Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat Towing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Back in the day hot rodders frequently flat towed their race cars to events like Bonneville. But today everything seems to go by trailer. Except for Geos behind RVs.

Does anyone here flat tow their rides long distance? I've always been told flat towing is not good for driveline components and automatic transmissions in particular.

My Model T is going to have a quick change. And I was thinking it might be practical to flat tow her with the change gears removed. Any thoughts?

2. R Pope

R Pope

Yes, pull the gears or the driveshaft, whichever is easier. We used to tow our stock car with the automatic in neutral and the engine idling, at least to the track. It usually wasn't running for the homeward trip!

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Used to do it all the time. Tow bar and TOWING HUBS on the rear. Towing hubs were a free wheeling hub assembly bolted to the rear axle/brake drum, and regular street tires bolted to the towing hubs. I think they are still sold, but the company name escapes me. I still have a set and my towbar. Did'nt have a front bumper on my 56' Chevrolet bracket cars and the tow bar bolted directly to the frame horns. Had the rear lights on the bracket car wired to the tow car. I never had a problem, but never towed more than about 60 miles. I may have to do it again with my 56' Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. I think the company making the tow hubs was "MAW".

4. Rusty

Rusty

The coolest car hauled I ever seen was a 56 Ford Ranchwagon flat towing a hammered 32 C-Dan. Sure wish I had a digital camera back then and yes the driveshaft was out

5. I flat towed my coupe from Sacremento to Portland sure pulled nicer than a frickin trailer. never knew it was there.

6. we used to flat tow every where some times 6hr one way with towing hubs tail lights wired using a trailer wire kit to plug into tow car the only problem was braking a heavy race car would push big time.

7. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

It worked good until the tow bar came unhooked and whatever you were towing passed you. Not good.

8. MP&C

MP&C

With the traffic out there today, and little regard exercized for someone who is towing something (...I need to get out there before that slow so and so) the biggest advantage to the trailer is the additional braking for the additional load you are carrying. Tow bars and tow dollies won't help out when you do need to make that emergency stop.

9. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I tow my t bucket quite often and have never had a problem.
    I drop the driveshaft as I am running an auto, and I un-hook the the steering on mine. If you have any hint of bumpsteer(which I do), you definitely need to disconnect the steering. If not, when you hit a bump, it will snatch the tow vehicle around. My tow vehicle weighs way more than the bucket, but it will still move it around with the steering hooked up.
    Never tie the steering wheel as I read in another post, the front wheels must be able to turn with the tow vehicle.

10. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

I bought one of the driveshafts that disconnects at the rear. Has a lever inside to do it. Will be towing my 28 chevy behind the motorhome whenever we go somewhere. (when it's finished)My only concern is the effect on the car when I hit an unexpected bump.
    Been flat towing my jeep wrangler for about 20 years now when we travel. Just put the transfer case in neutral and keep an eye on that bearing.
    The shaft was about $600 but I think will be well worth it.
    Jim

11. bobw

bobw

I flat tow now. About 5 years ago I flat towed my Fiat to the drag strip for Test and Tune. When I arrived a small crowd gathered around. I thought they really dug my Fiat. But, they were curious about how I got there without a trailer! I pull the driveshaft to protect the (then Powerglide, now 350th) transmission. The 1.900 car follows along behind my S-10 like they're in love.

12. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

I flat tow our 40 sedan behind our motor home. I use a Blue Ox tow bar with a home made base plate that bolts to the 40 bumper brackets. This tow bar is the type that stows on the tow vehicle and has telescoping arms so its easy to line up (just get within about +/- 6 in. and you're ok).I use an auxiliary pump to circulate the tranny fluid(Ford aod). So far no probs with only a few hundred mi. with the 40. I have used this setup (pump and tow bar) and towed a PT Cruiser many miles. Made a couple trips to west coast, Vegas, etc with no prob. I can send you some pics if you like.
    Ron

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Wasn't the reason to disconnect the driveshaft was because the older transmissions had pumps in the rear? Thats why older cars with auto's could be push started. Newer cars can't be push started.

Other then that, driveshafts are disconnected in case the trans drops into gear.

14. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Gas,Most newer automatics cannot be flat towed unless the car is running.You will cook a trans if you do.

There is a list of cars that can be dingey towed.
    The link is to all the cars that can be and the ones that arent.
    http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

15. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

If you make up your own baseplate and pull the gears from the rear.roadmaster makes a real good aluminum tow bar that will do 6000 pounds.It is there sterling model.Its a little pricey,But just like anything else you get what you pay for.

