Register now to get rid of these ads!

Conroe,Texas Roadster in wreck......Hambr ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sad. And I generally agree on the seat belts, but with a car like that, I am not 100% sure I wouldn't just want to be thrown clear. Being strapped in the car and it rolling over on top of you might not be the best situation. But, short of a roll over, obviously the belts can definitely protect you otherwise in any other kind of trouble. I definitely don't think I want to be strapped in the rumble seat and be turning over in that kind of car.

It is probably somewhat of a miracle that 3 out of 4 survived. I think the reminder is that with this kind of car that offers very little in the way of crash protection is that you need to be double and triple careful to avoid accidents as much as humanly possible and then just hope it never happens. Either that, or put the roll bars in, etc. as mentioned.

Best wishes for the people and families involved.

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

ditto this ^^^^^
    and yes, very sad event :(

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Very sad to see. :(

4. billylo

billylo

Wow this is horrible. I can't believe an 80 year old lady was driving this though. I would have loved to meet her and hear her story. Sadly I never will. Horrible!!

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thats heavy stuff.
    God bless Prayers sent...

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Wow that is very sad

7. crashgravis

crashgravis

very sad indeed . i wish the survivors a full recovery .

8. NIGHT-CRAWER

NIGHT-CRAWER

Sad thing to hear,prayers going out!!!!

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      496 KB
      Views:
  9. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From reading the quote from the witnesses in the parking lot that they had just left moments before it sounded like the throttle stuck on the car.

I'll agree that we need to be self policing before someone else decides that they need to do it for us.
    Things as simple as having another rodder go over your car and make notes of anything that he/she sees that may cause problem and need to be addressed.

And a problem area on a lot of cars is throttle linkage that sticks or overcenters if you floor it.

As a strong an advocate of seat belt use as I am, I still don't know if that would have saved the driver or lessened injuries to the passengers in this case but at least it may have kept her firmly strapped in place so she could concentrate on controlling the car.

11. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

a horrible tragedy,,,,,,,,, prayers to the family.....

12. BBobb

BBobb

Me and my wife were at the Roundup 2007 a couple of years ago,and were exiting off hwy 35 on to Riverside and about that time my throttle cable stuck. I tried stomping it to brake it loose and before i blinked an eye i was doing around 60 mph on the feeder.I almost shit my pants.Finally got my snap and turned the key off.Never forget that one

13. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Prayers to the family. May we all be a bit more cautious with this sad reminder.

14. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I'm from the area and don't know the car or the people. I tradgedy none the less.

15. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

80 year old car

16. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

First, my sympathies to the families affected.

Second, in looking at the photo of the wreck, it appears to me the car did not "roll over", only laid on its side. Note the lack of damage to the windshield and rumble lid. There is major damage to the left side and quarter panel from what I assume is the primary impact. The questions I would have is were the injuries and death caused by lateral or penetrating forces from the primary impact, or from crushing injuries from being hit by moving wreckage. Seat belts might not have made a difference in the former, and significantly helped in the latter. My vote is with an open car you are better staying with the car than entering the "get crushed vs thrown clear" lottery.

The recent wreck of the 34 coupe from Ontario also shows the importance of seat belts.

17. 55chevr

55chevr

I am sure that all our prayers are with the families. We all do this for fun and sometimes forget that speed kills. Let's all rededicate ourselves to building safely and driving safely.

18. RAY With

RAY With

This is very close to home and is a favorite hang out for one of our local car clubs.

That area where the accident happened is a large club hang out on weekends.I have never seen this car or know the people but my prayers go out to them all. Below is the article as written

Daredeth Perry Ward, 45, of Willis was pronounced dead on arrival at Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, Houston.

Daredeth Ward was the driver. Passenger Amy Ward, 33, was also transported to Hermann Hospital in Houston with “serious” injuries, and her 15-year-old daughter was transported to the same facility with “critical” injuries. It was not immediately clear how Daredeth and Amy Ward were related, since their age difference was only 12 years.

The fourth occupant was a 16-year-old family friend who was transported to Conroe Regional Medical Center with minor injuries. She was treated and released.

William Mayo and his fiancé witnessed the crash from the parking lot of the China Buffet, where he said the car left westbound moments before the crash. Mayo did not see the Roadster make a u-turn back toward the freeway, but he noticed the headlights as the car began to turn sideways, he said.

“It hit the curb, went up in the air and it just flipped,” Mayo said. “That’s when I came running over.”

Three of the four occupants were unresponsive. The fourth, an injured 15-year-old girl, was trying to get away from the car, he said.

The rear axle broke off and landed a few yards from the car, with two of the tires still attached.

Conroe Police Sgt. Bob Berry issued a press release Sunday afternoon that stated the initial investigation indicated the four women were not wearing seatbelts. Further investigation and witness interviews supported the explanation that the car accelerated rapidly, exceeding the 40 mph speed limit, losing traction and sliding sideways into the esplanade where it flipped about one-and-a-half times, ejecting the occupants.

Conroe Police Officers and members of the Community Oriented Response Team (CORT) began the investigation on-scene and are continuing that investigation as of this writing.

19. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

The car could have been going at such a speed it flipped completely over without touching the windshield.

20. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

sad news. ya gotta be ready to turn the key off all the time.

21. aldixie

aldixie

Prayers for those injured and a quick recovery. Sorry to see one of them lost her life.

22. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  23. racer756

racer756

Prayers sent..

24. Babyearl

Babyearl

It appears that the windshield glass is plate and not safety glass. Tragic to say the least.

25. falfas55

falfas55

Very sad to hear. Please wear your seat belts.Prayers to family members and all involved.FALFA

26. Could be that the rear end tore loose on one side under load too. Whatever the cause it would be good to at least look over each others work. A new HAMB tradition?

27. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

A very sad situation no matter who is involved or what the circumstances. As much as i am pissed at n.s.r.a. Right now ,their 23 safety inspection program has helped prevent a lot of these type situations. Their inspectors are very careful when checking a car even to the point of giving you tips about safety items beyond passing their program. Hats off to those guys and any program started by the hamb or any other hot rod org. Can't do anything but help.

28. last g-man

last g-man

.....kinda what I was thinkin' as well. Did it's flip while air bourne-ish?
    Prayers out as well. Gettin' belts for the Plymouth B4 it hits the road. Always was the plan, but this is a very sad way of reminding all of us.

g

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Sorry to hear about this and my prayers go out to the family.Hope they all recover well.

30. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

I'm Praying for you and your family Roy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.