Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Big Olds Big Cross Country Adventure 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a cool video I took of Stable Steve's Cobra running but I must not have uploaded yet. Will edit and post asap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the highlite! This is the lakester the boys have been ferishly working on for over a year now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys were kinda enough to walk me through the whole car and explained everything
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The guys then said hop in and try her on for size
    [​IMG]

Then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to drive it next year during Speed Week!!!!!! WHAT??!!?? I couldn't believe my ears! I was choked up with emotions. They said all I need is a firesuit, helmet, gloves, bootie things, etc. WOW, I'm a lucky, lucky gal!
    [​IMG]

perfect fit....almost as if it was made for me :D
    [​IMG]

I certainly don't understand someone building a race car for themselves and not being able to fit inside it properly.
    [​IMG]

The boys had to bribe me to get out of the car with promises of Stable Steve meeting us at the house for dessert. A quick tour of the rest of the shop
    [​IMG]

The guys show movies on the shop wall for the neighbors every now and then
    [​IMG]

Love these cabinets
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back to Chaz's place we stopped by this new "subdivision"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The homes were amazing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stable Steve AKA Aceguy stopped by after his evening of demo deby and we all had a piece of yummy homemade pie
    [​IMG]

It was wonderful seeing you boys again. Thanks so much for showing me alittle of your wonderful world
    [​IMG]

After the guys left, Chuck, his wife and I had a nice conversation then we all hit the sack. I spent alittle time with my new Roth friends in my room then had sweet dreams all night.:D

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Monday August 17th
    Missoula, MT to Jackson "Hole", WY

The next morning Chaz and his lovely wife Beth bid me farewell and safe journey. Thanks so much to both of you for the extremly warm hospitality. I really enjoyed my visit and look forward to seeing you both again very soon.
    [​IMG]

I stopped by Steve's hardware store to say goodbye and get a quick tour. Yep, normal hardware shop. Nice seeing you again sweetie
    [​IMG]

Then I was off, heading east
    [​IMG]

After a short jaunt east I headed south on a two laner. I'm heading toward the west entrance to Yellowstone. Somewhere along this two laner this cool junkyard caught my attention. The was so much cool looking stuff that I just had to turn around for a snoop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yeah, I've had a hood fetish lately :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm kinda bummed now that I didn't pick this trike up for yard art
    [​IMG]

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

Denise, really enjoying following your latest adventure. Great medicine while at home recuperating.
    Russell

6. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Well there's the wagon you need Denise!

7. You beat me to it!

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I know, to bad it's so far away. :(

PLEASE make sure you give him a big ol hug and kiss from me:D

Are you going to tell him of your new plans for it since it's not going on Large Marge now??

Glad I could be of service sweetie. I've got a another full week to add so stand by.

10. better then the travel channel !!!

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I could have stayed there all day but I had hundreds of beautiful miles to cover before nightfall so I headed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you take the two lanes toward to west entrance you go in and outta Yellowstone a couple of times

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the actual town of West Yellowstone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ranger at the gate was very nice and informative
    [​IMG]

13. duffman

duffman

I Hope that stretch of road construction wasn't too rough on Big Olds

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

OMG it was awful........ I had to go so slow. Many times I had to pull over and let floks pass and construction vehicles. The construction guys were really sweet though and kept apologizing an d telling me how much longer. It took me many extra hours.:(

On the postive side I was traveling so slow I got to really absorb the scenery without pissing off the folks behind me cuz they really empathized and verbally told me so as they slowy passed me.:D

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great story so far, glad you made it home ok, Is big olds worn out yet?

16. Denise- It was really good to see you at the drags. You put the desire to do the road trip in so many people (me included). Thanks a bunch for sharing your adventures and the cookies even though they were not of your making. See you again soon I hope.
    Later,
    Dick

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm assuming this is an eagles nest
    [​IMG]

Some kinda four legged animal out there.
    [​IMG]

Had one of my favorite CD's in for traveling thru one of my most favorite parts of the country
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. duffman

duffman

Wow, I don't know if you'll be able to fit all of your Yellowstone trips in the new scrap book :p

19. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Me too! Great Job! I love that you drive the heck out of your car.

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Not only is Big Olds worn out but I am as well. Got home at 1am this morning from Mo-Kan and had to be at work at 8am:eek: You were the smart one hitting the sack early on Saturday night for your long drive.;)

If my adventure thread inspires just one person/family to hit the highways and byways of our great country in their hot rod then I feel all the time and effort invested on my part is well worth it. Thanks so much for showing your appreciation.

