Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. QueenCityMotorsports.com

QueenCityMotorsports.com
    from Cincinnati

I shot some (amateur) video on Sunday afternoon, and have pieced together a 10 minute video that is now posted on Youtube at the link below. I took plenty of photos also, but it looks like there were already plenty of folks taking photos. ENJOY!!:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2SzbhPXaQ0

Keith Wendel

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. Keith, Thanks for the great video. To those who didn't come by this past weekend, maybe you should next year??? Josh, I know why you were not there and I really know why your dad was not there....the deadbeat...lol
    Thanks to all who came and hope to see more of you next year. vvvrrrooooooommm
    HG :cool:

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Damn Mexican race car painters.. :D

4. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Great shot of the Sumar..
    Looks like it's comming along real well.
    Sure would LOVE to see it up at Milwaukee next year for the Miller meet!

ZOOOM

5. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Iwas running next the Anderson car at Waukegan the night Paul Rademacher was killed Anderson always had great midgets.

6. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

That car was origionally the "Ridge Offy" a red #55 owned by Joe Bugalotti (?spelling?) aka Joe Boom out of Brooklyn, NY and was driven by his son in law Buddy Chase. Another Brroklynite, Tom Cochrane owned & drove it for awhile too.

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Mark Donahue in the Ken Brenn Offy "pusher"

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I'll try again ..
    Mark Donahue in the Ken Brenn Offy "pusher" .. probably taken at the Lime Rock (CT) road course

9. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Having viewed this thread for several years, having my son (BZNeil) twisting my arm, being between street rod projects, and now going to Winchester, after a many year hiatus, I have the bug.

What's out there in the way of a 50's - 60's midget project? Could do a sprint car, but space makes a midget more practical. Any of you guys got anything you want to unload?

[email protected]

Blacki-Suede

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Have you looked through the classified section? A few open wheelers have come up recently. This was just listed today, no connection, just FYI.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405643

11. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Rootie, thanks for the info and the link. As with all projects I have located some that are very complete, but have items I do not want, and naturally I have found the basket cases that need more parts than I have the desire to make or find. This one appears to be a good starting point for me.

Thanks Again
    Blacki-Suede

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Your welcome, quite a bit there to work with but kinda depends on just how "authentic" it needs to be. If some liberties can be taken, I think it could be put on the track pretty resonable.

13. Root, how about a pic or more of the "Tuffy's #25 ". Really appreciate your posting pix from Winchester. If there are others, also please post,
    mlight9.

14. Inmate85031

Inmate85031

Harley Gene:

Check you PM

Mike

15. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

As a young man i saw Buddy Chase run that car at Hatfield, PA. many times. What a brave driver he was; we saw him more than once start last row in the feature, but still has the lead by one lap into the race.
    I still think it was a good idea on his father in laws to make him quit when he married the mans daughter!
    With his style, back then, he most likely would not have lasted much later.
    I dont mean that in a cruel way; just the way it was back in the day.

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome Mike! Glad to see you here.

...guys, Mike has some great knowledge and will be a good contribution to the thread.

Plus, He's flagged races I was in and I've listened to his drivers meetings for years. Hopefully he won't BLACK FLAG me here.. :D

J shaw

17. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hey Corngrower: I had a WONDERFUL conversation with Mr. Stapp last evening. He is aware of my car from its previous owner,and wants to provide as much info as possible, and also offered to help,if necessary. What heally impressed me about him was his current "pet project" and his enthusiasm for the future. He might be aged,but he sure aint old!!He really is ,as you said, a neat guy. Thanks for the hook-up! John S.

18. Flip119

Flip119

Let me start off by saying that this is the coolest thread EVER! The amount of history and knowledge here is, I beleive, second to none. Thanks to Buildy for pointing me here from the Williams Grove board.
    I recently attended Winchester for the first time and to my delight it turned out to be Old Timers weekend. What a great display of beautiful machinery. I only wish I had known beforehand and could have spent more time there. Here a some of the pics I shot on Sunday. I have plenty more to post if anyone's interested.
    Please, keep this thread going strong and hopefully someday I'll catch up!
    IMG_7051_1.jpg

IMG_7196_1.jpg

IMG_7212_1.jpg

IMG_7213_1.jpg

IMG_7217_1.jpg

IMG_7219_1.jpg

IMG_7227_1.jpg

19. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Baldtireman,
    I am curious about your Stapp car. What do you already know about the car? I have had the good fortune of being involved in 3 Stapp car restorations. Steve was certianly one of the very best builders of our time. If I can be any help with info, let me know. Can you post any photos for us to drool over?

20. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Please continue posting the Winchester pix!
    I am in the red, white and blue Boyle Valve Miller replica and I also had the #98 Watson roadster and #1 Fike Plumbing sprint car. Great pix!

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

22. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Just in case you didn't know it macmiller, you were the star of the show at Winchester last weekend! Well, at least you were for anyone that saw the video on YouTube. You in the #15 car and of course your other cars, the Fike Plumbing and the Willard Battery cars were all very prominent in the video. For you guys' that posted the videos and pics, it really made a lot of us feel like we were almost there. So, thanks again for that and to all the drivers that continue to wear the open-faced helmets when they climb into these old beauties. 'Truly replicating that genuine, nostalgia look. Another car that caught my eye that hadn't received much exposure was Jim Graybeal's gorgeous maroon sprinter. Man, what a job on that one!

23. Can anyone shed a little light on this one? It appears to be a fantastic Sumar Special replica as I believe the original has been restored and lives in a museum in Florida. If the original exists in Florida, who's is this one and what are the plans for it? Anyone?

[​IMG]

24. Flip119

Flip119

Thanks for the compliment mac miller. Here's a couple more. Glad to be here and share my experience with those who couldn't make it. Enjoy!

View attachment 779036

View attachment 779037

View attachment 779038

View attachment 779039

View attachment 779040

View attachment 779041

View attachment 779042
    :confused: Not sure what I did wrong here. I uploaded the files from my computer and attached them to the post, but I'm getting an "Invalid attachment specified" message. Also wondering why my pics show up in a column when I post them? Can someone point me in the right direction, please. Sorry for the screw up, I'll get this figured out yet. FNG's!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm really glad to hear that! Good deal!

NOW POST SOME PICS OF IT!!! :D

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Place called "HAMMER ART" in Indy, on the old Gasoline Alley is doing it. Your right in both regards. It's a REPLICA of the Sumar Special.. and YES the original is in a museum in Daytona...

As I understand it, the original suffered some "lift" problems at Indy.. mainly due to misplaced air vents in the fenders that caught the wind and directed it Downward behind the tires, creating "Lift" At one point I believe they tried running it WITH OUT the fenders (like the picture above) just to make the show..
    Anyways, the fender vents were "fixed" and the entire cockpit was in closed (or changed) to help streamline it.. They painted it red (I think) and ran it on the Daytona beach in Land-Speed trials.. That is why it is in a museum in florida, it is in there for that.. NOT Indy fame.

So... Denny (I think is his name) at HAmmer art decided to build a replica of the INDY style Sumar spl. and he is doing a PHENOMINAL job at it!!

Now! That being said, I'm sure I left a lot out, and Roy and Harley Gene will have a lot more to add.. or correct! ha ha!! :p

Only contribution I've been lucky enough to have in the build is calling him and telling him that there were only a couple sets of INDY SPEEDWAY tires left at Coker, HURRY UP AND CALL NOW! :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

sorry for the multy posting.. but I had to add these..

Attached Files:

29. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Hi Baldtireman (and Hi Joe!),

New guy here. But not new to this thread. I recently re-read all the postings just to "catch up". This has to be the best record of the history of our favorite cars, drivers and racing ANYWHERE! A special thanks to the guys who were close to the action in the '50s and '60s and who share their knowledge with us. Thank you!

I'm privileged to own the Stapp #4 Sprinter that Joe restored. It was the Stapp house car 1964-66, then owned by George Snider, Jerry Mann, Steve Stapp (again), Charlie Chariot, Bobby Albert and a few others. When researching the history of the car I collected quite a bit of "Stapp stuff" and lots of photos. Give us a little more info on your car and maybe I can help fill in a few blanks.

Has anyone out there ever heard of Jerry Mann, possibly from Houston, TX? Jerry owned and drove my car from 1970 to 1973 as the red #77 Mann Sprinter, probably running locally 1970-72, then running USAC in 1973. He bought the car from George Snider (yellow #22) and sold it back to Steve Stapp. Every rabbit trail I follow when looking for Mr. Mann leads to a dead end...

30. racer5c

racer5c

So... Denny (I think is his name) at HAmmer art decided to build a replica of the INDY style Sumar spl. and he is doing a PHENOMINAL job at it!!

Denny was Hired by Don Smith to build this car