Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects RHD '32 5W Build Thread: Pics...ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Wow, thats a real nice body there. Wish my 33 started out that good!
    Love the sound of the nailhead, I was going to use a 322 in my coupe but the caddy was already in it.
    The wheels will look spot on!

For some 60's inspiration click my car link below :)

2. The larger flat 4 1/2" and 7" discs used on 4 1/2" and 7" angle grinders that run at 7000 RPM and 5000 RPM respectively work much, much faster (at least 10 times faster) than the drill mounted discs that turn at under 1000 RPM. Those are best used for small areas inside corners and other nooks and crannys where you can't control a higher RPM grinder.

Here is some info on the ones that really work the best:

Eastwood sells these stripper discs:

http://search.eastwood.com/search?as...ustom&x=6&y=10

If your Makita has the 5/8" X 11 shaft, order the disc that will screw right on to it, like this: http://www.eastwood.com/4-1-2-cleani...sc-system.html

If it is the 10 MM shaft, order the disc with the correct size hole for your shaft/collar/nut like this: http://www.eastwood.com/poly-x-paint...cup-style.html

Look for the Norton Abrasives Rapid Strip brand at welding supply stores or auto body supply stores. I have even bought them at Sears in the tool department. These all have the cast center hub with 5/8" X 11 threads:

4 1/2" Rapid Strip Disc part #04015 $6.50 ea.
    7" Rapid Strip Disc part #04013 $10.00 ea.
    I got both from a local welders supply store thats owned by Valley National Gases. http://www.vngas.com/products.htm They were way cheaper than anyone else that sold them in my area.

I like the Norton stuff the best, it seems to last longer and strip better. I have found some good deals by shopping around like the ones I listed above.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Vintage' and Drewfus, what a jaw dropper that one is!

Dave...cool McCool [​IMG]

4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I've accumulated two hoods with sides and two complete grilles.

I call this shot...

Two Hoods On Grass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How cool is this?...The louvres had to be "massaged" so the hemi could fit.

[​IMG]

My only "dilemma" now is how do I strip the paint of these two perfect old hoods? I love the blue one with it's 70s flavour and the black on...I don't think I need to explain around here how cool it is just as it is. The problem for (someone like) me is how do I balance starting off with good steel with destroying history.

I mean...have a look at the underside of the black one...

[​IMG]

I saw this cool "proof of use" and thought (call me crazy)..."how cool is this?". I can't strip this away. I know it's just old grime but...I don't know.

The blue one is the same. It's too cool. Or am I just getting a little too carried away? What do you think?

5. Refinish the one that you like the least, patina wise. Or buy a repop! But what I want to know is how you are managing to find all this neat old Deuce stuff in Adelaide, South Australia!! That's got to be tough!! It's pretty hard to find that stuff over here as it is. Keep up the good work!

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

No repops for me on this build. I want everything to be old. I was even considering painting the car metallic blue to match the "hemi" hood but the hood would look too scratched up so I think it's going to be the one to be used. The black one would be too good to use on anything other than a black super trad car.

I'll probably go with the blue car and get a pin striper to put the start somewhere else as a tribute. Possibly the firewall.

Not much of this is coming locally but I have a lot of time to spare and am very good at researching on the internet so I find things, contact owners, make an offer, strike a deal and presto it's x-mas again as the delivery man arrives.

7. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Took the two grille shells out for some sun as well. I think the filled shell would probably go with the blue hood and the full jewelery shell will probably go with the stock black hood. If you have an opinion I'd like to hear it.

I've been stripping paint off this weekend and am up to the cowl. Enjoying every second of this build. The best part? I read hot rod magazines, get inspired and run out to my own garage to work on my own 32 coupe. I've waited many years for this.

Anyway that's probably obvious so here's some pics to finish off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Does anyone have any ideas on why my door handles are 3 window style?

9. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Here are some more pics.

The question is...

Why are my 32 Ford 5 window door handles placed in door panel and not on the bead as all other 5 windows seem to be? This is the standard location at the front of the door for a 3 window coupe suicide door - from what I understand.

Where some 5 windows made like this? The close up of the sheetmetal reveals som small pock marks that might be welding but if it is they did a pretty good job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  10. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

11. rexrogers

rexrogers

The door handle location looks like it was filled in a new skin or a nice patch at least the five window well all closed cars their is a raised and depression area for the handle. the other hole looks to be drilled out not factory ford no D nuts to hold in the handle or added inner brace. If the stock door latches are in and un modified then the handle location will be to low.

