Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruising returns to Van Nuys Blvd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vncruiser, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Those guys in the east valley (Burbank, Glendale, Sun Valley) want to caravan over for the cruise?

2. Sun Valley in Da HOUS:p. Where you be?

3. I thought it was 300 feet from burbank

4. what time you thinking of leaving?

5. 300 feet from Burbank "IS" Sun Valley:D. At least, my chunk of it;)

6. the 8th, 15th, or the 18th?:eek:

7. horatiocaine

horatiocaine

Bash, Regarding the Van Nuys Blvd "Bobs" I always thought the "Lamplighter Restaurant"
    on Van Nuys Blvd at Otsego St is the same building that Bobs was in, am I wrong?
    Andy

8. Bash

Bash

Yes, the Lamplighter was called something else back then, the name escapes me at the moment. It was always crowded after hours. It had a bar, and the restaurant was open 24hrs.

Bob's Big Boy Drive-in was located at the corner of Clark St. & Van Nuys Blvd.

9. East Valley caravan start at the Donut shop at Vedugo & Olive in Burbank behind Mikey D at 7PM sound ok for July 8th? Then head to Burbank Blvd and head west to Van Nuys.

10. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

Is Rydell still going to be generous and let us congregate in their lot again? I saw that people left a lot of trash laying around and that is WRONG! I hope that doesn't lose us the privilege of gathering there. Pack it in, pack it out. We weren't raised in a barn (at least I wasn't)!

11. don't know about the rest of you but im going to all 3!

12. elrobo818

elrobo818

refreshin my memory...

fifteenth is the rat fink thing?

eighteenth is the other guys cruise?

(i kno i need a friggin calendar...)

13. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

That was the only complaint from Rydell....We need to police ourselves and this has been discussed...If you bring it in you can take it out....It's really simple but there are always people that just don't get it...
    Working on that issue...But if people get out of the lot and onto the street where they should be, that will be greatly reduced...
    I am going to be hitting all the food places along the street this week. Give them the warning...We'll be back! now if they gear up for us, we need to patronize them....And create hang outs like before...(Jack's, etc)....And...that solves the bathroom problem..(this was talked about before also)
    We've only done this once, so each time is going to be a new adventure and hopefully growth...
    And the VNCA shirts and stickers are coming!! Been told we'll have them before the 8th...A big thanks to MCM for the logo design....And to Mrs El Robo for another great flyer...Passed out about 150 flyers at Bob's on Friday...

14. july 8th VNCA cruise

july 15th the flier that says "crooze" just a flier no one knows who started this? but its everywhere

july 18th mike shaw MIKE WHO???

15. Bash

Bash

Hot Rod Bob,

Sorry for not answering your note, I think everybody here has in some way had Van Nuys Boulevard tattooed in their brain cells. But, talking about Van Nuys Blvd. we are. If you want to talk off the HAMB contact me through my website www.kentbash.com or maybe we will run into each other at the next cruise. I will likely drive my roadster so keep an eye out for it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. rev106

rev106

I'll throw a dustpan and broom in the back of my truck.

17. alanrw

alanrw
    from SoCal

....Alex, what is Corky's?

alan

18. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

I got an email from a friend of mine who is an LAPD detective in the Valley. He tells me that LAPD will be out in "full force" and will be citing for registration, tinted windows, no front plate, and any other violations that they see. Let's not give them any reason to write tickets. MAKE SURE YOUR REGISTRATION IS PAID UP or leave your car at home! Remember, if your tags are 6 months or more expired, the cops can tow your car on the spot and you take a cab home. It's not worth the risk, plus, the fees for overdue DMV are out of sight! Pay on time, it's a no brainer. The State is hurting, pay your fair share.

I just wanted people to have this heads up ahead of time so there are no surprises. I got this right from the horse's mouth. Also, might not be a bad idea to carry some donuts (bribes) LOL!

19. alanrw

alanrw
    from SoCal

Ah, just like the good old days. I guess the honeymoon is over........

:cool:

alan

20. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

And Centrailia, Wash., upon recently getting electricity AND running water, was FRICKIN HOPPIN on Fri. & Sat. night.
    And late nite "ACTIVITIES" were held in the country.
    Lets just say "Sepulveda and Plummer" does exsist up here.
    The NW does breed some radical racers besides some smooth street rides.:D:cool: And the females up here are the frickin bomb! They ride as hard as any man, be-leeb dat.

21. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Bitchin shots and I remember seeing the HOLLYWOOD foothills from my front porch (13957 Terra Bella, 1951-1964) in 1951 and the smell of strawberry fields,orange groves, lemon groves, lime groves and the greatest top soil in the world. The mixture of aroma's was to die for. Up here it's pine tree's and all the nice things we didn't have (aroma wise) in Pacomia. Hell, it's been so long (1977) I can't remember how PACOIMA is spelled. What does Pacoima mean anyway? Anyone know?

22. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

He speaks!!!!

23. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Here's one that's still alive up in the GREAT NW, GASSERGARAGE.:eek: It sat all night long without a peep, so I don't know if it ran. Musta had a Chevy in it, ya think.:p:confused::rolleyes:;):eek::D

24. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Have we found GARY YET!!!???

25. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

I'd get one but they aren't issuing paper money up here in Washington yet and the mail only comes every 6 months, weather permitting. Lost 3 good postal workers to indian uprising. Need help! Send Rin Tin Tin! HELP! Fading fast, saw a chevy engine in a chevy, I know I'm dying now, forsure, forsure. Does everyone in the valley have guts????? You'd think that with all the people runnin chevy's and workin on them all the time, under the car, over the fender, tryin to burp that Volvo they beat day before yesterday, out of their tailpipe, that they'd be fit? Hmmm. Just havin fun with you Calif. rodders.

26. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Pretty close to true.
    They came to us in '71 and promised us a dragstrip in the Sepulveda Basin if we would organize and stop street racing. Hence the start of the ACCVN (Associated Car Clubs of Van Nuys).
    They lied, not the street cop, the higher ups (AKA Captain Judd ( Piece of......)).
    Was a GREAT assoc. for two years (27,000 strong)and us racer's and the cruiser's fell for it, lock, stock and barrel.
    This was also the time that "Hollywood Nights" was filmed, "Alhoa Bobby and Rose" and many eposoides of "Adam 12", plus more, using the ASSOCIATION and their cars.
    It was really nice being one with the street cops which by the way raced their squad cars at the "STREET MACHINE NIGHTS" (SMN)that were held at the old IRWINDALE dragstrip.
    So many cars showed at all 4 of the SMN's that we had to continue the racing on Sunday and it was also the FIRST time that lowriders and racers hung out togeather.
    Big Willie and Tomiko (RIP) gave me so much valueable insight that without them we (The Accoc.) could not have put on such FANTASTIC events.
    The low rider scrape contests were SO off the hook that one of the low riders had a metalurgist for a father and he had skid plates that showered one color to the next, turned around and laid rainbow sparks all the way back!! UNBEATABLE! UNBELIEVIBLE!
    Sponsor's (Cragar, Rocket, PRIVATELY owned Speed Shops, (Super Shops was mail order back then) etc., etc. etc.) called US to donate to this wonderful idea, cops and cruiser's, who'da thunk.
    Now if I can just find those pictures for Groucho and gasserfred!!!
    Ah, the mid-'70's:rolleyes:
    Fred Badberg? Why does that ring a bell? Fuel altered BADBERG?

27. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Welded to their chairs? You kill me Groucho!

28. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Yeah Groucho, bet there's a lot of change on the floor of your shop that you can't pick-up. Enough for a couple of TOMMY BURGERS. At 63 I take the same pride in my body and health as I do my hot rods and race cars. But hey, that's me. We all love you you cute lil chubby hot rodder. Just messin with ya. You go boy!! I think mzchevelle is worried about you and it's high time someone did! LOL.

29. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

5'10"?????? What are you gonna be when you grow up? :D
    Just a LARGE? Well hell that ain't bad kid. I retract my previous statement. I must go eat some more humble pie. It start'n to taste like liver! Maybe mzchevelle has a cure for my big mouth? Well of course she does, she's a female and any man that has even a bit of smarts knows she can cure just about anything (including me living another day!):D

30. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

One day, we are at lunch when one of the New Jersey guys says "hey, any of yooze guys (that's how they talked) ever cruise Van Nuys Blvd.?". Well, I went on to say that growing up 2 miles from the blvd. allowed me to cruise for quite a few years. The stories of the girls, Bob's, the racing, the cruising, the entire deal kept these guys transfixed for the entire lunch period. The few other guys from SoCal also jumped in with great stories as well.

After that, they never made fun of us again. I guess we had made to the place they could only dream about.

alan[/QUOTE]

That's about the way it happened when I was in Tenn. in '68 - went with a partner up to Ohio to visit his family on a weekend pass from the base and when his sister and all her friends found out that I was from So. Cal and that I cruised V.N. Bl., They wouldn't leave me alone and wanted me to go to the burger shop, the mall, and just about any place where they could show me off to their friends. The only problem was that this went on all weekend, not just a lunch period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.