ago; say Pittsburgh where I grew up, you'd be hearing people talking in Polish, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Ukranian, German, Greek, Russian, Yiddish, Czech, Slovak, Irish brogue, and all the accents thereof. And the "true-blue Americans" would look at them in disgust and say the country's going down the toilet from all these "foreigners". And no, you didn't have to speak English to get a job and find a place there; my great-grandmother never learned it.

That's why I take these little nostalgia trips with a grain of salt. Nothing really changes; it just looks different. For example, who knew the right wing would go back to red-baiting, twenty years after Communism died; having exhausted itself on the battlefields of Afghanistan (uh-oh!!)?

If the SF Bay area is a little too modern and diverse for your tastes, well there's plenty of places in 'Murrca still stuck in the 19th century that might suit you better. ;)

28. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

lol

29. zzford

zzford

Men had tatoos and women wore earrings.

30. getting pulled over for excessive acceleration the first few times and the cop( .. the next door neighbor ) would tell me to" slow down and go home and park it for a while.. or i will tell yer folks " i went home cooled it fer a while later on and picked up two of his sons and continued raising hell ..
    he did tell my folks but without a citation i was not in trouble ... til later on ..when i was really deserving it .. lesson not learned i guess i had my get outa jail free cards used up