Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. colesy

colesy

John Mauks of Team Mauks-Mecke-Tische and their Mid Park Chrysler/Plymouth sponsored H/SA Valiant at the 1966 NASCAR Winternationals in Florida.

Attached Files:

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

After being absent from the Stocker scene for decades, there are a couple of 273 cubic inch Valiant Stockers and a Super Stocker on the track today. To see the stockers, go to www.autoimagery.com and search for Paul Wong and Angela Bushmaker. Paul's car is a 4-speed and is run with either a 2 bbl or 4 bbl carb.

"That which passes by once may be expected to eventually reappear" or "what goes around, comes around".

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Famous West Coast Jr Stocker from the early sixties. Yes it is a southern California car. Be first to identify it

Attached Files:

4. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Val Headworths old 283 4-speed car?

5. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Looks like Boertmans yellow one but I dont think he was from California. I ran one in 66, they classified at 19.01 with a 283/185 4 speed in Miami with 2 other guys

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

As I mentioned earlier about foreign cars thay used to let a guy run a 3 cylinder 2 stroke Saab in Miami in Jr Stock. We caught him cheating running the 3 carbs and Rally porting while claiming the 1 carb horsepower. He bragged to my partner when he went to his shop about it, not knowing we ran against him. Never saw it again after that. We sent away to Saab for info on the motors available.

7. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Gotta love this thread!

How about when Judi Boertman ran that 383 Coronet wagon in the early 1970s? It was like factory participation in the "little guy" class IMO.

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's Boertman's 'old' wagon (reconfigured as a Super Stock) with its next owner. I took this shot around 71-72. I 'think' it was @ Englishtown, but I'm not sure ... .

Attached Files:

9. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Yes Terry that is correct, but I was looking for the original owner in the early sixties.

10. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Some time back some one asked about the "Janitor" a 1957 sedan delivery. I believe this to be Gary Freudendahl of San Pablo, Ca, the K/SA winner at the 1969 Winternationals.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  11. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Ted did a nice article on our wagon that was published in the Dec. 1968 issue of Super Stock Magazine. It would be nice to see him again after about 40 years.

12. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Hummmm, I think that was before my time. I satrted going to the track here on the east coast and reading everything I could get my hands on in 1960-61.

13. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I was there for this photo session. It was less engine. Engine was not done and magazine had a deadline. Photos were taken at Santa Anita Raceway horse track. There was a 180 pound guy under the hood trying to hold it down . Not me.

14. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Gorgeous wagon, I still have the old Car Crafts documenting the build. Where is it now? And where is Joe?

15. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Not before your time, Terry. Clue 1961 and 1962 Winternationals.

16. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

More 1969 Winternationals pics. One of the best pictures I have seen of the Barkley and Ripes 1957 Chevy.

Attached Files:

17. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

That picture is later than the early 60's. I see Firestones on the back. Until I saw that I was thinking Bill Casler.

18. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I will have to look it up. I remember Terry Prince running a 1960 Belaire 348 car tuned by "Dyno" Don at the 61 Winternationals. Guess I have C.R.S.

19. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Gary you are the winner. Bill Casler, John Mountjoy, Val Hedworth car with a lot of different drivers.

20. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

What a great picture. Thanks Tony!
    Bob Rice

21. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I have no idea where the car is . Joe sold it less engine after they took his 4 speed away. Joe is still in Van Nuys building Hemis for DeFrank. I talked to him on the phone last week.

22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Gary, didn't you and Joe build/campaign a Road Runner together in the early 70's?

23. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

From the 1969 Hot Rod Meet at Riverside, one of my favorite cars Larry Walkers blown 57 Ford 300 coupe

Attached Files:

24. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Yes. It was competitive but would not outrun a wagon like the Beachy Bros. It was a Hot Rod Mag project car with help from Chrysler.It was a 1972 with a 400 engine.

25. colesy

colesy

Gary Glover Wrote;
    "I was there for this photo session. It was less engine. Engine was not done and magazine had a deadline. Photos were taken at San Anita Raceway horse track. There was a 180 pound guy under the hood trying to hold it down . Not me."

Now that's what makes this thread Rock! Stories like that are priceless. Thanks Gary!<!-- / message -->

26. colesy

colesy

Great photos Tony! Thanks a bunch for posting them. Nothing like a couple of rare color photos to excite things up a bit!

27. jkperformance

jkperformance

Interesting that Walkers car has a 58 hood on it. In Division 3 Marty Barratt would have sent that sliding on its roof back to the trailer. He most likely could have popped off the part number for a 57 hood from memory. He was a pain but he was the best number man ever.

28. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Perhaps the East coast rule book and the west coast rule book existed even back in the day ! LOL

29. I saw that too.That was probably too late in the 60's to be part of at AHRA deal out there, right Tony?

30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Tony Janes and I have debated the presence of '58 hood several times since he dug up that picture a week or so ago. Of course, that was in a era when "mild customizing" was permitted in both rule books (east and west, Terry). Remember the two-pound grill in the Monster Mash? Walker's car also seems to have a custom tubular grill because I can't locate the parking lights, either. I would suspect that the modifications were not contested because old-timers out here clearly recall the stories about the on-going scrutiny focused on Walker's car. I've heard Bill Nelson describe the times that Farmer Dismuke rode as a passenger through the pits in Larry's blown car with a boost gauge attached in an effort to devise some way to fit a square peg in a round hole and level the playing field. If they could have come up with a good way to hassle that car, they would have done it. The use of a wrong hood would have been waaay too easy. I doubt that anyone saw it as an issue.

Here we are, forty years later and there still isn't a way to deal with the issue of "unnaturally aspirated" combinations, right Mark? The blown Stude of Gordon Williams, the blown '57 Fords, the turbo combinations campaigned by the likes of John and Marka Gallina, Neil Smedley, Mark Yacavone (all of them are good people that I'm happy to call my friends) are trumped in today's world by the Ford factory 2008 Cobra Jets. No one has ever come up with a good way to equal things out when a blower is involved.