Oh yeah, HAMB member Jess is the one that made all those yummy cookies this past weekend. Thankfully she had them or I would have been up a creek without a paddle as far as Carl was concerned.:D

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I been thinking about that antique scrapbook lately (alot of time to think and reflect on a trip like this ;) ) and since I think it looks like it has a 60's vibe to it I'm going to print the Yellowstone photos with a 60's type look. It'll be a winter project. I'll bring the scrapbook done to Speed Week next year for your viewing pleasure.:D

22. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Well done Denise. What an incredible trip.
    It was really nice to meet you at the Canadian Rodder m&g in Spokane.

23. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Wow, spectacular shot! Great trip report Denise! I really hope to get to meet you again some day, been a long time since last time.
    [​IMG]

24. duffman

duffman

I'll be there!!! This time in a Hot Rod.

25. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Denise, I think it's safe to say that your a inspiration to ALL HAMBer's and we All admire what you and BIG OLD'S do on your road trips.
    Great job !!!
    Rob

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Denise, my brother, Dan, and I have been rod running thru this country for over 30 years now (started in 1977 in my '40 Stude and my bro's '47 Chevy Aerosedan)...we've seen more of this wonderful country thru the windshield of a hot rod or kustom than my Dad ever did (he drove 18 wheelers)...and he was our inspiration for driving vacations...our family drove everywhere when I was a kid...no air travel for us.

We've been into and thru 40 of the 48 contigous states and there is wonderful scenery in EVERY state...and two lanes are still where real Americana lives....NOT on the interstate...

Bravo for your travelogues...and bravo for sharing your adventures...

R-

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Denise .
    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop and visit the Strange Day crew in Missoula. It was an honor. You and yours are welcome back anytime.
    A non HAMB buddy of mine was at breakfast the following Thursday and said "Who owned that beautiful Olds that was parked in your driveway"? It was fun telling him the whole story. You're a treasure!

28. "This is the house next door that Chaz also owns that use to be a garage and he made it into a two story home. Also very cool inside."

Who in the WORLD would make a perfectly good garage into a HOUSE???

I can see makin a house into a garage....,but.........?

;o)

JG

Attached Files:

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This waterfall is one of the more popular picture taking spots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of flowers all over the side of the roads
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The south entrance of the park
    [​IMG]

At this point the road gets really nasty with road contruction.....really nasty:(
    [​IMG]

Seemed like almost every person traveling was in an SVU and the gravel and soft spots didn't phase them at all.
    [​IMG]

I was traveling between 5 and 10 mph for a couple of hours:eek:
    [​IMG]

The Grand Tetons in the background. The way to view this park is actually traveling northbound from Jackson so you see it in the morning.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do I know the bear was there??? Cuz there were hords of people pulled over to the side of the road and rangers keeping the people back from the bear AND out of traffics way. Kinda funny, like many others if there was no one there I would have never spotted it. Could see it better with the naked eye then with my camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally made it into Jackson, a couple hours later then planned
    [​IMG]

Had a quick bite to eat at the Cowboy bar. It was ok but I won't eat there again. Four visits to Jackson "Hole" WY in five years and I have still not had a meal there that I've been thrilled with.
    [​IMG]

I've stayed at the Antler Motel the last three times. I like the fact that you park right outside your room. There is no reasonable priced places to sleep in Jackson.
    [​IMG]

Shortly after settling in I got a phone call from HAMB member 54Earl who lives in Idaho Falls about 80 miles away. Him and his family drove in earlier in the day just to meet me and check out Big Olds! How cool is that! We had a wondeful visit.
    [​IMG]

Thanks SO much for making the effort. You guys made a rather boring night in Jackson very entertaining. I really enjoyed meeting the whole family and having the opportunity to get to know you guys. Hopefully next time I'm in the area I'll have the time to take you up on your offer to visit you at your place. Thanks again for calling.
    [​IMG]

30. Deadbird

Deadbird

Awesome pics as usual Denise. Gotta show these to my wife and get her inspired for our cruise west (someday). Hope you can give me directions to that junk yard. I've got a thing for Starliners. That would make a sweet long haul cruiser, huh? Besides, I know where I can borrow a truck and trailer now. :D

Sure was great visiting with you Sunday. Jesse's gonna be bugging you for a ride at the Pile Up now.