Rex

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks for that Rex'.

The doors open and close beautifully with nice clicks. What ever was done works very well and the body work on this car is much better than I thought. Hammer welding is perfect, patches are perfect, I'm 3/4 the way around the car (stripping paint off) and have not come across one skerik of bog (filler).

Just another thing that makes this car unique I guess. I'm happy to leave them as they are. The seller told me that he thought they might have been doing a 34 Ford conversion because the mechanisms were better. Apparently that's "what they did to fix the poor 32 mechanism.

Whatever they did. It works great. Inside and on the door jamb it all looks factory so who knows what the history to these doors are. It's a Mexican car and was used at a reception center (old castle) in Mexico City to drive the young débutantes to the main hall from the car park below. I think that was this car's saving grace because all work seems to have been done by skilled tradesmen.

13. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks for the info I have been following this project it really looks like a great car.
    Rex
    If i rember corectly there was a 32 five window from mexico that was built with a big back window for the road race down there.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  14. Yeah, Like THIS tasty black ride !!

Mind you, ive always loved Jeerry Duncans purple 5W with red flaked interior. This car turned me onto traditional rods and flathead back in 1988 when I saw it on the cover of the December (i think) issue of American Rodder !!

Whatever you do with it, keep the progress pix coming, and dont let the rego asswipes rain on your parade !

Rat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Update:

My Stewart Warner "Wings" Mechanical Tach arrived today and it's a thing of true beauty. I really like this "Wings" style of gauge. It's not era perfect for my 1964 build but it looks purposeful and that big white needle is impressive.

[​IMG]

On the back is piece of tape wrapped around the drive "shaft housing" that happens to be my 1st birthday (if you read it the way we write dates here in Australia anyway). Of course, the way it is written up in your half is January 10 1965. Not sure what that means but it's cool to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The S number seems to indicate 1949. This style of gauge is mentioned on the Roadsters.com SW web-page here --> http://www.roadsters.com/sw/#wings

I've decided to go with a Roto-Faze distributor for the Nailhead (thanks to Russ' advice) which will incorporate a mech tach drive.

16. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Cool stuff Bill.

Nothing like the feeling of parts arriving for your build.........

HC.

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I got a PM today telling me that this speedo is not authentic. Something is just not right.

[​IMG]

I emailed the seller and this is his best guess..

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  18. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Geeez......

What's going on there?

No idea about gauges but interesting.

HC.

19. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Gauges have been sorted. It's a replica with graphics missing. I'll use it until I find a real one or don't care anymore.

Scored these cool headlights which turned that frown upside down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Today was a good day!

My 25 Louvre V8 hood arrived safe and sound after it's journey across the ocean. I guess that solves the which-hood-to-use problem.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  21. lorodz

lorodz

great looking parts...

22. Yeah, cover up those GM mills :)

23. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Well, you know what they say; "Two Heads are better than one."

I'll have Nailhead and Flathead. Neither deserve to be covered up but a hood.

I'm not a huge fan of having a hood (for my car) because I like to show a motor. People never see that these days and it's shocking and I like to see the engine. I used to own a 3 window 34 (don't ask) and was surprised at how little of the engine I could see with just a 4 barrel intake. I thought I'd be able to see much more of the engine. But anyhow, I like flames which makes me like hoods again. Maybe I'll use it as a choice. Hood on, hood off.

24. your right on the money swifty go the show look

25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I was thinking more like something that would have been driven to and parked in the carpark at a show or the drags. The owner would have been influenced by performance and show cars but not be a shower or racer.

Bit of a lull in the proceedings while I wait for my new chassis and Nailhead to be built and delivered but unless I can get the chassis to sit 4 inches off the ground at the B Pillar I'm thinking that an unchopped coupe is not really me.

I've even been asking around to see if I can swap it for a chopped body so we can keep this original but not having any luck as yet. I'm actually really looking forward to the whole operation.

26. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

32ford5,

i am 6'2" and have an unchopped 32.' i am running low profile buckets and my head still comes to about an inch from the top. My two cents are leave it unchopped, and at least drive it a while before deciding. I would focus on chassis stance before chop!

Looks like an awesome body and i like your 60's ideas and direction! Keep posting those pics.

27. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks 32'

28. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia