Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Goofy Car Show Gimmicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monster Rat, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Back in the resto-rod years Posie built a beautiful 34 Sedan with the Greyhound radiator cap. He hooked up a windshield washer pump to the dogs dick. When people walked too close to the car the dog pissed on them by remote control.

2. Spity

Spity

All that gimmicky crap is the only way my buddy can get his wife to go to the car shows with him. He hates it, but his wife is all into setting up that stuff. I think its a fair trade off for him being able to drag home all of the tin he does. Now if your a dude setting that stuff up, their isnt a man in your family.

Its just like everything else in this hobby, if you dont like it look the other way. Me personally you'll never see that crap on my cars.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

you know if the people and their props are having fun who cares.
    It is no worse than the hot rod life style thing.

5. Vorhese

Vorhese

"Orca Betties: please don't lean on my car."

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

Those Orca Betties are a lot more interesting to me than the lawn chair lounging old farts any day. Sure, they might not make the best conversationalist, but it's a SHOW and I like to LOOK. ;)

7. hemi

hemi

I don't like them... thankfully they seem to be in a state of decline.

I REALLY detest a trunk or back seat full of trophies... leave them at home.

Another peeve is a billboard that covers the entire front of the car telling all about it. Small cards or signs are fine, and helpful, but if I can't see the car, what's the point?

8. Hey buddy I been around a long time and I still haven't figured out the cry baby dolls. I even asked an older gentleman at the big summer shin dig in Des Moins and he said he didn't know but everyone else had one.

I think most of the displays are done as a manner of showmanship, its just that some of us would be better suited as a fry cook than a showman.

I'll always probably have a stuffed animal of some sort for a mojo. Hell when I was living on my hawg in the '70s I had a little stuffed bear strapped to my road bag on the bars. I was at a big run with a bunch of dirty no goods out west when one of them asked me what the devil it was. I just told him it was a teddy bear. I guess that was good enough for him he never asked me about it again.

9. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

You're flirting with disaster there , man! Although I've always found Aaron's car displays to be in the best of taste.

10. It is impossible to explain Bad Taste, to someone who has it.

Some people just want to display part of their crap collection.

11. there was a guy here i tucson that had a model a coupe with a remote decklid,when people would walk up behind the car he would open the trunk from across the lot and a stuffed monkey would piss water on you,most though it was funny............

12. People do that??:eek:;)
    I have a Build a Bear my kids gave me. He's dressed like a 50's hood. Leather jacket, white tee shirt, rolled up jeans and red tennies. He's rides shotgun and his name is "Merc". I set him on the steering wheel so he can see. Kids like him. He's special cuz my girls gave him to me.:) It's just something fun and light. Some things are ok and sometimes they are over the top.:rolleyes:. I agree, life is to short.

13. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i hate that stuff especially the crybaby dolls whether they are for them or against them i think its stupid

14. Kerry67

Kerry67

Let me guess.....You and your "Betty" are perfect specimens of the human anatomy.......correct ?

15. I just found a picture of the Acehole's setup at the '05 Detroit Autorama... DANGER! DANGER! signs, a mannekin, monster masks... Just guys being goofy.

So it was kinda fresh in my mind when the 7 post newbie tried to make himself cooler-than-though by denouncing GTO tiger tails (only one year of GTO actually being not OT)... do a search for "Cybaby" and I think he would have found we've covered it before...

Not that I think the crybaby's and stuffed animals are in any way, shape or form "cool", it's just to each his own... Where do you draw the line? Matching model car on the air cleaner = dorky, but 'flaked and striped set of bongos that matches the car is not? How about surfboards on the roof of a wagon... in Kansas?

If we didn't want to show off, why would we build/have these cars in the first place?

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Let me guess.....You and your "Betty" are perfect specimens of the human anatomy.......correct ?

well not so much the anatomy part... it's just fun to say orca betties. but the whole playing dress up at car shows for both men and wimmens just amuses me.

If we didn't want to show off, why would we build/have these cars in the first place?

uh... I do it cuz I like to fiddle with things and enjoy old stuff. I'd be perfectly fine if no one noticed or cared about my old car exploits.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

Ok....but for most it is not dress up it is how people dress in their everyday lives. Is it any different than the Harley riders having to have every piece of clothing have the Harley name or logo on it ??? Harley Boots, Shirt, Belt, gloves, chaps, bandana, etc......????

18. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Perhaps it's not an individual thing. Maybe that's just their style of dress they like. Honestly what straight man is checking out the other guy's pants anyways?

19. I don't normally notice all that stuff at car shows. It just sort of fades into the background--I can see through it.

Sometimes, when my five-year-old son goes with me, he notices some of those stuffed animals and things and decides they're pretty neat. And if they makes him enjoy being at the car show more, I think they're pretty neat, too.

20. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, notice the painted on tiger tail on this GTO.

[​IMG]

21. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Amen.

22. I think those ubiquitous cry babies and now the fake stuffed puppy dogs are the ideas of the women that come to the show.I don't think a guy would put that gay stuff on his car unless his wife told him to "cause its cute".A real man wouldn't even wash his car before showing it!

23. Muttley

Muttley

Sounds like a win-win situation to me, he can leave the stupid display crap and the wife at home. ;) ;)

24. Monster Rat

Monster Rat
    from Casper WY

So a person with 7 posts can't point out shit thats stupid. I suppose I have not been indoctinated into your way of thinking......give me time.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Wow lots of opinions that I like ,anyone ever look at the big picture that a big part of our hobby is the spectators and the people who bring their "gimmicks" only help our hobby, when people look at all of us as teddy bears and not just speed freaks on a suicide mission it kinda helps our cause . Just my 2 cents.:D

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

good lord.................. can we find anything else to gripe/bitch/moan/disagree/complain about:D

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I resent this, I'm unique just like everyone else.

28. The Pontiac GTO ads had a tiger tail hanging out of the trunk, and also some had a tiger sprawled across the hood, so yes, the Pontiac ad referenced above is 100% correct.

29. BinderRod

BinderRod

Where can I get a cry baby doll? My wife wants to do a make over of it with latex, leather, whips and chains.

30. Truckedup

Truckedup

Orca Betty,Orca Betty I hear that on this board.What exactely is an Orca Betty? A picture might be helpful :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.