Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. agtw31

agtw31

anybody remember this car?

[​IMG]

2. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

That has to be the quickest and fastest Jr. Stocker ever!

Oh wait that's not a Jr. Stocker.

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

"Oh wait that's not a Jr. Stocker."

It's cool, nevertheless. No complaints here.

Pete

4. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Yes except there's a cool Ford Thunderbolt thread already going === :eek:)

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Raceway Park, Englishtown 1968

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/cKVwc9C0YCc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/7WoF_Hfvhes&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/XU0BUFg1CxA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

</EMBED>
    ENJOY!

Pete </EMBED>

6. Bob Nottingham

Bob Nottingham

Yes that is mike Boyers car, With Mike senior looking on and Mike
    Jr. under the car. some great memories. Bob

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Oh well, nobody's perfect. :)

Pete

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yes, those are for Chevelles, GTO's, 442's. Totally bolt on version of "shortened" ladder bars. We used to use locally made "Cricket Bars"; they used the stock shock mount, with the welded on bar, and clamped to the spring at the forward spring eye. They still turn up at the local swap meets. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Herdez

Herdez

Not to change topic but heres my input.
    Those are chevelle/gto/olds ladder bars. We had a set on a 71 Chevelle that took the holshot on a GMC typhoon on the street way back when...lol! and thats hard to accomplish with a big block on a twolane blacktop stretch.

search other threads for this topic some people use them on tri 5's.

10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Bang, Bang, Maxwell's silver hammer cam down on his head!!!!

11. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

wagomkiller, those bars you have, i believe were made by a co. in new jersy called N.M.W. manufacturing, they also made tow bars and tow-hubs. i believe the were of the weld-on type. Lakewood also made bar that looked the same but of the bolt-on type (cheesy looking)

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

HERDEZ, Gotta say I love your avitar. It almost looks like a Jr. Stocker engine would have; save for a carb spacer, Pan-E-Vac system, and a few other tricks-of-the-time. Butch/56sedandelivery (AKA junior stocker on Hotrodders.com).

13. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Thanks guys! i know what i need. they be Swap Meat!

14. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

charlie belotti was still using nmw flat tow hubs on his 57 chevy last I saw

15. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Pete! What CAN i say! Thanks man!

enjoy was an understatement!

after realizing YES! that long old headliner DOES have to come out today,that just made getting crap dropped all over myself Sooooooo worth it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  16. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

17. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

Thanks to Super Tom Larson, who tracked me down and dropped a dime (OK a quarter!) I was turned on to this site/thread. Wow!! Talk about Memory Lane.

A little known occurrence. Back in I believe it was either '69 or '70 coming home from Indy, I spotted a yellow '57 Chevy on a yellow truck on the side of the road. Turns out it was Frank Iaconio who had the misfortune of dropping a valve in the truck's motor. Andy Kish pulled up behind about a half hour later. Well, after discussing swapping motors with the race car (not enough people to get the car back up on the truck), we decided to "fix" it. Between the 3 of us, we came up with a spare intake valve, exhaust valve, hack saw to cut the rod off, gaskets, 3M "Yellow Death", and a beer can from the side of the road. Pushed the heavily coated with 3M piston (sans rod) into the cylinder to block the cracked block and cut up the beer can to block the intake and exhaust ports and proceeded to get on our way - on 7 cylinders. Andy and I had to stay a ways behind Frank due to the cloud of blue smoke and then, in the mountains of PA, we got a shock. It started raining and talk about instant blindness when we fired up the wipers!
    I don't remember what time it was when we decided to pull into a rest area for some sleep (it took me 29 hours from when we left Indy 'til we got home - it's normally 12 hours) but we parked as far away from the building as possible so we could sleep unimpeded. Well, about an hour later, we all woke up at the same time to the most God awful smell any of us had ever experienced. It seems a truck driver decided he'd do everybody in the rest area a favor by parking as far from the building as possible. Why? His cargo was PIGS!