Attached Files:

16. riverrat

riverrat

we were standing in a restaurant parking lot in florida, when a motorhome flat towing a jeep went by. said jeep dropped in gear. was not a pretty sight. when he got the motorhome stopped you couldnt see either one for the smoke and dust.

riverrat

17. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

You cannot flat tow an auto car because the pump is driven off the engine, and towing the car will spin the tranny w/o any lube.

bad.

18. Abomination

Abomination

There are charts out there showing which auto trans cars that can be flat tower, like the MoPars with the TF 727s with the front pump in 'em that still lubricates as it's towed, etc. These charts are in manuals like CHILTON'S AUTO REPAIR MANUAL, 1964-1971 - COLLECTOR'S EDITION and the like.

~Jason

19. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Most of them are in the link I posted in my first reply.

20. no55mad

no55mad

I flat towed my 40 Chev sedan behind a 69 ElCamino. Big mistake, tried to pull an all nighter across the Mojave. Started drifting off the road at sunup just east of Barstow. Hit the brakes a little too hard, jack knifed then swapped ends real quick, the 40 slid sideways into the curb, went on its side and slid down a 45 degree bank (ElCo remained upright). Really screwed up the 40 roof when it came to rest on the level desert floor. ElCamino's are too light in the back for this heavier 40 Chev - one of my dumber moves!

A co worker was towing a Samari behind his motorhome and it slipped in low gear w/o out him realizing it - his diesel pusher never flinched. He later discovered the side of the engine block and most block internals were missing.

21. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I flat tow Fiats all the time, I just put them in neutral and go. I did disconnect the driveshaft on one once but I've never damaged a transmission otherwise. These are all stickshift cars though, never towed an automatic car anywhere.

22. My brother used to flat tow his 27 roadster (302, c-4) behind his Silverado from Okc, Ok. to Keiser, Arkansas (other side of Jonesboro) and back all the time. 500 miles one way. He always took the driveshaft off. Only problem was making sure the thing was still back there. It was kinda hard to see.

23. Flat towing with a quick change, removing an open driveshaft will be less work than removing the lower QC gear and refilling with oil.
    If anybody has questions about driveshaft disconnect units, PM me after you read the above mentioned towable vehicles. I've built and installed disconnect driveshafts on many vehicles. They're a neat idea, but not without problems. The first, two engagement positions, but the driveshaft can only be balanced in one position. Pick your driving enviroment for the rest.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Learn something new every day. Thanks 35. Always had stick shifts.

25. Dirty2

Dirty2

Heres 1 !!

Attached Files:

26. Rusty

Rusty

Yeap that is it

27. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

I got lucky last year; we found ourselves in a shitty similar situation and flat towed an Econoline from Nevada through the desert and back to the Bay Area over night. It sucked, it was totally unsafe, and I wouldn't do it again. After reading this I realized how close we could have been to having the same problem. I can't imagine how scary that must have been in an El Camino... :eek:

Don't do it, it's not worth endangering yourself and everyone else on the road.

28. ...a buddy and I flat towed a 65 Malibu from California to Illinois over 30 years ago; just unhooked the driveshaft at the rear and tied it to the frame. Only problem was you had to watch where you pulled in to places as backing up was a bitch. It worked then but I'd never do it again now that I have a trailer.
    You don't see much flat towing going on anymore, must be a reason.
    ...anyone wanna buy a good used tow-bar?

29. I flat tow quite often. We use a tow pilot brand tow bar. I have put a vehicle on the wrecker sling and hooked another to the back of it with the tow bar. shure gets some weird looks. Have also put a car on the trailer and another on the tow bar behind . I have a light bar that we put on the back vehicle with brake turn and tail lights. Back in the sixties we would go to Saint Louis and buy rusty junkers real cheap. Would pick a big car like a pontiac bonnivle or buick or a cadillac to be the pull vehicle then pull 3 or 4 more behind that:eek:. Had to stop at the scales aT Corning Ark. The scale guy (his nickname was Jingles) would check for safety chains and look at your paperwork ect.Never had too many problems. You just would need to stop and check your hookups every 50 miles or so. I have looked in the highway rules and regs book and there dont seem to be any laws pretaining to flat towing here in Ark.:) OldWolf

30. Mark

Mark
    from CT

saw this pic a couple years ago. i still laugh. must have been a big diesel pusher , or a completely oblivious driver.

Attached Files: