Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod Wreck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ajmopar, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Like I said, I drove by this wreck shortly after it happened. It was laying on the passenger side. I assume the EMR guys pulled the drivers door off to make sure there was no one else inside.
    The issue of it being a Street Beast is non an proventus (not an issue).
    I will check with my car buddy who knows the driver to see how he is doing. Hard to believe his injuries are not life threatenining after getting tossed out of it.

2. henryj429

henryj429

Properly installed seat belts. Seat belts alone don't do much if they're not correctly installed. This may seem obvious, but I've seen a quite a few scary installations.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad for sure. I hope he's OK too. Seat belts may or may not have helped in something like this. Anything less than a single shoulder harness coupled with a good lap belt is a false sense of security. There's where it gets difficult to add additional safety to a hotrod or collector car. I did a lil over 5 years in crash and safety for Ford. Got to see a test crash at the barrier (crash test site) and it's amazing to see the effects even at slow speeds. I watched a 45-45 test meaning a 45deg angle at 45MPH, and the test was for less intrusion of the wheel/tire by pucturing it after "X" amount of rear travel. The theory has potential in select applications. Again I hope he's doing OK and wish him a speedy recovery.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

People wearing seatbelts get thrown from cars all the time. Nowhere have I read that he was beltless.
    I always wear mine, btw...

Prayers for a speedy recovery!

5. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

That sucks , and to those idiots that want to blame the driver / builder , FUCK YOU ! - Accidents are accidents , they happen to anyone for any reason at any time and it's never good ! Self-rightous negativity is nonproductive and stinks to high Heaven, so stick your head back up your ass and suck some more !

6. That is the worst for this poor guy.......Hopefully he is okay and will mend!!!

7. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I agree. Unless you were sitting in the drivers seat you have no idea what really happened. It may not have even been his fault. Lighten up.
    ____________________________________________________________ Like I told the kid, "Your music's not too loud, it's just like OKC, it sucks!"

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch, sad no matter what the cause.

I'd have to agree that being belted in and staying in would have been a lot better than being thrown out. Outside of the missing door the car looks like it held up pretty well as far as the main structure of the car goes. As well as any glass car can in a roll over accident.

I think at this time the proper thing to do is withhold our judgment until we get more details on what happened.

I buckle up every time I get in any of my rigs an have a hell of a time getting my wife to even though she fell out of the truck 30 years ago when the door flew open on a left turn.

9. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

I'm with Ned Gob on this one.....Looks like the coupe held up very well......

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yikes!!!

Hope he is ok...

Waiting on more details.

11. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

yikes. best wishes to all involved.

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I think that will buff out....

13. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I did a 360 plus a 180 degree spin at 80mph in my Model A. What is pictured above was all I could think about as the guard rail approached. Anti-sway bars may have made the difference in this. Bear claw door latches and seat belts are the cheapest safety devices your money can buy.

It looks like that glass car held up really well!

14. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

YOu can get 3 point retractable belts at Southern for $49.95 ea. I just bought a set for my 47 project. Link: http://www.southernrods.com/categories/safety-equipment/seatbelts/products/product-1827.html

15. 100% Matt

100% Matt

16. LargeB

LargeB

Wow! Scary. First I've heard of this. I take that exit every morning and usually drive by there westbound every night but left a little early yesterday.
    I'm not a praying man but I hope to hear the driver makes a speedy, full recovery. 36couper, please post an update once you hear anything.

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Wow, that is one seriously messed up car. I would like to see pictures of it sitting someplace after the crash. Looks like the driver side of the front end must have made contact with the rail, by the way the front wheel/fender are twisted. That would have put him almost backwards at that point. Experence tells me those style guard rails give a huge bounce effect. Don't see any marks on the roof, inducating after the rail contact it may have spun around and layed on its side. Would have been a "E" ticket ride for sure. The door may be part of the debree field from after contact with the rail.
    Hope things work out OK for him.
    Sure would like to see a results picture collection of this car. Gene

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

19. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

DANG, hope he is alright!

20. GuyW

GuyW

Tie the body down to the frame, too.

I have a photo of a Model A PU rod that crashed, and the cab came off the frame...

It'd really hurt if your seat belt across you was the only thing tieing the cab to the frame...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Couldn't agree more. Sorry to hear about the accident, of course. Gary

22. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

and that is why i have a roll bar and aircraft seat belt in my rod. I also have the roll bar and seatbelt mounted to the floor framework. That way, if i ever get in a wreck and the body breaks free, im still safe, well safe -er

23. Any news yet today on the driver?
    Keep us in touch on his condition?
    Thanks!

24. Truckedup

Truckedup

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    No ones blaming the driver,we're all thinking what could have happened.Accidents just don't happen ,there's always a reason for it.Maybe the guy was minding his own business and another car clipped him,causing a wreck.Maybe there was a mechanical or tire failure.And how a car and driver handles this kind of situation is all important. Some of us have been there and maybe wrecked or didn't.
    And just about every post here is hoping the best of the guy involved.

25. He was between 2 women in their early 20's driving a hot rod, I'd be lucky to make it out the driveway.

26. Yeah, we are not immune from circumstances that effect every other driver on the road but we often think we are.

27. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

There was a clearer picture of the car in the local paper today. At one point it was on its roof. For a glass car, it sure held its own. The roof was dented in but still intact.
    I've previously seen the car up close but never noticed any roll cage of some sort.

I made a call to a friend of mine to get the latest on how the driver is doing. Should hear back from him tonight.

28. missysdad1

missysdad1

One point that has not been made is that seat belts can sometimes help PREVENT an accident by keeping the driver in his seat and able to steer/accelerate/brake his way out of an impending wreck.

In a skid, perhaps after having been bumped by another vehicle at speed, the driver needs to stay planted firmly behind the wheel, not hanging onto it for dear life, in order to maintain control of the vehicle.

Same goes for the passengers who can also bounce around the passenger compartment if not held in place by seat belts, sometimes interfering with the driver, preventing him from doing his job.

Experienced road race drivers know that their best chance of avoiding a crash is to DRIVE their way out of it. Same thing applies on the street.

Just my $.02 :)

29. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

hope this guy is ok, i dont know what happened but at least hes alive

30. +1^

There is no such thing as an "accident"

Hope he's gonna pull through.