Register now to get rid of these ads!

Conroe,Texas Roadster in wreck......Hambr ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBobb

BBobb

While watching the local news this morning i cought the tail end of reporter speaking of a 29 roadster that was in a bad wreck up around the Conroe area a little northeast of Houston.Appears to have been a bad one.I know there are quite a few HAMB members that live up that away.There were no names mention.Regardless,i hope everything turns out ok for them.Here's the info i got off the news station website

Sunday, June 14, 2009 | 7:37 AM
    [​IMG]
    CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Four people are injured in a rollover crash in Conroe.
    The accident happened around 9:45pm Saturday on Loop 336 at the North Freeway. According to Conroe police, the group was in an 80-year-old car when the driver lost control and flipped onto a grassy median.
    Passengers were thrown from the vehicle. The youngest victim is 15 years old. She is the least injured. Three others are in serious condition.

2. BLAKE

BLAKE

Four people in a roadster... is that right?

3. Silva

Silva

Rumble seat occupants?

4. BBobb

BBobb

Yes there were four people.Not sure about there being a rumble seat .The info the reporter briefly spurted out is pretty much the same discription the website is giving

5. The newspaper does not often get the facts right , any old car is called a roadster, I would wait and get the facts form some Hamb member that lives in the area,,,,,

6. BBobb

BBobb

You are 100% correct,however the reporter did clearly state that it was a 29 year model roadster.Not that that is accurate

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

This sucks... I want more info... we got plenty of friends in that area.

8. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

thats not good, wonder why the public is confused about our cars-------blame the reporters

9. BBobb

BBobb

I am still watching the news.If anything else is mention i will update

10. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Just saw it. It was a topless car maroon in color. I couldn't see anything else.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  11. Brad S.

Brad S.

I don't recognize it off hand. Looks like it did have a rumble seat.

[​IMG]

12. Damn, I'm keeping my fingers crossed 'till we hear more.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Judging by the thickness of the top of the doors, it is likely a Coupster not a true roadster.
    Always sad when these accidents happen. A family is devastated, friends are distraught, the family of hotrodding is shaken.

Our prayers go out to the Father to take care of these good folks and their families and friends.

14. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

Know the area well. The 336 loop goes under I 45 with the ususal lights, turn lanes, etc. Nothing particularly different about it, but the number of lanes going every which way can be a bit confusing. There is an excellent hospital within a couple of miles, so they likely got emergency care really fast. Prayers.........slide

More pics and description...........

http://www.montgomerycountynews.net/index.php?module=article&view=573

15. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

based on the video it was pretty serious - prayers sent

16. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

first and formost prayers for those involved ,but im bothered by the engine being loose in car along with no rearend in the car along with the frame twisted not to mention a wooden floor . this is all for not if we dont come away with a better insight into improving our hobby . and no im not placing blame here just an observation that with all bad things some good can be salvaged . i hope for a fast recovery for all .c

17. terrible, prayers sent!!

18. Brewton

Brewton

Man, I hate this happened! My prayers are with the families!
    Does anyone know any more than what has already been reported?

19. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

20. I saw the twisted wreckage this morning on the news also, it did appear to have the deck lid open, rumble seat I would guess. It looked pretty mangled, I hope all the occupants do well through this.

21. Greezy

Greezy

Report says the driver was DOA. Sad.

22. Latest report is that the woman who was driving the car was pronounced dead on arrival at a nearby hospital. We all need to put seat belts in our cars if we don't have them. I have them in my truck and use them. Judging from the witness statement about the car accelerating very rapidly, I'm wondering about the possibility of a bad throttle cable causing it to hang open. That would be one of the first things I would look at. Happened to me on a nearly new at the time '90 Ford Ranger, scary.

23. Brad S.

Brad S.

From the Chronicle.

24. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

25. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Here is some video from the Montgomery County Reporter.

HERE

26. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

That sucks! I wish they had belts on..................

27. Whoever built that thing will now have to live with this forever. And I'm not just talking safety belts. We need to do more in our hobby to correct the safety issues or the government will step in and do it for us like in Europe. I saw a show on "Car Crazy" in which the antique guys are having to fight British Parliament to allow their cars on the road. All it will take is one incident like this wherein someone famous is involved or the incident itself is catastrophic enough or newsworthy enough. Just look at the "Scariest thing" thread. Should we set up a guideline to qualify for a HAMB safety inspection sticker?

28. blasted

blasted
    from N. Tex

Self policing,
    There are plenty of Ralph Natters out there that would love to bust our nuts.
    I have heard worst ideas. Some times the safety issue is due to lack of our own knowledge. I always enjoy a spare set of eyes on the safety issues.

29. GlenC

GlenC

What a tragedy, 3 generations of one family dead or seriously injured.

I'm still in the 'dreaming' stage of my build, but whatever I end up with, it will have...

roll bar with headrests.
    3 point harnesses for every seat.
    dual master cylinder with disc brakes on the front at least.

As a father/grandfather I can't even begin to imagine what's gong through the members of that family's minds right now. My sincerest sympathies go out to them.

Cheers, Glen.

30. BigDfromthe303

BigDfromthe303

How awful, my prayers are with the family!

Wear your seatbelts! Things like this happen to often and could have possibly been prevented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.