Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/How many HAMBers play music?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I tickle the ivories mainly. I usually play jazz, blues and classics. I've got a 1936 Estey baby grand, a Yamaha keyboard, an old handmade fiddle (1890's) and a 64 Fender Mustang guitar I dabble on once in a great while.

2. JamesG

JamesG

I play drums. Our band plays everything from Hank Sr. to Type-O-Negative. We have a kick ass punk version of "Long Haired Country Boy"!

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've been playing guitar for 18 years and have been in bands playing everything from classic rock, metal, hard rock, hair band, psychobilly and now rockabilly. Here some of the toys.

[​IMG]

The two on the left are Westone GTs from my hair band days. I did the artowrk. The middle one I built and painted. It started out as an Electra. Now has a new birdseye maple neck and George Lynch pickups... Copper with dark copper ghost flame that is also my tattoo. I love this guitar. Next is my '97 Epiphone Sorrento. The guitar that started my rockabilly style. Next is my LP copy. I never play it but I have way to little money in it to sell it. I play through Fender amps (of course)

Also have a '69 Fender Kingman Wildwood. Basically it's a Fender acoustic with a Strat neck. Fairly rare and being a wildwood makes it extremely rare.

My first guitar was a Memphis Eddie Van Halen knockoff. They got sued and recalled all the guitars. I have the only 2 I have ever seen. The second I bought off ebay for $30 with a broken neck.

This is me playing with my current band, the Hot Rod Hucksters. The guitar is my gold metalflake Epiphone Sorrento with TV Jones Filtertron pickups. My favorite guitar for sure.

[​IMG]

One of my biggest goals in life is to have my own cd. Hopefully that day is coming...

My username for those that don't know comes from Django Reinhardt. One of the greatest jazz guitarists to ever live. When I was a kid, the ONLY guitar playing I knew was EVH, George Lynch, Nuno, Vai... My gods. Unfortunately it wasn't until my later years that I discovered who the real guitar gods are/were. I've seen Gypsy kids blow away anything that my former "heros" ever did. If I had only known. Right now I'm a hack. I can fake the style, but it's like learning a new language. Someday...

Hellfish can give his own stats, but here is when we played the Pileup.

[​IMG]

4. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

I play guitar, bass, and do some vocals. Used to be in some old Boston hardcore bands... prolly gonna try and get something together again soon since I've been feelin the itch again. Funny this thread popped up now.

5. Tommy C

Tommy C

Another Drummer Here...Been playing since I was very young, dad was a drummer also. For the last three years I have been in a pretty successful rock band playing the clubs throughout Indiana, Kentucky & Tennessee. Just gave them my notice so I could spend the weekends in the garage getting the car done. I'm sure I'll be back out there again soon though.

Me...
    [​IMG]

6. MBL

MBL

Me in Midnight Bowlers League...We're better than the worst.

Attached Files:

7. byrd

byrd

i got to play my Tambourine a few times with a beatles cover band in dallas a few years ago. it was a lot of fun!
    i tried geetar, but no go.

8. kritz

kritz
    from flint, mi

i play the doublebass in a honky-tonk country band called "whitey morgan and the trouble bound band"

been playing the bass for about a year and a half now...
    before that played trombone in a ska/punk band.
    played drums on and off since i was about 12.

Attached Files:

9. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Nuthin better than col beer, fast cars, and live music! I have played drums since Jr. High, and I try and sit in at clubs whenever possible. Got a P.O.S kit I have collected at garage sales and stuff. A lot like my car! Used to have a Pearl 7 pc w/ all Zildjian cymbals back when I was in a band. Those days are long gone. Here's a shot of a winter jam session we had. Kind of a reunion of sorts. Only blues, rockabilly, and a few hacked up originals.

Might not be exactly OT, but a cool thread anyway.

Attached Files:

10. TimB

TimB
    from Florida

Jazz Trombone for 20 years. Mostly do Big Band/Dance Band stuff now. In the past I have played in a band that opened for Mel Torme and have done a couple of jobs playing back up for the O'jays

11. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Drums since 1980, also play Acoustic guitar and banjo for kicks only. Had a wide variety of kits from a black double bass Yamaha studio kit to a big Tama Rockstar pro. Now have a set of Roland V-session e-drums for the house so I can beat my brains out and not wake the kids up at night. Unless I turn the amps on....

12. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    i play the doublebass in a honky-tonk country band called "whitey morgan and the trouble bound band"...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I saw Kritz's group when they opened up for Hayseed Dixie.
    I was really impressed!

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This is usually how a Delusionaires show ends.

Attached Files:

14. This has turned out to be a cool topic, some of you guys have as fine axes as cars. It does my old heart good to see so many honky tonkers out there. We should get something started. We need a pedal steel, dobro player and a hot fiddler. The model T fellows usually have a jam at their swaps. That might a good tradition to start.

15. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

former bassist for NYC Oi! band Urban Riot

... with my trusty Fender P bass or Musicman Stingray

16. Satinblack

Satinblack

Yes another one of my other hobbies! But with all the car projects I have zero time. I play bass and some guitar
    Gibson limited edition Thunderbird/carvin redeye
    62 Gibson melody maker/61 fender deluxe

I also build my own guitars from "scratch"/I don't buy parts and bolt together. Currently I have a tele I need to finish, but the 58 comes first [​IMG]. Satin

17. Yowsa!! Gotta love anybody who wears a tarboosh on stage. No, it's not a Fez unless it comes from the city of Fez. I have some pals who play mardi gras music in tarboosh's and flashy bath robes. They have so much fun, they should have to pay the crowd.

18. murph

murph

Cool Thread.

I've been playing drums since I was 11. Matter of fact, I still have the same set of second-hand Gretsch drums that my parents got me when I was a kid. It was originally a 4-piece, with a single 9x13 tom on a stand (Charlie Watts style). The kit was missing the floor-tom legs, and my Dad made a set at the machine shop at work. He also cut down a cracked cymbal that was given to me by a neighbor. The cymbal and tom legs are still on my kit. In HS, I added a second tom and had both mounted on the bass drum at Muzzy Mizzoni's shop in Morristown, NJ. Since then I have added more cymbals and hardware, but the drums remain the same.

I've played in several rock bands over the years, but learned early-on that you don't make any money playing bars and small clubs. Good thing I listened to my Mom and "learned a trade" as a backup plan. LOL Music has always been an integral part of my life, and if I could make a living at it, I would. About twice a year, I get together and jam with guys from work who are also "closet musicians". Funny though, I still get the same rush jamming in the garage, as I did when I was a kid.

-murph

19. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Donzie: "I feel like the old man here".....

I started playing harp in '55 and guitar in '56 but I don't feel like the old man. They say that old guys are just young guys that have been around a long time. Our steel player is 77 and in the hospital right now but he'll be back; really tough old bricklayer.

pigpen

Been getting the same kicks since '46.

20. do two turntables and a mixer count as an instrument?

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

i thought it was 2 turntables and a microphone?

22. stangzilla

stangzilla
    from FTW Texas

not a hamber, but my wife plays on my skin flute! [​IMG]

23. scarylarry

scarylarry

Bass with big hair, lots of travel, a few bucks a week, and big fun...a very long time ago. [​IMG]

24. stangzilla

stangzilla
    from FTW Texas

bass or bass?just kidding [​IMG]

25. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

26. Played drums in a punk rock band in high school. College killed my playing time, but jam every now and then with some older metal heads. Its fun, but want to start a real hard hellbilly band a la ASSJACK!!

Geno

27. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

I started playing guitar at 15. Played in garage bands while also playing alto, tenor and baritone saxophones in different school bands. Got pretty serious in a southern rock band called August but the band broke up under the stress of trying to complete a record deal. At the high point of my so called career, i had twelve guitars....mostly Les Pauls, a Flying V, a 76 Strat, a Yamaha 6 string acoustic and a 12 string acoustic. My amp was a Marshall 100 watt head plugged into a Peavey Duece 120 watt amp running through a Peavey 4-12 cabinet. Very Loud! I was in a rock band called Nitro and we had just released our only album. At that same time a demanding wife along with the birth of my two kids took all my time and the music didn't seem as important anymore. Everything was sold off piece by piece. A few years later, after a nasty divorce and then my recent re-marriage, my new wife bought me a jap-strat and practice amp for Christmas. I've been knocking the rust off and have money saved for a much bigger amp, so i'll be looking to start a new band in the very near future. I think a HAMB-JAMB would be a very good idea! Maybe I can hook up with some other car guys and play a few car shows one of these days.

28. VespaJay

VespaJay

I play guitar in The Belmondos, a 60's Farfisa organ-driven garage band that's been around since the late 80's. Also played & sang in Das Fearless Leaders, a Merseybilly trio (later quartet) from '97 - '03.

Currently have:
    - '66 Gretsch Double Anniversary Sunburst
    - Late 60's Jansen solidbody w/Bigsby
    - '69 Guild F-47 (with weird factory wooden pickup)
    - '00 Fender Tele Thinline
    - '99 Danelectro U2
    - Couple of Teisco Del Rey/Dan Forte-style weirdos
    My only amp is an early 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb, damn, I love that thing.

[​IMG]

29. Rand Man

Rand Man

If anybody's looking for a singer, I'm your man. I can belt out just about any tune, but my voice fits best into Honky Tonk, Rock-a-Billy, or Blues.

I volunteer to set-up some sort of stage at next year's HAMB drags. I bet enough players would show-up for a jam session. I might be able to bring a Karaoke system too.

30. Sure. Guitar mostly. Blues harp every now and then. Own too many old guitars. Currently in a garage-ish band, and a former project is here:

www.theredbarons.com

Mike