Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR 2010 "Must be first time in judged competition"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainh8r, Sep 10, 2009.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

Pirelli is now sponsoring the competition, and if the car has ever been in judged competition, it's not elgible for the AMBR. I wonder if this is from the new sponsors, trying to look only to the newest cars, or if there is a little fallout from the Ala Kart and other restored winners coming back out? Also, the dates are listed on the entry form as January 29-31, not 22-24; which one is correct?

2. I think it would be more to do with the influx of cars being built for Ridler that don't win so are entered in GNRS to try for the AMBR. I think this is a great move and well over due. We may see some better thought out builds entered in the AMBR.

3. rainh8r

rainh8r

That's a good point-this may be a tool to increase, or solidify, the prestige of the show. The Ridler Award has been getting more press in the past few years than the AMBR, so this would ensure that the cars in competition would be the newest and, hopefully, thus get more coverage.

4. Where did you see 22-24 ?

The promoters site:
    http://www.rodshows.com/

5. Jcbuck

Jcbuck

Hey guys thanks for the thread on the AMBR. You guys are correct. I am not interested in a corporate sell out or anything like that. We want the best roadster builds in the nation to show here first. We were thrilled with the winner this past year being a well thought out traditional looking car. (Henry Willet's 32 Ford).

Having a sponsor allows us to increase the cash prize as well as include other perks to be announced. The dates of the GRAND NATIONAL ROADSTER SHOW are January 29-31, 2010. We hope that you will be able to be there.

I look forward to Ryan's Jalopy Journal vote for the traditional car as well!

Talk to you soon.

Fellow HAMBER & GNRS Producer

John Buck

6. Good to see you joined us John! I'll be there again this year,outside the Suede Palace...

7. John Denich

John Denich

I personally think it will weaken the field....since the beginning of time guys have always built their car to win the Ridler, then came back to compete for the AMBR the next year, even the Willet car was a Ridler contender. But we shall see.... maybe its time to build another Roadster...I did the Ridler run already and got my ass kicked by Chip, We shall see this year......how the field is!

8. Yeah roadsters, Since George Poteet's Don Pinkleton built '37 roadster won the the double for the first time (Ridler '96, AMBR '97) this has been the case. Before that AMBR was the most prestigious car show award & cars were built specifically for that.

9. parrot

parrot
    from Colorado

Yeah! It might be nice to have the car shown first at the AMBR, but that new policy did thin out the entries a little. Made the show a little weaker than in the past. Gotta remember, 99% of those walking through the turnstyles didn't get to Detroit or many of the other big shows last year. Seeing top cars is still a "first time" to them.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I hated to see it. It thins out the top notch entries at both shows, and I would like to think that a really special car could've swept both shows.
    The AMBR, once the best award out there began to pale in comparison to the Ridler, so the bold move was made.
    Its gonna be more of an East coast/West coast thing now. Too bad in my opinion.