Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who really ownes "your" car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Oct 2, 2009.

1. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I had my 5W at a car show/flea market last Saturday and noticed a young guy really studying it. He finally came over and asked me if I had bought it from HAMBer Hatch. When I said yes he told me that his dad had owned it for over 35 years and only sold it after learning he had terminal cancer. We traded email addresses and agreed to keep in touch and share photos and info about the car. About an hour later the guy returned with his wife, kids and his mom. I could see the emotion in his mom's face as she relived the memories of the car and the plans her husband had for it. Tears were streaming down her face as she stood there not saying a word. I really didn't know what to do but I finally walked over to her and asked if she wanted to go for a ride in her husbands car. She never said a word but nodded her head yes. I could see the emotion on her face as we drove around the fairgrounds. I told her I had never met her husband but I knew the vision he had about how he would build the coupe. I told her I shared that vision and hoped seeing the car finished would help finish a chapter in her family's life. After our little cruise she and the rest of the family posed for pictures with the car. At that moment I realized the coupe really belonged to them and not me. As a guy who only keeps car 2 or 3 years (too many cars and too little time ya know) I realized that I could never sell the coupe ...... unless I return it to the rightfull owners. After all its their car not mine.

2. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it. I was thinking while I read it that you all share in the ownership of that little coupe. I agree with you though, don't ever sell it. That is a once in a lifetime thing.

3. 36C8

36C8

Nice story. I've found it harder to sell a car of mine if I know the previous owner had a strong attachment to it. Like I want to ensure it will be taken care of. Makes no sense, but it's true.

4. Great story man. Lets hope the kid ends up with it someday.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Wonderful story. You are merely a caretaker of that car. We ALL are caretakers of our cars (hopefully).

6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

That's a touching story.

One of the reasons i like The Rodders Journal are the articles. When one reads about the featured cars it becomes apparent that each one has a life story attatched to it as if it was alive with a beating heart and soul. Fuel pump, your car is no different and there are thousands just like it. Keep it. Don't sell it and build it in memory of it's past.

7. What a great story,,I am sure it was a little awkward being in that situation and you came out with flying colors,

I proud of the way you handled her flow of emotions and trying to help ease the pain she felt seeing something her husband wanted to do and you making it a reality.

I'm sure it was gratifing to the whole family to see her ride in the coupe,,and when it comes time to let it go maybe her son might have a shot at it.

It's been said many times over,,we are just caretakers,,

Good Karma points coming your way. HRP

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Way cool!

We're all just borrowing these machines.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a heartwrenching story Rich.
    Can you imagine seeing something by surprise a car that your husband loved and worked on for such a long time.
    Your right there. We are never the owners just the caretakers....
    Thanks for sharing.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome man, I am sure that it meant the world for to be able to take a ride in it. And the fact that you would be willing to send it back to the original owner when you are done is mighty big of you.

I sometimes pray that if I ever did sell my '26 it would be to someone that knew Sean Vesely like his daughter, wife or perhaps even a close friend. I would be happy to know that the car was going back to someone where is was more then the some of it's parts. It was something to connect with.

11. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Fuel,

Awesome story.

I knew the owner of my A through my uncle....he died in 2002 and my Dad got it , then my dad passed away last year. It would be amazing to have him take one ride in "his" A , we are caretakers of memories....

K

12. thendrix

thendrix

Not a car but along the same lines. I have a picture of me on a Long tractor with my grandpa. I was a couple of months old and he took me for my first ride. I know where the tractor is and would someday like to have it. It's not worth much material wise but it's worth a whole lot more to me.

There is also a Massey Ferguson 235 in Forrest Mississippi that he used to own. It was the first tractor I ever drove. I remember him saying "raise the bucket, now put it in gear, now ease out on the clutch". His brother owns it now. Thats another one I would love to have.

13. My present project was an old race car...beat and abused until it was dragged into a field to rot. It's all mine. Nobody is ever gonna come up to me to say they knew this car at one time...
    I suppose I could research it's history but there were so damn many of these race cars in this area that info prolly lost to history forever.

Attached Files:

14. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

That is an awesome story! If you do sell it back to the family someday, you gotta finish that story for us too.

15. skullhat

skullhat

cool story.......reality is most of our cars are gonna out last us.

i think most guys take better care of their cars than themselves or their women..............i know i do

skull

16. havi

havi

Great story! I had picked up an F6 that undoubtedly will be known as "Macy's old truck" when it's done.

17. Badfella

Badfella

Way cool story. Makes me wonder about all the cars I've owned over the years and what their stories may have been...??

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yes, it's all yours. But unless you are buried in it, you are also merely a "caretaker". :)

19. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Your a credit to this hobby,class act.

20. NOTCH

NOTCH

Thanks for sharing your story Fuel.. I tell my friends that we cant own them forever, some one else later down the road will drive our cars and call it theirs.

21. I was there at the fairgrounds and watched this all go down. I can honestly say that was one of the finest "car moments" of my life. The wife was obviously moved by the experience and watching her drive around the fairgrounds with Rich was priceless. Way cool!!!!!!!

22. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

great story. I would imagine that everyone has seen a car they used to own at some time or another. Maybe it didn't bring about such strong emotion (obviously had more to do with the memory of dad/husband that was no longer with them), but just the same you get that twinge of nostalgia.

23. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Since none of my stuff even remotely resembled an automobile when I started I'll never have an opportunity like yours. Lucky for all of you.

24. Brought tears to my eyes.................
    I think we all would love to know the history behind our rides, I know I would.

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I was able to track down the gentleman who built my 32 in 1960. unfortunately I was 6 months late in doing so as he had passed away and I reached his widow. She seemed bitter and angry when I brought up the car. was a harsh no when I asked if she remembered anything or had pictures. I was quite sad. I have since lost his name which saddens me even more.

glad you had a better experience than I did!

26. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

A great story,and you handled the situation with a ton of class! Good for you. I'm sure the family will never forget you, or the experience.

27. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

I actually think I am the rightful owner of your 5W. We need to talk....:rolleyes:

28. slammed

slammed

Nice read. Ya done good by reaching out to them, and telling us.

29. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What an awesome story, thanks for sharing it with us.

30. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Yah, that got me. My eyes started to leak a little.