Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked50, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read it one more time, and we'll call it an education. In 1964, only the 300 cubic inch motor had aluminum heads on an iron block, the 355 and anything larger were all iron.

2. Took you long enough to jump in here man. I expected to see your response first:D;).

3. Brahm

Brahm

I'm going with a nailhead on my '29 buick (it's only appropriate in my opinion). I've got a couple 401s lined up but am am hoping to find a 425, lots of really cool looking parts out there for them. There are a few places that make 6x2 setups..

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Exactly!
    I've put them in the last 3 cars I built and even in the drag boat I built...I love them!:D

5. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Thanks Lobucrod, I'll go to sleep a better man this evening.

... and who needs HP ? I'll take torque over HP any day. That's why I have a harley and not a ricer.

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

you aint lying....my T-5 behind my nailhead is a lot of fun. The torque of the engine is good enough to pull 5th at 30MPH.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry man, I do actually work sometimes... :D

There are quite a few good Nailhead threads on here and with a little searching you'll be able to answer just about any question you have.

8. Zman, Are the "Buick" valve covers a factory item?
    Are they hard to find?

I don't have that "work" problem right now:(. Sure glad the reccession is over:D

9. striper

striper

10. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

You might want to check out my Buick engine book "How to Build Max Performance Buick Engines", I go into great detail on the Nailheads. Awesome engines, just stay away from the first couple years, those are the bastards, nothing swaps over, hard to find parts, small (322) etc.

11. rivguy

rivguy

Nailheads; built from 1952 ( The original Skylark motor) to 1966. 322 ci. to 425 ci. A beautiful classic motor that moves my Riv like a muscle car!

12. Some things cannot be explained on paper. Get the nailhead. Your gut will thank you.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah, they seem to always be on eBay, but beware of cheao mexican knock offs.

What about the 264?

14. Wicked50

Wicked50

I got pictures from the guy who is selling the engine just wondering if you guys think it's worth the $1,200 he wants for it. He said it has compression can turn it with a wrench but it's missing the water pump and the starter is no good and it's been sitting for about 3 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Tell him yes if it comes with the dual quad setup sitting there... :D

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have the book, just because I'm a Nailhead nut, but I have to say I'm not real pleased with it. Not really digging the format with everything sprinkled throughout rather than engine by engine. Nothing new or revolutionary in there. All the info is easier to find in the yahoo list as well as various buick sites. It's nice that the Buicks got some attention though.

Not to mention some mistakes. Should of paid more attention when writing the Crankshaft section on Nailheads. The Nailhead uses four different forged-steel cranks. These forged-steel cranks are used in the 1953-1956 322 and 364, 1959-1963 401 and 425, and 1964-1966 401 and 425. Hmmm.... That's 3 and the first one should read 264 and 322 and have the 364 as it's own. There are a few more in the book as well. :rolleyes:

As for your 322 remark, I think you need to understand where you are. From a traditional hot rod and custom viewpoint if you're building a traditional car then a lot of times the 322 is the choice to make. As for parts being harder to find, I disagree, though I don't really mess with them I can get 322 parts as easy as I can get parts for the bigger ones. And there is so much that crosses over.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  17. 322 has more than enough power for a small hot rod (425 is wicked overkill).
    I have four of them.
    $1200 is kind of steep, but that's just me.
    might help if you could start it.

18. Wicked50

Wicked50

What should I look for when going to buy an engine that has been sitting for a couple years

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

does it turn over? is the most important thing. if it's not it a car or you can't hear it run it's a core, period. unless they have receipts for a fresh build and it comes with a warranty. If they even talk about harden seats it means they don't know dick about a Nailhead and probably ruined the heads.

20. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Here's a video to check out. Your friend's right, nailheads are no good. You'd be better off going with a SBC (yawn!). But if you HAVE to settle for a crappy old nailhead, please don't leave the hood off like Rolf did........ they're not only junky engines they're just plain ugly. Nothing like a dressed up 350/350 horse.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhA4WZUGajk

21. Wicked50

Wicked50

LOL Ya I've thought about it and the Nailhead is the wrong choice I want to be like everyone else and run a SBC since it's already in my garage. I was going to do with the 390 cuz it does have power but comparing the 390 Caddy to 425 NH the nail head is far more powerful. I want to be able to do donuts

22. BigDave

BigDave
    from St.Louis

I have two 55 Nailheads that I was thinking about rebuilding, but I think I will just sell them for $100.00 each. One has the trans still hooked up to it.

Maybe I will just rebuild the one.

23. As Zman said, if he included the 2x4 setup in the upper left go for it!

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's a good price if it comes with the 2x4 intake and carbs. Otherwise too much.

The Nail is a great engine; it started in '53, not '52.
    Lots of info on this site, if you do a search.

By now, you should have figured out that your friend is clueless.

-Brad

25. Nailheads as said before are very good engines. I don't think your buddy has ever seen, heard, or drove one or he would think differant.

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If someone tells you that a SBC is a better engine than a nailhead, ask him "For what?" Is it going to be a race motor? Do you need to make a cubic inch class? If the answer is "No" then why is the SBC better. 322 inches will sure pull any little car around just great let alone 401 or 425. Some people only know what they read in HRM.

27. I don't know what the prices are in the rest of the country but I got a 364(looks good inside) for $300, a 401(runs good) for $375 and just today I made an offer on a 425 for $300............got a ST400 tranny for $75 also.
    Just put the word out and sit back.
    I got two of my motors on Craig's list.........................Good hunting.

28. DAYUM!! that was cool. :D

29. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

My buddy thought the same thing about my 66 Skylark Grand Sport, it had a 401cu/445Wildcat, super turbine 300 tranny, buicks version of a powerglide, and factory 4:10 posi rear, my friends grandpa ordered it that way. My buddy thought his 68 SS 396cu Chevelle would crush me, well he got surprised, wasn't even close, that nailhead handed out many whoopings, this was 1982, if only the tire technology we have now was around then.
    The 445 Wildcat designation was the torque rating of the 401cu. Nothing against the chevy engines, I just think the nailhead is a cooler engine, go fast with class!!!

30. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Looks like a '65 401 0or 425. only 65 and 66 had the ST 400 tranny and the 66 had a Qjet carb. If you dont want the 2x4's I do! Rebuilt waterpumps are not hard to find and the everything on the starter minus the nose cone is the same as all other GM's.