Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chrome Czars and the Hunnert Car Pileup #8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Everyone,

We understand that there have been some mixed emotions about the Pileup this year, so we'd like to take this opportunity to address some of the rumors and negativity that's come to our attention.

First, we'd like to thank you for giving us a chance to get home, assess the postives and negatives, and make a statement.

Second, we'd like to thank over 200 volunteers in the Red Shirt Army. They put up with a lot, kept their composure, and made the show run as smoothly as humanly possible (and then some). We could not have done it without them.

Third, we want to apologize to all the people who drove for hours to get there, only to be turned away at the gate because there was no more room to even park to see the show. We had no control over that.

OK. So what the hell happened? Simply put, we got overrun by spectators. The hot rods and customs streamed into the Fairgrounds more smoothly than ever. Screening (and rejections) went smoothly and quickly. Inside parking went well. We learned from last year and reorganized outside parking. We set up parking lines in advance to simplify things. We set up extra lanes for spectators to drive in and out. We placed extra volunteers out front to direct and control parking. We hired the Sherriff's office to direct traffic.

For the first few hours it ran more smoothly than ever, but the cars kept coming. And they kept coming and coming and coming... We ran out of parking quickly, all nine football fields worth of parking. Filled to capacity. That's when the Sherriff decided to shut us down to get traffic on I-80 and Rt. 47 moving again. There were too many people and cars everywhere. The ambulance couldn't get in or out. Traffic was backed up for miles. It was simply unsafe. Then people started parking on the highway, causing even more traffic delays. Around 2pm, it seemed as though half of the hot rods decided to leave, making a bad situation worse. This caused an even bigger back up. We've never had a car accident at the Pileup, but we know of at least two that happened this year with people trying to get in.

So, it's just the laws of physics really. It wouldn't have mattered how many people were directing traffic or how many cops were on site, when you have 3 times the number of people that can fit in a space trying to fit, things will back up. This year it went past the point of dangerous.

We heard several rumors all weekend which we'd like to address:

"I heard the Pileup isn't going to happen after #10"

We've never said anything like that.

"Are you going to have the show next year?" "Will you have the show in Grundy County/Morris again?"

This year was hard on us. We were cursed at, spit on, had mud thrown at us, and even had people try to start fights with us. We heard a lot of hateful comments and dealt with more irate people than we've ever seen in the previous 7 years combined. It has given us a lot to think about. It is, however, much easier to remember the jerks than the nice ones. For every complainer we heard from hundreds of people who begged us to keep the show going and that it's worth suffering through the hardships. We have not had an opportunity to discuss the future yet and where the show will be located, but we would all like to see the show continue.

After 8 years of putting this show on we finally had a major problem, size, which lead to everything stated above, the good and the bad. Apparently size does matter. Each year we notice the problems and hear everyone's complaints. We try to find ways to address problems and find ways to improve the show, and each year new problems pop up.

Again, we want to thank everyone who came out and put up with all the hassles just to show their car and be part of the show, or came to see those cars. We thank everyone who had the patience and maturity to meet the situation and smile through it. We especially thank the Red Shirt Army.

The Chrome Czars and Catherine

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It was an AWESOME event, one of the very TOP in the whole country. Despite the weather thousands came, that's gotta tell you something. Whatever you guys decide to do you have the support of MANY, MANY hundreds of folks cuz we all know you will make the correct decisions for the contiunue success of the event. Thanks for everything, I had a BLAST last weekend!

3. Everyone I know that went said it was a good time. They also got there early to get in. Obviously people love this show and you guys must be doing something right to get the crowd you do. Some people need to remeber " it's a car show for charity". Thanks for all help and putting on one of the bst shows in the Midwest

4. Thanks for another great show, the Pileup is not to be missed; I've been to everyone. I'm sure everything will work out for a great 2010 show and beyond.
    Best of luck to the Czars and the Red Shirts!

5. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Nothing but praise for the Czars, Catherine and the volunteers.

No matter what happens - I hope ya'll will let me come along for the ride.

I will continue to tell people that this is still the greatest 1 day car show in the world.

Those that disagree can stay home.

6. Marcy

Marcy

This show is one of the best and that's because the people involved are all top shelf!
    I for one will support and follow the show wherever it ends up.
    Thanks for all the hard work.

Marcy

7. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

It's still a great show, even though it's gotten insane. I've been going since '04 and it's a not to be missed show and the show to end the season. Lots of thrashing on cars just to get them on the road to the pile up. Thanks again for all the hard work and effort that you guys and the volunteers put in.