Skip Asay

18. Hey bud, Good to hear from you. welcome our "little" gathering.
    Mark

19. Throw those things back where you found them . All they did is add a third pivot point to your coil suspension, causing a bind . If it weren't for the rubber everywhere,you'd have a rock solid suspension. You COULD blow up your Hi-Jackers all the way,so you could blame the ride on them.
    Pure 70's..Have a nice day!

BTW, those fabbed type slapper bars would be period correct for your car, and would work okay.

20. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

hey they were free! somebody somewhere wants em!I thought the'd match those louvers nice! HAha!(just jagging ya man)

I shot an e-mail to george he told me what i need

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Skip,

Good to see you here!

Do you remember the race where these shots were taken?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Delmar, 1972. This is the Stocker race that I talked track owner Charlie Cathell into running. I remember a great turn-out (around 200 cars, I think) and Charlie getting everyone pissed when he decided to run the entire field over again for 3rd & 4th place money. We had Div. 2 & 3 cars that got home awful late on Sunday.

22. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Hi Skip.....Its good to see your still alive and well. I dont know if you remember me or not but I still have the NHRA Div. 1 certification team picture that was taken with us in it in 1974. Its good to see your are out of N.J. (taxes) and living in a better place....lol. Take care.
    Terry Bell :)

23. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

Hi Terry -

I would love to see that pic!

TMcCrea -

I remember that well! Those were truly the "good old days". It was really a blast to be in Division One with all the Stock Eliminator events.

Somebody wrote around the beginning of this thread that bracket racing killed his interest. Truth be known, I can say the same thing. When bracket racing first started, it was touted as the ideal way to get the newcomers interested. You know, get them involved enough to see if they were interested enough to step up to the plate with a passion. Then, with the tremendous interest generated, the payouts went up.....for the bracket guys.....but not for us serious racers. Here's the scenario. I work 40 hours a week for the man then come home and put in another 40 working on my car. Joe Schmoe borrows daddy's new car, rents a helmet, pulls the hubcaps, and makes a pass. He then writes the time on the windshield and proceeds to head for the back of the pits where he then enjoys the charms of his honey. When all is said and done, he has the ability to win $200 while the most I can make is $150. What's wrong with this picture?

Skip Asay

24. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

It just dawned on me. That Delmar event was '71 not '72. The convertible shown was still a stocker in '71 but became Super Stock with the rules change for '72.

I remember that as a Super Stocker, the convertible just wouldn't hack it. I suppose it could be said that I didn't give it enough time. At the time, I had a '69 Chevelle wagon that I had originally purchased to put a 350 in for....I don't remember what class. Well, I decided that by converting the '69 to a '68 it would fall right at the top of the next lower class at 14.00 lbs. per. I made this decision on Sunday night on my way home from Englishtown. I unloaded and proceeded to strip everything out of the convertible Sunday night but I had to wait until Monday night for the wagon since I had loaned it to my brother in law. Bottom line.....I had it at Englishtown that Wednesday and it ran right on the record. I never looked back. That proved to be the winningest car I ever ran.

Skip Asay

25. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Skip you had a 4dr Chevelle like this one

Attached Files:

26. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

Not so. The only car I ever ran that had 4 doors was the Chevelle wagon. Before that was a '57 2 door and a '57 sedan delivery.

Skip Asay

27. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

And, of course, the '68 convertible.

Skip Asay

28. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Only saw your (feared) '57 delivery once ... at Cecil, as I recall. Had a great view of your tailgate in the traps. Didn't feel too bad at all ... gettin beat by one of the very best in the sport!

Welcome to the forum!

Best Regards,
    ... Steve

29. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

Steve - Thanks for the kudos but "one of the very best in the sport!"? Not hardly. While I was able to pull it off on occasion I don't think that applies. I sure had a lot of fun trying, though!

Skip Asay

30. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

..any shots of Skip's delivery / 2 door anywhere or did I already miss them on here ??? thanks!!