Register now to get rid of these ads!

Baby Hemi Meets S-10 5 Speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Aug 21, 2009.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Not knowing a hole lot about either one of these I had to "gleen" info from a couple hammers here on the board and than try and make some sense out of it all. Didn't want to spend the bucks for the popular made adapters OR have to fight on E-bay for multiple adapters, sandwiched together to make it happen. Here's what I came up with;
    Parts needed
    Early baby Hemi bellhousing, may also work on others dunno
    S-10 5 Speed,
    Rhino GM clutch kit part #mber 04-054, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, roller pilot bearing. This is a 10 1/2" clutch kit.
    Stock early Hemi truck? bellhousing and fork.
    Stock Hemi truck 11" flywheel.
    Work to make happen;
    S-10 front bearing cover was about a 1/16" to small so I made a weld bead all the way around, chucked up in lathe and turned down to same I/D as bell housing hole. Once turned down that self centered trans to bell and the 4 mounting holes were located and drilled. Before this could happen I filled all stock bell housing threaded holes and flushed flat.
    Next drilled and tapped trans mounting holes.
    Strange as it seems the stock 11" flywheel was also drilled for the Rhino Pressure plate so no drilling and tapping required to mount pressure plate!
    At this time I lightened up the stock flywheel just for the heck of it.
    Now the mock up of all parts showed I need a pilot bushing extension, sleeve for inside new Hemi throwout bearing to fit S-10 sleeve.
    Now the scary stuff, the clutch disc. There was front interference of clutch hub to pilot bearing & extension so I cut the front hub off and welded it to the trans side of clutch using the S-10 splines as a jig so to speak. Even if this is not a good idea at least I have a modified clutch to send off and have made BUT will try this out first.
    Every thing all mocked up it seems to all work together BUT haven't got the '36 ready for a test drive just yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

What cubic inch motor do you plan on runnin? Behind a V8 you probably need a WC T5 to be safe. I hear if you're gonna do much thrashing a T5 aint the way to go, esp in somethin with much power or weight. Sounds like you've done quite a bit of research and work so I hope it works out for you. Good luck

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's set up on a 241 - 270 Hemi right now, in a '36 Ford 3/W, 9" 4:10 rear, skinny rubber, not the kind of car to be thrashing on. Any GM manual should bolt up and work the same I just happened to have the S-10 sittin around taking up space. I have a total of $475 in all parts, trans included, not bad for a 5 speed conversion................

4. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Yeah not bad I'm sure that overdrive will be nice. I'm puttin a T56 in a coupe I'm building now

5. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

How has the clutch disc survived with the "modification?" I got a baby hemi yesterday and already have a T5 and this is a heck of a lot cheaper than an A-dapter kit (in my best Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" voice). I need a bellhousing if anyone has one to spare!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I used a chevy alum. bell with a t-5 S-10 tranny behind my 241 and it works great.
    241's were 150-160 hp...even if it was a 200 hp engine...you would be fine.
    I did however have to cut the coller on the T-5's output shaft...about a 1/2 inch due to the Mcleod slave unit I used.
    Also...with the flywheel.I used a stock Dakota starter in conjuction with the Wilcap adapter plate.
    I use a 10.5 clutch and a 10.5 chev bellhousing
    works very nice.

7. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Jeff,

What flywheel did you use? The Wilcap?

Do you still have the stock bell that came with your 241?

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes, I used the flywheel from Wilcap(chose a steel over aluminum) and there adapter plate.I had no bellhousing from the dodge and used a Aluminum chev stock bell.
    Interesting though..I had to get a 10.5 Chev bell housing over the more popular 11 inch bell housing....I did not there was a difference,.... and there was.
    I have to thank Mr. Pat McGuire for ALL his help and service.

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm wondering what it would take to put a NV 3500 5 speed together with the Wilcap 392-350MT style.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Want to see more updates on this! I'll add it to the Hemi Tech threads also!

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dan.....I would really suggest you call Pat and ask the questions....I had a ton of questions and he always had time for me..... Pat is really super.
    And his products work.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that statement! Pat seriously rules! :cool:

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Brigrat... sorry to hijack your thread...not my intention...
    please let us know how everything has worked out for you.

Jeff

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Jeff,
    No hijacking here, just free flowing idea's!
    I haven't put power to the trans/clutch set up yet BUT I feel confident enough that I am building another same set up. I have it all mocked up, engine, flywheel, starter, clutch/pressure plate, etc. and all works smooth. I even took into consideration clutch wear when figuring clearances! Need more Dodge Bellhousing!

15. I made a very similar adapter plate to put an A833 behind the same bell in my coupe and a 354 hemi. My crank was already machined for a pilot bearing so it was just a matter of finding the right bearing.

[​IMG]

16. 49 Plymouth Cat

49 Plymouth Cat

Will this work on a 1955 270 Super Red Ram?

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Should work with all 241/259/270/276/291/315/325/330/331/341/354/392 Ply/Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler engines from the 50's EXCEPT the 331 Chrysler from '51 thru '53 with the extended bell block. All others have the same block bellhousing bolt pattern

Ray

18. 49 Plymouth Cat

49 Plymouth Cat

Thanks thats what i needed to know.

19. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I got a bell today but it isn't like yours. Supposed to have come from a '54 Dodge but it has several openings covered in wire mesh around the outside. I'll try to get it out and documented tomorrow. I'm hoping I can make it work but may just end up going with the Wilcap setup. I haven't called Pat yet but think its probably the best idea.

Not that I'll ever get to the project I have the engine for...

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm gonna put an S10 T5 behind my Stude for my T. Lots of good info right here.

21. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I did the A-833 conversion like the one KERRY did to my DeSoto.

Easy Conversion & didnt have to spend the $$$ with Wilcap.

As far as i know, The Bellhousing with the Wire Mesh Screens is for an Automatic & wont work with the Manual swap.

22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Figures. Is the auto trans worth having? The gent I got it from may still have it but then I'd need to get a flywheel and converter, I suppose.

23. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

My Opinion ..... No, Stay away from the Automatic.

24. 73RR

73RR

Danimal, if you want to use the t-5 then you will need to find truck bell (sorry, I don't have a difinitive list of short input shaft trans), if you want to use an A-833 then you can use the 6-cyl bell from around 59-62 as they had both v-8 and 6-cyl bolt patterns and it is damn near perfect for the Mopar 4-spd trans. The short input shaft type trans/bells are getting harder to find because more folks are looking.
    If you want/need a 5-speed I can help you with a Dakota swap. No, the adapter is not cheap, but the trans is excellent and still fairly inexpensive at the pic-n-pulls...

25. Dan, i still have it in mind to pull my adapter off and take it over to Bruce from Hull Road Auto and see if he still wants to carve out a couple of adapters from that huge plate of aluminum he has...just been holding off to try and get enough done on the car before i yank the trans,,and to hopefully have a clutch system hangin out when i do....

26. Great Tech! Especially so with used parts and done on a budget! I still have a 325 Dodge that I love to use in something!