Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted bumpers and Grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FIFTY2, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Painted bumpers are awful, I know, I had them on my Chevy when that was all I could afford.

2. What he said..........

3. sinks88

sinks88

I hear that! There is no doubt to that point, but what I get tired of reading is the people who instead of offering opinions will rip the owner/person apart....Ive seen it many times where a person just want a objective opinion, then it turns to "why would you do that" "that looks like shit" kind of gig...thats all I'm saying...sometimes its good venue and others not so much...esp. painting over chrome, thats a can of worms on the HAMB

4. Have you considered a satin silver? I saw a couple at the Hunnert that looked pretty good.
    It's your ride and you gotta do what makes you happy. Personally I think the dark is too much contrast and draws your eye to the bumper and trim. Silver would be more subtle and might let the car get the attention.
    Overall, I like what you have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. 61TBird

61TBird

6. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Here's what I would do in this order...

1. no bumpers/grill until you can get chrome

2. rattle can chrome

3. If your stuck with what you now have... the bumpers ain't sooooo bad ... but lose the black grill.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Maybe a bumper sticker that says "I'm saving up for chrome". You could put a tip jar by the car for folks to contribute.

I agree that silver will look better, and painting old chrome till you can get something plated ain't new. I was a broke farm kid back in1966 and my old shoebox had silver bumpers.

8. Deadbird

Deadbird

I'd vote for silver too and make a weekly deposit to the chrome piggy bank. :D

9. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

I'd go with silver untill I could chrome them..............but do what ever floats your boat.....it's your car

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Yeah I agree silver would be best if you have to paint it. Or strip the paint and leave it raw. Im in the same boat right now the PO painted my grille black and it looks like chit!! Rest of your car looks great though! What are those taillights from ?

11. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

i would have to agree with going with a very light silver thats my opinion and you know what opinions are like.:D Its your car do what you think looks good.

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I couldn't afford chrome either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You could have if you hadn't spent the money on those wheels and tires.

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hey, I resmeble that remark! :eek: LOL, I admit on some cars, I LIKE painted bumpers, if they flow with the lines, and look like rolled pans. On the little gold Chev, not so much. I'd pull 'em off, rattle can silver, or "Cast Coat", would be better for now.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The 80's are way over....

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

But that's how I roll. Besides, I grew up in the 80's:D

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

then you may want to look for an 80's rodder forum, cause this ain't it. :eek:

18. roddinron

roddinron

Compare this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

Both nice cars, now ask yourself which one you like better

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Whatever.:eek:

20. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I wouldn't paint them body color...Bass Boat Silver Flake would look good, but thats just what I think. do your own thing and have fun.

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

the black don't work..nice color on teh car though

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

paint em silver til you can afford the chrome - or take them off

23. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I have used a really light base coat silver before. No clear. I like the way it looks, until i sell me kidney's chrome is out of the question.

24. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Thanks for the replies folks! Right now Im having too much fun just driving it! Ive been working on the car for 5 yrs and Ive only been able to drive it the past 2 Months! I had never thought that silver would look so good. I guess I just had Black stuck in my head for some reason. I think ill try silver when I get around to pulling them off again.

I dont really care if someone else doesnt like my car, choice of color etc.....
    BUT it really helps to have some more opinons when every one else I know isnt into cars! I dont have many "hot rod" friends, Im just getting into this thing, so if I have a question about something, then I gotta got to the HAMB!!

Thanks

25. "Right now Im having too much fun just driving it!"

Amen!

26. artiep

artiep

Try getting them powder coated. They have a chrome powder coating. Don't know what it would cost,might be cheaper than chrome. This pipe is chrome powdercoated.

Attached Files:

27. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

thats what it's all about Charley Brown.....

28. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i dunno i think i would paint them like a flat or semi gloss white or silver, i always liked that heavy metal flake silver idea for temporary also. i hate fake chrome spray paint it just looks reallly cheapo, at least some trucks in the 50s came with painted white grills and bumpers, so its kinda traditional but not. Or..... u can eat alot of potato chips the kind that has the bags with the chrome inside liner, and turn em inside out and glue em on your bumper ahaha

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is that how Mikey has such nice chrome?!?!?!?! :D

Paint em silver or pull em off.

30. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

you might consider powder coating. I saw a car that had the chrome powder coating done on the trim. It didn't look exactly like chrome....looked more like polished aluminum, but still looked cool as hell. Plus it's durable and still pretty cheap.