8. I left Indy at 0 dark 30 to get there at 8am,, I know (from the past) it gets busy, so I make it a point to be there early..Planning seems to be the key, I had a blast, All the Red Shirts we great,
    Its a great show. Good Food Vendors.
    My 2cents:
    1. Allowable vehicles, this seem to be discressionary to who was inspecting.
    ( I would like to see it stay true to "traditional" , somehow I don't remember modified Lincolns' and suburban's growing up in the 50-60s?)
    2. More Seating, it was near imposible to get off my feet and find some place to eat.
    3. I had NO problem with finding an available Pot-o-potty when I needed one, very short wait, if at all.
    4. Ever owner I was able to talk too was cordial and more than willing to answer my multiple of questions..
    5. The crowd, for the most part was polite, when they saw me trying to get a picture, they stopped, there were (of course) a few that did not care,,,
    6. The Food was good, the price of admission is cheep....especially seeing as it goes to charity..

Bottom line, It's october, near chiago, It will be cold, it could rain or snow, so what are you complaining about!

GREAT SHOW, its my 4th, I love it...
    Take a break, go for a ride,,,,have a burger,,BUT Keep up the great work....Hopefully it will work out.

Tierod...

9. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I just wanted to say thanks, I had a great time.
    I read about the quality of cars... and completely disagree with complaints. There were a couple that weren't my taste, but thought there were nicer cars this year than in previous years, as a whole. Traffic was no problem, but I got there just after 7am, and didn't leave until about 4:30.
    I sincerely appreciate the work you guys do to put this on each year, and look forward to more to come.

Kamp

10. monster

monster

well said, it was my 4th year there and i would like to continue to go again.

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I love you guys and the show... I just wana say thanks too... I had a fantastic weekend! What an adventure... :-D

12. Plowboy

Plowboy

I have been to shows all over the country. I know for a fact that the pileup not only is the best thing going in the midwest, but also in the whole country. I hope you keep it up, wherever it may end up.

13. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Pileup forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Oh yeah Aaron rub it in......I can't get up there for the show. Unless you give me six lucky numbers for Fridays drawing.

15. josh77

josh77

Can't say it any better than that....:cool:

16. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Whatever you guys figure out, I'm confident that this experience will only allow for better events in the future.

A big thanks for your efforts, both in the past and for future events. Stu

17. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

I've been to them all. Had a great time at them all. Hope to keep going to the show no matter how big it gets. No complaining from me....Jones

18. Retr05

Retr05

This was my first HCPU and I hope that it will continue every year. I had a great time and would like to thank everyone for all the effort to make this a great show.

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

This was my second Pileup. Well, third if you count my brother ramming into the backend of our hotrod with his F-350 at 7am that morning at the corner of Rt 6 and Rt 47. But thats another story all together. I volunteered this year. I'll do it all again next year, where ever it's at.

20. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Love the show.

I am very proud to be a volunteer.

Whatever direction the show goes, I'll support it. You guys have the best thing going. Period.

Tim

21. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

This was my 5th straight Pile-up and 1st as a volunteer (a red shirt who didn't put his on, I dropped it in the mud). My assignment...North side Parking and Hot rod entrance 9-11 am. With the Indy crew at the road and myself up the gravel drive, we had to get the cars off the road and In line or parked. Mission accomplished in 15 minutes.
    Merging 5 lanes of Participants into 2 lanes was a little tough (couple of over-heated cars), but everyone was real cordial..Hell down-right Giddy..They were ready for the show.
    After the shift was over, I had to leave ASAP (wife had food poisioning and was back @ the room). After exiting the gate and heading back to the Quality, I could see the the TRAFFIC already backed up into Morris and down I-80...There was no way for the Czars to have seen this storm coming...
    It reminded me of the little voice in the Movie "Field of Dreams" (Build it and they will come).The Chrome Czars have built, without a doubt, The BEST Dam Show in the Midwest and everybody wanted to be there. I was there as a volunteer, couldn't be a participant (due to wife's illness) and I will be back For #9... As a Volunteer and Participant

Kurt & Peggy Fontaine

22. dragass

dragass

I've never been to the show and the negative comments that I read on the HAMB haven't deterred me from making plans to attend in 2010. So PLEASE!! don't cancel the pileup on account of the shortfalls this year. You guys will only make the show better from all of this BS.

Thanks Gil

23. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Thanks again to the Chrome Czars!!!! I had a great time and always look forward to the free PBR you guys hand out at noon. Looking forward to #9.

24. Thank you Joe for an official statement. The extraordinary effort put forth by the Czars this year helped tremendously in lessening the chaos which could have been so much worse - you guys and DW survived a "human tsunami"!

