Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Zephyr Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendary Lars, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I bought this Zephyr recently and am deciding what to do with it, It has nasty rims and is sitting on a 68 Thunderbird chassis thats kinda beat. Trying to decide if I want to
    rip the whole thin gs apart and just totally go crazy on it or what.

[​IMG]

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

I'd put some bias plys on,dump the ass,and drive the hell out of it.I love those,but who don't:D

3. Drop the shit out of it, bias www, un chopped. Then road trip.

4. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

yup agreed the tires and rims are NASTY

5. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I already have one bagged one that I bought off of Lalo the 1940 so kinda thinking let this one kinda ride up high and paint it black.

6. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sound cool,got any pics of your other one?

7. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

8. Interesting. those were unit body cars, I wonder how hacked up it is underneath?

If it's a mess down there, you might want to consider making a frame out of box tubing and re-doing the whole thing. If not, then just clean it up a bit and drive it.

9. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

10. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I have a few pics of the under belly of the beast

[​IMG]

11. hvychvy

hvychvy

12. onedge

onedge

so cool, how can I word this, p/o had a street rodder mentality, so work with what you got, since you have said you already have one you can tail drag. stick w/ your stated plan for it...now I'm jealous of you. Sweet rides have both ways.

13. onedge

onedge

picture of the bottom is nuts on the computer screen. but i take it the pan & mounts the way the p/o did it is not too bad? put up better pics....

14. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

looks kinda stock under there? maybe its just been clipped?

15. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...I doubt that they were a 'unibody' construction with a frame like that...my '46 Lincoln (not a Zephyr) had a frame but the body was factory welded to the frame and I had to tear out the entire floor area to separate the body from the frame.....

16. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Yeah let me take a better camera over there and see if I can get some better shots and resize stuff so its a bit smaller :)

17. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

18. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

19. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

they aren't unibody like cars today. they are like you describe. the body is welded to the frame. the body's are similar to a vw bug where the front end is a part of the body (and subsequently the frame), but the hood, grille and fenders are removable.

20. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Even though the Zephyr is a unibody car you can remove the original frame and either kustomize it or discard it for another. There are several Zephyr guys here on the HAMB that have done it before. I did it to my 37. Check out HAMBer Zephyr3789 for some kool pics also 427henryj has done a frame off Zephyr. Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  21. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

thanks 37 zep I know henry and I love his zephyr for sure !!

22. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That 40 that was Lalo's car came from my uncle Merv Adkins and I believe Henry's car came from Merv and Mike the milkman. All beautiful cars. I just never thought they looked right without the skirts on em but you're off to a good start.

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Ditto.....resize your pictures.

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Lars, Your coupe looks pretty neat as purchased. You say it is on a '68 T-Bird frame ? I have a '57 F-100 sitting on a '71 T-Bird frame. The wheelbase is about 2 inches too long but may not need to modify it. A plus is that you can run about any motor Ford ever built ! Looking forward to your progress as you make your coupe your own !

41 Dave

25. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thanks Guys Monday I will be gutting the Interior, and going over it with my Club members to see what the next plan of attack is :)

26. vein

vein

Get that car up in the air and see what you have going on underneath. If it looks like crap you know what your in for. Then get that car some WW's and some hupcaps, lower, smooth out the body, and chop it. Whats hanging out under the picture on the left there? Nice ride!

27. GaryC.

GaryC.

Here's an illustration I did a while ago.
    Maybe you'll get some ideas going with it.
    Nice car!

Attached Files:

28. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Gary that is a sick Drawing, like the paint Idea... very cool....

29. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Ok So this project is now a bit further along, Decided to go full out on it and ordered a Art Morrison Chassis for it. SLung it over the hill to San Jose to have Gambino work his magic on it, and it needs a lot of magic, the car was pretty much crapo after they tore the body off, it is a Unibody so was quite a bit of work to get it all out of there.

30. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The first zephyr and to me THE ZEPHYR is green, chopped and on hyd,,seen it in paso,after that there has been a ton done, Jim Wagamons gets a lot of ink lately, stock body, updated drive line. When I got mine it was a real pile, so I went crazy, that 39 is a nice piece to start with. Roger