Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine mounts in 53 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2-7 split, Jun 2, 2009.

1. 2-7 split

2-7 split

Ok, I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm putting a 350 and a Muncie 4 speed into my 53 Chevy. I bought the mounts from chassis engineering. The location their directions say to put the mounts is currently occupied by the steering box. I could mount them about 1/2 an inch forward and they won't hit anything. So has anyone used these mounts and where did you end up putting them? I don't think the 1/2 an inch is going to be a problem, but just wanted to check with anyone who's used these before. Thanks.

--Jason

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

? I think you are measuring backwards. I put in a sbc/sag 4 speed over winter, same setup as you basically, same mounts. Here is what I did. I put it in, measured the fins, cut, put it back in with the mounts just sitting, trimmed the firewall some more, and I still need it back a smidge more. then I located the holes and drilled. driver side manifold from a smog era car, ram horn passenger side.

3. 2-7 split

2-7 split

ok, thanks. I measured how the directions show, I guess I just need to get the engine in there and see where everything needs to go. I don't know if it matters, but this is a 210 4 door and originally an auto.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You know, Bloodyknuckles was measuring his 401 Nailhead and we were all swearing it wasn't going to fit unless he cut his fire wall. He decided to just hoist it on up and see with his own eyes and low and behold there is a ton of room left and the thing looks like it was made for it!!!

5. tedsrodshop

tedsrodshop

Does the car have power steering? Power steering box's are bigger and get in the way of a V-8.

6. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Shame you have already bought the mounts, without doubt the best mounts around are from Walton Fabrication. They use existing holes in your chassis to line up, then weld in. Simple, no guess work. I think they are on here under Sluggo88. Real nice guys very helpful.

7. 2-7 split

2-7 split

I got these ones because I don't have anywhere to plug my welder in. I should wire up that barn sometime.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ditto!:cool:

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I bought these same Chassis Engineering mounts and will be installing the V-8 soon. I have an old article from HOT ROD MAGAZINE, 1968, where they use the old style Hurst front saddle mount, slid the engine forward, DID NOT cut the firewall supports, and moved the radiator forward by cutting into the valance panel. It looks like these mounts will also slide forward. HOT ROD made a rear trans mount that's very different than Chassis Engineerings rear mount. I don't really want to cut the firewall supports, and I want to bolt in the engine mounts as opposed to welding them in. Same for the trans mount. Not that I don't have a welder, but I'd like to be able to return it to somewhat stock, somewhat easily. This is going to wind up being my nephews car, and he wanted to go the V-8 route; I wanted to just update the six to the later model 194-292 style, and keep the stock 3-speed column shift and enclosed driveline. Butch/56sedandelivery.