Register now to get rid of these ads!

hidden CD player in plain sight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Ive made a version of this with old tissue dispensors,I used a piano hinge........check any hardware store

2. NO!.......thats 45 year old stuff there

3. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Hinges and such, go to McMaster-Carr... The engineer's best friend. If you can think it up, they got it, and it's cheap. Lots of options available.

If it get's too hot in there (I honestly doubt it will, some factory installation areas are TIGHT! And not vented or anything), get a little 12V fan for a computer or something. They can be pretty quiet and they'll do the trick, you don't even need a real big one. I have over a 1000W worth of amps built on a rack I built inside the rear console of my Lincoln, use a couple fans in the old vent holes to cool them and have never had them shut down.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, that is cool. But, these days, you might be more worried having that stolen than a CD player. :eek: They might bust you door open to get that and then be pissed to just find a crappy CD player inside. Regardless, looks WAY better than a crappy CD player. So, I say thumbs up and worth taking the chance.

5. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

I like this idea!

I like what you did as well. Looks nice. Gives me some ideas.

6. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

that's pretty neat.
    I just ran an rca cable out of an amp and plugged my i pod into it...
    I hid the amp in the glove box and the two speakers behind the speaker grille in my 51 chevy...
    It's another stealth stereo...not as innovative as your idea but pretty effective ..

7. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

That's how my Galaxie's set up, works great. I had 2 factory speaker holes how it was, used them, put an amp under the seat, ran the RCA-headphone plug out and just keep my Blackberry on my lap while I'm driving.

8. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

9. metalman

metalman

I did a tech thread awhile back on building a "tissue box" to hide my cd player. Gotta admit I like this 8 track player better! I think because a hot rod wouldn't usally have a tissue box (just gramma's car) but almost anyone into cars have added the current for the time music upgrades! Hard to believe 8 tracks were the hot ticket in mobile sound at one time!

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't think anyone is going to steal an eight track player,i've tried to give them away in the past with no luck.

11. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Hell, no one even bothers GIVIN' them away anymore... I'd actually like to pick one up for my home theater because I do have lots of good tapes I bought when I had one (I have at least 20 each Elvis and Johnny Cash, and I have a T-Rex tape that kicks some ass), but damn, I just gotta look at people's garbage when I'm driving around. Same way I got furnature in college.

The nice thing about the just the straight wiring up to an amp is not needing to "upgrade" to switch sources. I don't even listen to MP3's since I downloaded Pandora for my Blackberry.

12. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

well done man, thats a rad idea.

13. This is what I did for my 49 Plymouth.

Attached Files:

14. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Nice thinkin! I was thinking of using a tissue dispenser for mine.

15. Wow, now there's a memory shaker. I had one of those too. The cassette sound quality through the adapter wasn't quite as good as the 8's but filled the gap.
    [​IMG]

I had a Craig/Pioneer 4+4 8-track in high school.
    [​IMG]

Shortly after that, cassettes came out but I refused to change because I had so many good tapes. There was also 8-track to FM radio adapters, it looked like a tape but had a small radio dial and a receptacle to plug in your antenna.

Kinda funny, after I 'moved up' to cassettes, I needed more power because I got a pair of speakers out of a juke box. I bought a little 20? watt add-on amp that had bass & treble controls.

Now, the front speakers were drowned out so I added another matching amp for the front. This was before faders. By the time you got everything adjusted just right, the song was over.

16. WOW....... that's very nice!

17. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Where can I hide the GPS in my Model A? Ha Ha

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  18. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Great job! I was thinking of doing this very thing, but I decided I didn't want anything hanging under the dash. I have no interior in my car, so I thought it might be a fun challenge to hide an amp and some Ipod wiring in there somewhere. A little OT, but when did those pipe organ speaker covers first show up - '60s or '70's?

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Years ago a friend got a new CD player with the removable anti-theft face and he hard-wired (soldered ends) the face-plate to the hidden CD player in the trunk. He ran the wires under the carpet and up onto the middle of the seat from the back. The face-plate was thin and unoticable when laying in the seat with the latest issue of Hop Up on top of it.

This concept allows for a ton of cool hidden installs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  20. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, some Slim would be good .... or maybe you could luck onto some Zamfir (the pan flute guy).
    That'd get some comments! :rolleyes:

21. Wow
    the free boxes at swaps and garage sales have alot of simular tape players and... C.b.'s even older style add on a/c units

years ago i hid my modern players under the seat and got pretty good at doing it by feel but getting the car in a flash flood stopped my whole aftermarket stereo buying all together ...i'm old a.m. Talk radio is makin a come back wait and see

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

23. Zamfir....... traditional........

If I showed a Zamfir tape on here I'd probably get banned from the HAMB for life

24. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Slim or none!

25. You ain't kiddin' - like 6 years ago I bought an 8-track at the Salvation Army thrift shop marked "A Tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd" on some unknown label. It took me two years to find an 8-track player to see just what was on it - and only then because on trash night a neighbor put one out to the curb. Which I promptly scooped up.

But then I have a lot of stuff like that, when I was a kid we used to drive around just before junk day and see what we could find. I still have a fairly decent Harmon Kardon FM tuner/amp someone tossed, for a home stereo. And I once spent about 4 hours going through a junk pile to dig out about 85% of the pieces to an AMT Ala-Kart kit...

Oh yeah, the tape? A bootleg of the real deal, with some other sounds mixed in to try to hide it or something. I was expecting a bad cover band.

26. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

Very COOL!
    Heres a couple pics of my tissue box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. I thought about a tissue dispenser, which by the way looks perfect in your '57 but it was kinda' out of place and/or too nice to be in my old truck.

28. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Pretty cool. I wanted to do this in my bomb with an old Chevy tissue box dispenser. But, I think its not going to fit after seeing how tight the fit on yours is; and the tissue box holder is even narrower than that.

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

No sooner do I post and then find this at the end of the thread. Dohh!!:eek:

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

now if anyone has a sixties van you can hide a lot inside of a reel to reel player lol.