Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH -- How to make a Model A RPU Quarter Panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justheman, Jul 7, 2009.

1. justheman

justheman

For my Tech write up I decided to show how I have been trying to make a model a quarter panel. This is my first tech write up so don’t go to hard on me. I didn’t finish it but you get the idea. So I started with standard piece of Sheet metal. The first thing I had to do was measure 5 and ¼ inches down, this is where I would roll the bead, the bead is put there as the bottom of the belt line. Using my Poor quality Beadroller it takes quite a while to do as I dont have a sweet power roller like the Baileigh one ;)

[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]
    Next I cut out the panel about 30 inches total so that I have some room to spare. I measure 21 inches from the bottom of the belt line and put a break in the panel.
    [​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]
    Using my jig that I made for the bottom roll I flip the panel upside down and tighten the Jig down so that I can create the bottom roll. I roll it up by hand moving a few inches at a time. I then measure and put a break in the roll to match the factory qt panel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. justheman

justheman

Once I have created the bottom of the qt panel finished I move up to the top and finish my two other bends the first being 2 and 1/2 inches from the belt line and the second being 1 and 1/4 inches from the last bend

Now I have the overall look of the qt panel. Next I cut out two pieces of sheet metal that I traced to have the same contours as the panel. [​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]
    I then use my Poor quality Shrinker/Stretcher (Sure could use a Baileigh Shrinker Stretcher that would help out quite a bit) To make the contour match the old qt panel. I do that twice the second side I do it with a piece that I put in two breaks so that can flush fit my doors but without the breaks I would have a stock qt panel. I then Tack the ends in place. Where I will later finish welding and cut and trim any left over areas. [​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]

My quarter panel has been extended to 15 inches so to make up for the extended cab that my grandfather wanted. Here is the finished product and it next to a reproduction qt that i put an extension on.
    [​IMG]<br>[​IMG]

Now I just need to repeat the step one more time for the other quarter and then make two new door skins. which if anyone wants to see I will write up a tech article when I do.
    Please let me know if you have any questions comments or want any other photos or measure ments.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

4. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

Really nice. I love it when a non pro does something
    like this. It says that if I try I can too. Thanks.
    Matt

5. cretin

cretin

Looks good. This is the stuff I like to see in tech week, home garage ingenuity.

6. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Great Tech!
    Yes,
    please post another article on the doorskins.

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

Awesome! Where do I send payment?

8. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Good stuff there! Please post the making of your doorskins also...

Steve

9. justheman

justheman

I will definetly do that when I get around to making them, my hope is that I win the contest :rolleyes: (high hopes) so I can show the difference between the tools I was using and a baileigh tool.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

11. Very excellent....Carl Hagan

12. chop&drop

chop&drop

Great tech. Shows that a lot can be done with a little. A little skill, a little patience, a little encouragement and a little bit of equipment.

13. justheman

justheman

I have looked at that thread so many times I will definetly be looking at it alot more when i go to make my doors and door skins as I have to make everything 2 inches longer.

14. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Just curious, how much time is in the panel? How much in the fixtures?

15. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

you did a good job but i think you need to mention the tech sponsors name a few more times lol

16. justheman

justheman

I spent about 2-3 hours on the qt panel and that included making the jig... but that was my 5th attempt or so at making them to finally get it the way i liked it....

17. BigRed390

BigRed390

Nice work! I'm stealing your ideas for home-made tools. Love the ingenuity!

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

very nice,would love to see door job as well,thanks for showing.:D

19. Saturday night zombie thread

20. Roupe

Roupe

Nice work! What gage steel are you using?

21. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

nice job. would actually like to see a video of the metal being bent in the jig. im having a hard time wrapping my head around your jig. not fully understanding how its working. thanks chris