Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hanging Brake pedal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930 A, Sep 10, 2009.

1. 1930 A

1930 A

I've got a 1930 Model A tudor that I want to put a hanging brake pedal in.
    Any suggestions on what works or doesn't work would be appreciated.
    I'm not too concerned whether the master is on the firewall or under the dash as I don't have any gas tank under the dash anymore.

2. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Just an idea, look at the "Glitter Glitter" or "Diamond Deuce" post of Jeff Norwell's deuce P/U truck. I used Wilwood hanging pedals placed under the dash, however; I cut the brake/clutch pedal, welded the pedals back together straight and then sand blasted the pedals to remove the black paint....

3. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I was thinking about that Willwood setup also, the one with the reversed master cylinders where everything is under the dash. My question is, when you install that setup, how do you check or add brake fluid? You would seem to have to remove the cowl above in order to service it? Maybe I am missing something.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i used a kugal setup in my 34 pick up...i fill it with a small siphon pump from NAPA....pretty easy....

5. turdytoo

turdytoo

They sure do uncomplicate under car exhaust.

6. dirtcop

dirtcop

If you don't mind the master cylinder on the firewall, I used a 55 / 56 chevy swinging pedal setup on my '29' sedan that I cut down a little and made a minor adjustment to pedal arm geometry. Its bolted to firewall and dash and is very sturdy. I used a corvette m/c since I have a disc / drum setup.

7. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

You don't have to remove the cowl..... Just remove the cover and use a small bottle which has the pick up tube in the bottom of the bottle.

Attach a small piece of plastic tubing to the top of the bottle and fill. No problem at all...

8. I think that Ansen made a pretty slick setup that worked real well. I've seen several for sale over the last 6 months or so.

9. 1931av8

1931av8

I have the Wilwood brake and clutch under the cowl of my '31. I had the same concerns, but use the method described above. Also use my Snap-on mirror-on-a-stick to see the fluid level! I need to fab something with the mirror, light, and filler tube. Not easy to service, but totally out of sight and doesn't detract from an otherwise traditional looking set-up.

It is hung on a small diameter tube steel framework that hides under the cowl. Nice, neat installation. I'll see if I have a picture somewhere.

10. 1931av8

1931av8

Here are the pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of this is mocked up in position. All the lines will be run when I get at the interior. There is room behind the stock tank front to take a 90 degree fitting to feed the brakes and clutch (where you see the red plugs now). I am using the stock tank to serve as the dash. The bottom is cut out to allow room for the guages, wiring, etc. You can see that in the last picture. Some of the other methods of grafting in newer dashes may allow for more clearance. This is just proof that it all fits in a cab channeled 4 1/2".

11. About those pedals... call Doug at RENO ROD AND CUSTOM in Oklahoma City (405-813-1932). They sell a complete hanging pedal set up. I'm using floor pedals (Ford truck set) on the roadster but I have seen their unit in the shop and seen one installed in an A car - looks great. Those guys are real helpful!