Advanced predictions pointed to a smaller turnout this year because of weather and economic issues but the allure of this event is incredible. Pile-Up #8 was an amazing, fun-filled event that was impossible to experience in its entirety in a single day. You depart wanting more and eagerly anticipating next year!

Each year before I finally leave I find Magnet to gauge his "instant analysis". This year he was silent, looking exhausted and grim - my heart sank. Then he looked back, flashed a slightly-weaker version of his famous smile and thanked me for helping them - astounding!!!

Glo and I will definitely be in line to volunteer again next year, we're proud to be troops in the Red Shirt Army and look forward to helping implement whatever changes you guys deem necessary.

THANK YOU CHROME CZARS and Catherine!!

25. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

In spite of all the complaints you guys may have heard, the traffic troubles, and a few fender benders, you still put on the best damned show in the country, bar none! I will continue to come back as long as the show is being put on. The Czars and the Redshirts did a spectacular job. I frequent a fair number of shows and this one always leaves me walking away with big smile on my face. I have met some of the coolest and most sincere people at the Hunnert! This was my first year as a vendor so I didn't get to see nearly the number of cars that I would have liked to, but still had a blast selling my art and meeting new and old friends alike.

Keep it alive! The Hunnert rules!

Todd

26. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

To Hellfish, and All the new friends at the HCPU.

Awesome Show. Thanks for all the hard work seems not enough "Thanks."
    It was my first time and not the last. I was prepared for cold.
    Wake up call @ 6 am, arrived early and stayed late. No trouble at all.
    I love meeting all the new people. I had a great time.....
    THANKS TO EVERYONE! Downtown Friday night was like stepping back in time. See you next year.

27. Been to 7 of the 8 Pileups. Second best show in the midwest (sorry Czars).

Just like every year, we get there at 7:30 and have no problems, do the red shirt duty from 9-11. We stay all day and have a good time looking at vendor stuff, do the M&G at 2, talking to people, did the swap meet when they had one. Leave about 3-4pm. hit the car wash, hotel, eat and go downtown.
    Yes, there is mud, or there is dust, but you learn to accept that's Morris.

This year was no problem for us, we drove right in, drove right out, seriously.

This is not an event that you can sleep in at the hotel until 11am or drive a long distance and arrive at 12noon and expect to drive in, park and walk up and buy an admission ticket, all in 5 minutes. It ain't gonna happen at 12 noon at the Pileup.

I'll get flamed for this, but like Ron White says, "I had the right to remain silent but not the ability" so here goes.
    IMHO, the $5.00 spectator admission is the problem. Raise it to 20.00 per person with kids under 12 free. It will eliminate a lot of the madness on the spectator side of the event.

Leave the cost where it is for participants. If you are a participant, keep doing what you have been doing. I worked the south gate from 9-11 and saw virtually zero problems with traffic flow for participants during those hours.

Regardless, Saturday was a good day for everyone who attended or attempted to attend. Remember, you could have been laying in a foxhole somewhere last Saturday with somebody shooting at you.

28. The pileup hand down is one of the best shows i've every been to and will continue to go to. Everyone did an excellent job putting it together. No complaints here, just looking forward to #9

29. modelamac

modelamac

I do agree!!! The show is the best of the best!

Actually the whole weekend is the best car event weekend I've ever been too, all the pre parties, the pile up, the people, and the lions show/swap on sunday!!! I always look forward to it!

I've been to many, many of the big events all around the country over the past 35 years and this one is the BEST!

With that being said... I do have a complaint on the screening, 2 of the 3 cars we brought were turned away this year, and one was let in last year?

One for Keystone classic wheels, hell they were older than the guy who came out of the crowd to strip the sticker of approval off the windshield and turn us out saying the wheels were too new? The other (that was inside last year) for not being custom or hot rodded enough... a 59 stude truck with a sbc, 62 olds rearend, straight axle, chrome reverse wheels..etc. that's fine, but there were 3 other stude trucks that were mirror images of ours, even the same color that were inside the show....hhuummm?

I know it's easy for me to bitch, but some of the guys at the gate need to get together on screening... what was good for some wasn't good for others.... it sucked being an "other!"

OH WELL..... STILL HAD A BLAST!!!! just had to walk further for a seat!!!

Keep it up guys! A BIG THANKS TO ALL who make it happen, I know it ain't easy.

I will be back next year, I already have the count down started!!!!!

30. After attending . all I can say is a big heartfelt thanks to all involved. Its a great way to spend the day.

I just talked to my twin brother who specializes in after event analysis. He had a suggestion.
    [​IMG]

Remember you can fix most anything with duct tape .:D